Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Car isn't gonna be ready today. The parts came in late this morning and they're still working on it. Replacing the rear main seal isn't a quickie job. At least I won't have the leak anymore. Service Advisor didn't mention anything about my smoking turbo issue. I guess they couldn't get it to smoke. I'll ask about it whenever I pick her up.

Last edited:
she smoked for the dealer! 5w40 is in, but they put 5w30 in by mistake, so ive had the oil changed 3 times in 100 miles, i guess the system is nice and clean(cabpatch)

now i just gotta make it smoke again.....shouldnt e too hard

yea idk what to think. its good that it smoked, but bad that its potentially shot...not sure how to feel right now (uhm)

Car isn't gonna be ready today. The parts came in late this morning and they're still working on it. Replacing the rear main seal isn't a quickie job. At least I won't have the leak anymore. Service Advisor didn't mention anything about my smoking turbo issue. I guess they couldn't get it to smoke. I'll ask about it whenever I pick her up.

Well they finished up the rear main seal today, but the master tech. found that the front axle seal was leaking. They're overnighting the parts needed to fix that today and should get here tmrow. Should be done tomorrow at some point, but they can't guarantee since the part might not get there till later in the day and they need three hours to complete it. If that's the case, they'll try and get me into a rental. Part of me is glad that they'll be able to fix another issue under warranty while they have it, but it's a bit inconvenient. And I didn't see any traces of the axle leaking. Is that something really noticeable? Or is there a chance they caused it and had to fix their mistake? I better give the car a very good lookover when I get it.

I asked about the smoking turbo and he said they weren't able to replicate it yet, but the car has been up on the rack for a couple days so they haven't been able to drive it. When I brought it in, they were going to put in the 5W-40 even if they didn't see any smoke, but since I had already done it, they topped off the job with 5W-40 (supposedly). I put in Rotella Synthetic...I doubt they used that. Will that cause any issues?

my dealer told me from now on i could only use castrol 5w40. ill try and find out why castrol is so good when i pick it up in a few hrs

A member on MS Forums posted this;

Well, looks like Mazda is no longer replacing the turbos, I'm picking my car up from the dealer tonight. I'm just getting free oil changes until they figure out a fix which should be mid 2010. hopefully it's sooner.

I have found some rebuild kits they all seem to go for about 100 bucks. The manifold gaskets add another 30 or so. I hope this is not already been covered, but are the other Ko4 apps having this problem? VW and Audi? I have not read anything bad about the k03 besides its size. And nothing at all about the k06.

I have found some rebuild kits they all seem to go for about 100 bucks. The manifold gaskets add another 30 or so. I hope this is not already been covered, but are the other Ko4 apps having this problem? VW and Audi? I have not read anything bad about the k03 besides its size. And nothing at all about the k06.

The VAG K04 is a different design than ours. I have a friend with a Mk4 GTI and he was looking into it for me and found that out. Apparently their modified design doesn't have these issues like we do. I believe that has to do with better/tighter tolerances for the main seals. German design wouldn't allow for anything like what we're seeing.

That is interesting. That might affect how i order a rebuild kit. If you have more info you think i should know please pm me Steve. I do not know if i agree about the german rep on this.
The Porsche 911 air cooled and some water cooled boxers are notorious for the seals in the crankcase leaking and the high pressure oil lines too. To split a crankcase for a rebuild cost many thousands to replace the "very poor quality" seals. I was helping a friend do some research on his 1983 911 Targa. And almost every mechanic and shop we talked to said the same thing. Poor quality seals are common to Porsche.
Every car has at Least one weak point. This one is glaring and really annoying one. and Mazda is not helping us. Whether it dealership or MazdaNA. If this was significant, i would have thought the 2010 would have some changes. Does the new one use the same Turbo?
Now Steve you know that i am not being a smart ass, and i know you have been very unhappy about your speed 3. It make me sick that people have this problem.
I am quite excited to pull my turbo and inspect it and rebuild it. I hope to learn alot.
If i google the VAG what should i google or search for, in regard to ours. I knew there were variations just not sure what they are. Thanks for your help!
e

just got home from my dealer.

