Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Yes. the invoice says 5W-20. I will back check though on all of them (yes i have them all) to see if the same oil was used or if it was changed over at some point.

If i can get a print out of the recommendation for 5W-20, i will post it up too.

I'm betting that's what their computer says, just like my dealer, and they're bullshitting excuses just to shut you up.

Problem is they haven't updated their information (don't know if it's their fault or Mazda NA). I finally got Mazda NA to admit to me, via email, that they need to update their online 2007 Owner's Manual PDF, after they were first telling me to follow it (and the dealer's recommendation) and put in 5W-20.

I'm betting that's what their computer says, just like my dealer, and they're bullshitting excuses just to shut you up.

Problem is they haven't updated their information (don't know if it's their fault or Mazda NA). I finally got Mazda NA to admit to me, via email, that they need to update their online 2007 Owner's Manual PDF, after they were first telling me to follow it (and the dealer's recommendation) and put in 5W-20.

What I find odd about that is that my dealer has 5w-30 recommended for the oil change. The N/A motors IIRC use 5w-20 (same as the Ford 2.3 and 3.7) so they may assume they're all the same.

Interesting, most likely the problem here at my dealer.

**Dealer Update**

Just got my MS6 back from the dealer. Mazda was anal at first with giving the OK for the dealer to do the fix, however it was finally done after 2 weeks. The service guy was nice enough to let me see the actual TSB checklist sheet from Mazda on the smoking turbo issue and it looked almost identical to what tunersteve posted before on here.

So far on my SPD6, 5W-40 Pennzoil Platinum was used to replace the Mobil 1 5W-30 I had on before. Also, LF05-14-302A Mazda OEM filter was used to replace my HP-1009 K&N oil filter (damn). Because the car was still under warranty, I wasn't charged. Drove on the highway for about 50 miles with mixed driving and so far, no smoke has returned. Will update you guys if smoking returns.

Seems to me that this engine will eventually smoke no matter what. And who knows how much life we are loosing on our 02 sensors and cats because of all the oil running thru the exhaust. This should be a recall or maybe enough of us can get together to make it a Class Action Lawsuit to force a recall ???
In my experiences, once a seal starts to leak it is always going to leak till it is replaced. And it seems this PCV fix is just going to be a band-aid to get our cars past warranty. Which is coming up for some of these cars.
Has anyone ever contacted Mazda Corporation directly about this issue ?? Because it seems some dealers are helpful but some are not. And if one dealer is doing something they all should be.
I am just wondering because I am starting down this road and even though my dealer has done the TSB I wonder what is going to happen the next time it smokes badly again. ( It already smokes lightly once in a while) Any way sorry for the rant but this is really bothering me.

Anyone Contacted Mazda NA About their issue ???

Anyone Contacted Mazda NA About their issue ???

No, but I will if my car smokes again and they WILL give me what I want regardless of warranty issues since everything was documented and my car is basically still stock. A little violence goes a long way.

Took mine to Mazda today, they ran a few diagnostics and filled it with 5w40. Only has smoked once and I let it idle for about 5-10 minutes every few days. If it does it again I will be taking it back to Mazda. Have only had the CX-7 for 3 months and have already taken it twice to the dealership lol

Hello everyone, this is so not a fun dialogue but here is my latest report.
I am in the transition stage with my turbo. I had some heavy smoke twice after some lenghty idles last fall. One from startup and then going back in the house for ten minutes. and the other time was while idling at a busy carwash line not long after. That was a proud moment!
I bought/installed the ptp pill. Drove a little. And then put the car up for Winter.
The car just came out again for spring summer!
I just changed the oil again last weekend with RP 5w-30. I have had an oil smell after some heavy loading of the engine. But i have not reproduced the smoke fest. And i have tried.
I will assume my turbo seals are worn and i hope to rebuild the turbo next off season unless something occurs before then.
I hope to give a better report next weekend as i plan to thrash her for all she is worth. If it is going to smoke at all it will by sunday.
The viscosity and tolerances and emissions and mileage all tie together of course.
But what Mazda recommends should just plain work.
People like me second guessing, and i do, is kind of silly.
For those of you who are stock, i would be furious too! and i am sorry that the Big M has not tried to make customers happy, Seriously.
But for folks like me. who modded the car without knowing enough. And get smoke.
I cannot blame Mazda. I need to put a bigger ball bearing turbo on it. That is how I fix stuff. ha!

Last edited:
Ok folks. I've been thinking.. and thinking.. because thats all I've been able to do about this smoke issue. One day I was thinking and a thought came to mind. Crazy I know. We've been spinning our wheels in this forum as have others elsewhere with this problem. Maybe its time to bring the severity of this problem to the attention of a single mazda dealer of our choosing. As in we all find a mazda dealer, decide on a day, get in a group and all show up during a sale a thon or a some sort of major auto sale day say a saturday and sit there and let ALL of our cars sit and smoke for as long as possible. The next weekend we move to another dealership and do the same until someone decides to call Mazda and get a representative on the phone with a definate solution to this problem. In light of the Toyota no breaks issue I wouldn't be suprised if we ended up on the news. We can continue to sit in here and talk about how so many dealerships either don't know, know and don't say or simply don't care about this issue until all our warranties lapse and our turbo seals burst or until... nothing.

What do u guys think?

-Lamont

That is actually a great idea. maybe. Gandhi would approve, and Martin Luther King too. I ran her hard today and can smell oil. i just cannot get the big smoke.
I will continue to thrash this weekend as best as i can. It's the least i can do for my forum brothers and sisters.
e

I'd do it, but there's only a few MS3 owners in town that I know of.

I found that if I do what they say in the bulletin and let the car sit for a few minutes I can come up with the smoke pretty much everytime. I switched back to the normal oil and found that I smoke alot less than the conversion but its still there.

The issue is with the CX7, MS3 and MS6 so if we go to the other forums for those cars we could probably find more people in our respective areas to join us. I have Easter with the fam this weekend and a wedding to go to in Minnesota next week but it doesn't have to happen that soon. Judging by how long we've waited we still have time. I HAVE A DREAM! lol. Lets all start looking around the various other forums and see what we come up with.

The issue is with the CX7, MS3 and MS6 so if we go to the other forums for those cars we could probably find more people in our respective areas to join us. I have Easter with the fam this weekend and a wedding to go to in Minnesota next week but it doesn't have to happen that soon. Judging by how long we've waited we still have time. I HAVE A DREAM! lol. Lets all start looking around the various other forums and see what we come up with.

Sounds like the Million Mazda March.

we can even bring some water and put in in the exhausts of those that arent smoking, so it looks like they are.....that'll add a ton more mazdas to the mix ;)

We don't have to roll in huge numbers either 5 cars sitting idleing smoking in the parking lot there would be proof enough. Maybe we all go in packs of 4-5 on the same day to dealerships and film it and post it on youtube or something. Send a link to Mazda telling them we are planning to all get together at a single location next time... blah blah blah. See what happens.

you should do it in front of a bunch of environmental tree huggers. theyre ****** nuts and will fight the battle for you

Back