Oem vs rola need in two weeks + box

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
Hi there

We have a few more Summer trips and really need a rack plus box

My touring doesn't have sunroof

1) any thoughts on oem ($340) vs rola (233$)?

I know rola is lower profile which I like . But the reviews on Amazon says there are plastic etc that needs cutting which is scaring me away

2) biggest box recommendation ? And where to buy from ? I prefer low and wide . Are the 18 cubic feet boxes troublesome to open hatch ? Or to cumbersome to install ? Should I buy it at REI?

Looks like I am going to go with the 21cubic feet Thule box

Price seems to be 599-699 depending on 90 inch length vs 100 inch length

Bought oem roof rack

Also bought Thule Force XXL Rooftop Cargo Box - 21 cu ft - AeroSkin Black

Hope it works together

Should have all Monday

Should have rack monday night to install

Then going to go Tuesday to get box

All paid for

Will post pics

man, i missed the action. I would've said save your $$ and get an inno from autoanything while they are throwing in a free fairing and giving 22% off now (damnit, i only got 20%)...

oh well

rackntint.jpg

That would have been nice

I was on a time crunch

My local dealer matched best price I found

So cost me $320

Sigh oh well

Damn kids and in laws

You got a darn good deal on the oem one, so don't be down about it.

The oem one is an aero design right? You may be ok... Take it out for a spin at high way speeds and if you don't mind the noise you can go without.

Fairings supposedly cut down on wind noise and give you some gas mileage back.

You got a darn good deal on the oem one, so don't be down about it.

The oem one is an aero design right? You may be ok... Take it out for a spin at high way speeds and if you don't mind the noise you can go without.

Fairings supposedly cut down on wind noise and give you some gas mileage back.
wife picked it up

Will go home and instal then test drive

We would use the box 4-6 times a year (that's how often we have visitors travel with us)

Appreciate the help

Hope install is easy

Then I can pick up box tmrw
Because box doesn't fit inside car

Well all done with install.

INstall took 55 minutes.

Instructions were 7/10

1 bloody nail ....due to no instructions on using flathead taking off the hole covers. Siad push up and I did.

Second issue..the 4 plastic bases that sit on car, each supposed to have a number. Per instruction its like 130, 129, 102, 103. They are supposed to go to Frton right, vs front left etc.

However, the numbers taht were etched on mine DID NOT match the description. So I followed the number sequence, (mine were 98, 99, 103, 105), and hoping it works ok.

Going to pick up box tomorrow thast been sitting/paid for since saturday

here are some garage pictures

Here are the final products. 21 cubic feet Thule box. Store guy argued with me it wouldn't fit. Had to show him video that it works.

image3.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1036_001.jpg

Nice, might have to upgrade to a larger box. Still using an old thule 13 cubic foot box ($60 Craigslist bargain). Now to get my hitch installed, and out of the box in the garage...

UPDATE

Just finished 600 mile camping trip. 4 Adults + 2 kids + all luggage.

The box fit a ton of stuff, including stroller, camera tripod, luggage.

At 80-85MPH no issues, I haven't been able to get the full MPG numbers yet, which I will this weekend as we are taking another trip

Last edited:
QUESTION FOR BOX OWNERS

Once I take the 4 claws off from inside the box, and I unload the box to the garage floor, the box is resting on the claws. At that point, does that HURT the claws?

I then close each of the claws individually then put it up against the wall.

Anybody have an easier way?

The claws come off on my box and I leave then inside the box - don't have that fancy quick connect just the old u type connectors.

Latest posts

Back