The district rep made a visit today, apparently they like to pop in unexpected so heads up for anyone that has a "mod friendly" dealer. He had a look at my car. Both the service manager and the district rep agreed that mazda has their heads up their own asses with the fix. There is a new bulliten that supercedes another bulletin dated January 2010. It calls for the oil change and then turbo replacement. Service manager showed it to me briefly and i didnt see anything about PCV parts replacement.

This is the interesting part. There is a new turbo revision, i didnt get the model number, but only late 2009 and 2010s have this turbo. Supposedly that is the one that does not leak. so 08.5's and early 09s are still susceptible to a smoking turbo.

Im currently running 5w40 and was told as many have heard before, to bring it in if it happens again. They made a copy of all my receipts for their records as well. If it does smoke, they are replacing the turbo (not sure what you heard storm, i asked about them denying and my dealer hasnt heard anything about it)

So there it is. We're all ******.

Mike

Last edited:
just got home from my dealer.

The district rep made a visit today, apparently they like to pop in unexpected so heads up for anyone that has a "mod friendly" dealer. He had a look at my car. Both the service manager and the district rep agreed that mazda has their heads up their own asses with the fix. There is a new bulliten that supercedes another bulletin dated January 2010. It calls for the oil change and then turbo replacement. Service manager showed it to me briefly and i didnt see anything about PCV parts replacement.

This is the interesting part. There is a new turbo revision, i didnt get the model number, but only late 2009 and 2010s have this turbo. Supposedly that is the one that does not leak. so 08.5's and early 09s are still suseptable to a smoking turbo.

Im currently running 5w40 and was told as many have heard before, to bring it in if it happens again. They made a copy of all my receipts for their records as well. If it does smoke, they are replacing the turbo (not sure what you heard storm, i asked about them denying and my dealer hasnt heard anything about it)

So there it is. We're all ******.

Mike

Mike, any chance you can get the dealer to copy/email/print that bulletin out? I'd like to add that to this post. Also, since my last turbo went on in April 2009, the revision was Rev. C on the turbo, so my guess is that the new ones are Rev. D. I have a local guy who's having issues with the turbo, so I'm going to see what he can pull out for me at our local dealers.

Bottom line, we still shouldn't be messing with this bulls*** and it needs a resolution.

The VAG K04 is a different design than ours. I have a friend with a Mk4 GTI and he was looking into it for me and found that out. Apparently their modified design doesn't have these issues like we do. I believe that has to do with better/tighter tolerances for the main seals. German design wouldn't allow for anything like what we're seeing.

The K04-001 is way smaller I believe it caps out at like 240hp FLYWHEEL.. And was not on any car here the k03s was the only one that came stock on some models. The k04-001 is barely an upgrade from the k03s. Like 10-20hp maybe

The k04-23 I Belive thats the one is larger and on the AUDI TT quattro 225hp models its a different turbo altogether.

I just purchased the used turbo and will rebuild it right away. What do you folks suggest i do to try to improve it. is there an option some where for tighter seals or a better materials. This should be a good experience for me. I have access to a pretty good inspection department at work and should be able to get some pretty accurate measurements.
My goal is to rebuild that one and then pull my current one. The stinkey one, and check that one over. This might take a little while. But if anyone wants me to look at anything in particular or has any suggestions at all please feel free to pm. me.
I will start another thread when i begin. I paypaled today for turbo and will order kit soon. Where can i get tolerance specs or can one of you folks supply them?
Sorry for the thread high jack everyone but i have been thinking on this awhile. Because of this issue and all my brothers and sisters who Speed. Axisboldaslove has give me the opportunity to see what condition my stock turbo is in after 53000 mile of fun and a lot of driving her hard and putting away wet. after i cooled the turbo down,of course/lol
As i mentioned i have many other personal projects this summer so it might be slow going. Any and All help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
my dealer told me from now on i could only use castrol 5w40. ill try and find out why castrol is so good when i pick it up in a few hrs

That's BullSH*t dude. I am using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 that my dealer put in themselves. I don't think the brand matters. If it's gonna smoke, it will regardless of oil brand. But indeed, no less than 5W-40 should be used. My car has had 1000 miles since the dealer did the fix and no smoke so far even after i beat on it.

Back