Official 2011 Mazda5 Thread

I guess the more I look at the more its growing on me....The smiley face actually looks better on this vehicle than on other newer Mazda. Just hope the side skirts and rear wing make it over and the 6 speed on a model other than the base sport model.

I like better the way the back lights are now than this version. I think the way the lights has always been is a signature of the Mazda 5. But in overall I like it!

Attachments

• SDC10675.JPG
    SDC10675.JPG
    536.7 KB · Views: 250
OK, here we go, picture a grocery store or a school parking lot:

22 Camrys, 18 Corollas, 16 Civics, 12 Accords, 8 Siennas and 6 Odysseys = vanilla
1 Mazda5 = cool

;)

I like better the way the back lights are now than this version. I think the way the lights has always been is a signature of the Mazda 5. But in overall I like it!

My sentiments exactly. I just get the feeling that the higher the back lights are, the more visible they are.

I Just hope the side skirts and rear wing make it over and the 6 speed on a model other than the base sport model.

Agreed! I had mentioned the same thing in the "Official" thread. :)

is it going to be larger? I thought I read it was going to be "MPV-sized"...which is a bit larger than the current "5".

OK, here we go, picture a grocery store or a school parking lot:

22 Camrys, 18 Corollas, 16 Civics, 12 Accords, 8 Siennas and 6 Odysseys = vanilla
1 Mazda5 = cool

;)

Bro, don't forget reverse affirmative action and equal opportunity, etc.... you can't forget the hooptie Chevy Ventures and Dodge Caravans you'll find in those parking lots, not sure what's beneath the vanilla-rank though, just plain ice?

My vote is for the 2011 MZ5. I'll wait another year.

Hate to tell you guys, but you're deluding yourselves. Going down the road the 5 is about as vanilla as the Accord to 90%+ of the population - and since it doesn't have the power (or potential power) of the Accord, most of those who don't see them as vanilla would not choose the 5 as the "cooler" car. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and has zoom-zoom and is a great car, but to most of those who don't drive one, "it's a minivan". They're wrong, of course. But that's the perception - it's not a "cool" car like the 3 or the Civic or even the Smart.

A MZ5 (any year) will get head nods as long as its in True Red. Its the new black.

I can take it or leave it. The dash is an improvement, although that little peak in the gauge cluster hood would drive me nuts.

I'm far more interested in more functionality... quieter ride, better fuel mileage, longer maintenance intervals, etc. The looks really aren't that important to me.

Az

(fart) (puke)

I just threw up a little bit right there, ...
WHY did you have to post this, oh lord..
I want to go rub dog crap into my eyes
as hard as I can(crazy), they just
"Soccer Mom'ed" this "Mini-van" (freak)

1. The waves on the side look, ga...yea
for soccer moms! (jerkit)

2. The ground effects kit is.... well GONE? (loser)

3. The Tail lights look like, oh I don't
know the other 10,000 rear tail lights
already out there. (yupnope)

4. The stock rear spoiler is.... gone? They
could have at least put the ugly one on there, wtf?

5. The color.... OMG is that "Powder Blue Prius" ??
Dear Lord NOOOOOO!!

6. The side marker lights, are those super man
shields? Little Triangles? (gah)

7. The front end now looks like a s***
eating grin ! (sad2)

8. This is 2011, can't they have smooth
(Recessed into the hood) washer fluid ports?
How hard is that? They still have what I call
the BLACK NIPPLES??!! (encourage

9. The entire front end (if there is even one)
looks like a McDonnalds Happy Meal toy. (boom06)

The ONLY thing they got right was the interior,
MAZDA has always been good with the interior
of vehicles, starting with the Mazda RX7, but I
bet the interior guys are out back beating the
crap out of the EXTERIOR guys, and the paint
department! (fight)

"The new Mazda5 features an emotional design that blends
elegance with a dynamic spirit. It will be the first Mazda
production model to fully adopt Mazda’s Nagare (meaning
“flow” in Japanese) design language, which finds inspiration
in the beauty of flows found in nature."

Give me a break!

Lastly if anyone reads this post.... *sigh*
thanks for the UGLY third brake light, it STILL
looks like an AFTER THOUGHT!

Thanks bunny hugging powder blue hippy guys... and why automotive
engineers need to be taken out back and beaten with an oily rag
warped around a tire iron, and made to drive muscle cars for life.

When did we all accept tree hugging as our national pastime?
peace. (gah)

Last edited:
Wait...So you DON'T like it?

I kid I kid...:p

Don't worry...The point is you FEEL SOMETHING which is a lot more than I can say about the minivans from Toyota, Honda and Nissan...You'll grow to dig it...;)

All the sportiness I love about the current 5 is gone. It truly looks like a minivan now.

All the sportiness I love about the current 5 is gone. It truly looks like a minivan now.

"All the sportiness is gone"?? Is sportiness only in the way it looks?

It's funny how everyone seems to be commenting only on the looks. I guess I'm the minority but I'm more interested in the engine.

i think it looks very good but when is mazda going to learn that those new front grills are losing customers its turning ppl away so fast. keep in mind i am a mazda customer and they arent losing me :)

I have mixed feelings about the 2011 Mazda5. I like the front quite a bit but I am not a fan of the side and definitely not a fan of the rear lights which look too plain. As well, the interior is very nice as it's like the Mazda 3's interior however that also means that they have removed the analog temperature gauge! I know that in modern cars the temperature gauge isn't too accurate (i.e. doesn't tell you the precise temperature of the engine), but it's still nice to have and I really am not a big fan of having just two lights to signify when the engine is cold and when it is hot, and nothing inbetween.

To be honest that is one of the things I like from Mazda, they are a small car manufacturer so they cannot completely reshape models every 2-3 years or so, so if you buy a car you really like then it stays pretty much the same (yeah yeah some facelifts but that's it) for several years, just look at the Mazda3 (2004-2009) and the Mazda6 (2003-2008) and still beat competitors in many areas.

On the same train of thought, for decades car makers knew that creating a car that stood above the others in terms of styling and technology and that didn't change for long periods could be introduced at incredibly profitable prices and also maintain an incredible resale value (i.e., Mercedes and Rolls up until the late '80s early '90s). It's sad to see good cars get changed constantly and have to watch your resale fall through the floor to appease the idiotic masses with their new fix. Oh well, it is what it is. The world is pretty cheap now.

My father today bought a 2010 Scion XB.

I got to drive it for 15 minutes today. I like the powertrain/auto tranny in the XB better than in the 5. The engine sounds stronger too and is a faster car. I've seen a car and driver review from 2008 that claims 0 to 60 in 7.8. Is noticeably quieter. The handling and steering feedback is not as good as the 5, we all knew that.

It's OK. It will be interesting to see what the new MSRP will be, I'm sure stability control will add $500 or so.

Back