OEM 18 inch VS 20 inch tires

lildevil

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD
Hey guys I'm new here but I've been reading the forums for a few days now. I see that lots of people complaining about the OEM duelers that came with the CX-9. It seems like most of the people that are complaining have the GT model which has the 20 inch lower profile tires and most of the people that don't have problems have the touring or sports model, which have the 18 inch tires. I have the touring with 18 inch tires myself and been driving through Minnesota blizzards for the best three winters without a problem.

So lets have a little survey to see if it's the 20 inch wheels or the OEM duelers that are the problem. Please leave a comment on here with what kind of wheels (18 or 20in) and if you have/had problems with them in the snow. This could help potential buyers that live in colder climates to avoid the GT model if it is the 20 inch wheels that are the problem.

MN here also.

We have 20" wheels with the duelers, but we've never tried them in the snow. I bought 18" wheels and put blizzaks in them for winter.

We've had no problems with the stock 20" wheels or tires on the GT in the snow so far here in Chicago.

I'll chime in and say that my 20inch OEMs stink! Blew through several stop signs and red lights with ABS blasting in slush and snow. I only had 10k on the tires and was just easing to a stop. They felt like summer tires. I'm getting full snows on 18s next winter.

But in the dry, they actually have quick turn in, nice sporty ride, and is reasonably communicative at the steering wheel.

I'm not really sure how useful all these posts on owners opinions of the stock tires really are. Opinions will be greatly impacted by different individual expectations of tire performance. Comparing the performance of the stock tires on the CX-9 to those of many other OEM tires on past vehicles I've had, I haven't noticed much difference in traction in most conditions. The CX-9 wheel diameter and tire sidewall size is easily the largest difference between this vehicles OEM rolling stock, as compared to many other vehicles. All season tires are simply the best compromise for most drivers in most conditions. If you aren't 'most drivers' and/or don't drive in 'most conditions', by all means get tires more appropriate for your circumstances.

It's seems like people's opinions are almost split down the middle from what they are saying about their tires on other threads.

My theory on it, is that maybe the thinner sidewalls on the 20" tires makes them harder and stiffer than the 18" tires, resulting in poorer traction and performance in the snow.

I had planned on getting snow tires but after going though several blizzards my first year with no problems at all, I changed my mind. Even after 3 years, with 25k+ miles on the tires, I drove though 6-8" of snow this past winter with no slippage. Only times I ever had a problem and this happens almost ever year in mid-late November. Is when there is a thin layer of ice frozen over from the morning dew, which you can't see but when I try to break like I normally would in the dry, I would blow past the stop sign. This would be my wake up call ever year that winter is here and I would start driving slower and more carefully from there on out.

I assume you mean shorter sidewalls on the 20" wheels, as opposed to thinner. That really shouldn't impack the tires traction much at all. I don't know what the 18" tire size is compared to the 20", but if they're narrower in width that should improve traction in snow a little bit. Larger contact patch is better for dry traction, while a smaller contact patch is better fro traction in snow.

Back