OEM Roof Rack And Cross Rails

lgordo

:
Mazda CX-5, Mazda-5
Has anyone installed all OEM roof rack and cross rails with a roof top carrier for skis?? Wondering how the fitment is and does it cause any issues with fit on the box or roof top antenna?? This is the Mazda rack system
Thanks

Are you talking about the roof top cargo boxes or the ski carriers that leave the skis exposed while driving. If it's just the ski carriers, you shouldn't have much of a problem with the antenna if you move the ski carriers off to one side, which would also make it easier to load and unload the skis. If you're talking about the roof top boxes then it depends on the model of the box and how long it is. I don't think the antenna would get in the way but the bigger issue would be if it can be mounted forward enough to allow the rear hatch to open with out interference. The Dempsey CX-5 is shown with a roof top box and doesn't appear to have any issues with the antenna, I suspect the factory roof rack holds everything high enough.

I have the factory rails & crossbars. One thing they may come into play is that cross bars don't spread too far apart. The max distance is 26 inches from center to center of the cross bars when both are slid to front & back.

Are you talking about the roof top cargo boxes or the ski carriers that leave the skis exposed while driving. If it's just the ski carriers, you shouldn't have much of a problem with the antenna if you move the ski carriers off to one side, which would also make it easier to load and unload the skis. If you're talking about the roof top boxes then it depends on the model of the box and how long it is. I don't think the antenna would get in the way but the bigger issue would be if it can be mounted forward enough to allow the rear hatch to open with out interference. The Dempsey CX-5 is shown with a roof top box and doesn't appear to have any issues with the antenna, I suspect the factory roof rack holds everything high enough.

I have the OEM roof rails and cross bars as well as a Thule Atlantis 1600 cargo box (the same or similar to the Dempsey CX-5). It does not fit. I needed a box long enough to hold my 177cm length skis. To just barely clear the rear hatch and fin I need to have the front cross bar moved forward by about 2 inches. There appears to be enough range, but inside the rail there is a plastic piece blocking the crossbar from sliding any more forward. I will ditch the OEM cross bars and try the Thule Aeroblade / 450R combo next. These will be higher (which should allow the box to sit a little further back) and also wrap around the rails so it can go more forward. I would have preferred the more integrated look of the factory bars.

Why would you need a box to hold a pair of skis? They don't need to be protected from the elements since they are in the elements when you ski a mountain.

Why would you need a box to hold a pair of skis? They don't need to be protected from the elements since they are in the elements when you ski a mountain.

One reason is to protect them from the salt and dirt used to treat the road.

I have the OEM roof rails and cross bars as well as a Thule Atlantis 1600 cargo box (the same or similar to the Dempsey CX-5). It does not fit. I needed a box long enough to hold my 177cm length skis. To just barely clear the rear hatch and fin I need to have the front cross bar moved forward by about 2 inches. There appears to be enough range, but inside the rail there is a plastic piece blocking the crossbar from sliding any more forward. I will ditch the OEM cross bars and try the Thule Aeroblade / 450R combo next. These will be higher (which should allow the box to sit a little further back) and also wrap around the rails so it can go more forward. I would have preferred the more integrated look of the factory bars.

I set this up this weekend Thule ARB53 and 450R Mounting Feet and it works pretty good. I was able to get a 30" spread and still clear the rear hatch and fin. The box mounted easily. The front bar is all the way forward (before the plastic rail cover plate) and the rear is 5" from the back (start of the plastic rail cover plate). I'm happy with this setup. There is a slight whistle at certain speeds though (below 45). My only other concern is the slotted nature of the rails, if I crank the mounting attachment too tightly, I can see the rails collapsing/bending.

I set this up this weekend Thule ARB53 and 450R Mounting Feet and it works pretty good. I was able to get a 30" spread and still clear the rear hatch and fin. The box mounted easily. The front bar is all the way forward (before the plastic rail cover plate) and the rear is 5" from the back (start of the plastic rail cover plate). I'm happy with this setup. There is a slight whistle at certain speeds though (below 45). My only other concern is the slotted nature of the rails, if I crank the mounting attachment too tightly, I can see the rails collapsing/bending.

Whats the advantage of using something like 450R and ARB53 versus the AeroBlade Edge 7503? How easy is it to take those things off?

Whats the advantage of using something like 450R and ARB53 versus the AeroBlade Edge 7503? How easy is it to take those things off?

I considered the 7503. Here are the top reasons I ruled it out:

1) Sits lower than 450R/ARB53 (not much above the rails). I was concerned about the cargo box hitting the fin.

2) The clamps decrease the usable width of the bar. My box is pretty wide.

3) I saw a user review of how the 7503 crushed their slotted rails when tightened according to manual. I don't think it was a CX-5, but I could see how that is possible. Something about the location of how the clamp hits the rails.

4) I read somewhere in one of these forums that the 7503 wrap material may be more easily cut if someone was trying to steal them (steal cable vs steal sheet maybe).

Additional advantages of the 450R/ARB53:

1) There is a little bit of usable overhang past the mounts (2-3"). I could see clamping one side of the box out there, if I want to get a kayak or bike up on the other side.

The 450R/ARB53 go on and off pretty quickly (< 5 minutes after the first time). The tool to tighten is integrated into the mounts. The mounts mostly stay in place on the bar once you put the inserts in under the bar, so as long as you put them back to the same place ... I do not leave them on because it is so quick.

I considered the 7503. Here are the top reasons I ruled it out:

1) Sits lower than 450R/ARB53 (not much above the rails). I was concerned about the cargo box hitting the fin.

2) The clamps decrease the usable width of the bar. My box is pretty wide.

3) I saw a user review of how the 7503 crushed their slotted rails when tightened according to manual. I don't think it was a CX-5, but I could see how that is possible. Something about the location of how the clamp hits the rails.

4) I read somewhere in one of these forums that the 7503 wrap material may be more easily cut if someone was trying to steal them (steal cable vs steal sheet maybe).

Additional advantages of the 450R/ARB53:

1) There is a little bit of usable overhang past the mounts (2-3"). I could see clamping one side of the box out there, if I want to get a kayak or bike up on the other side.

The 450R/ARB53 go on and off pretty quickly (< 5 minutes after the first time). The tool to tighten is integrated into the mounts. The mounts mostly stay in place on the bar once you put the inserts in under the bar, so as long as you put them back to the same place ... I do not leave them on because it is so quick.

Did you look at the yakima control towers or just the thule stuff? It seems like everything has trade offs, I can't decide what to do.

One reason is to protect them from the salt and dirt used to treat the road.

Exactly! That's why I keep all skis and snowboards inside the vehicle.

The CX-5 Touring model (as well as the GT) is perfect for this with it's 40/20/40 split rear seat. I've had up to four adults with 3 pairs of skis and 2 snowboards, four pairs of boots and food and other mountain necessities with no complaints or backseat brawls. And it's one less thing to do (mount/demount rack/top box).

Did you look at the yakima control towers or just the thule stuff? It seems like everything has trade offs, I can't decide what to do.

I ruled out any fix point systems since I wanted to be able to adjust the location of the crossbars. I was concerned that for the CX-5 the rear bar would have been too far back for my cargo box and I would not clear the hatch.

I ruled out any fix point systems since I wanted to be able to adjust the location of the crossbars. I was concerned that for the CX-5 the rear bar would have been too far back for my cargo box and I would not clear the hatch.

I hadn't thought of that so I may go the same route as you. I am more interested in two kayaks than a box, but may get a box in the future.

Makes sense, but you're not skiing down a hill at 70+ mph. There probably also aren't rocks on the slopes like there may be on the roads that fly up. Not sure about the aerodynamics of them bare or in a box. I also presume people may be carrying the box anyway for other stuff they have. Fitting the skiis in might be the way to go if they have a wide box.

Back