OBDII Emissions Question

Sierra117

:
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
So, I was just thinking about this. I really don't need to worry for a bit, my car isn't up for testing till 2009, but I just want to have an idea ahead of time. I'm asking in here because this is related mostly to our OBDII system.

I'm looking at gettng the Corksport Downpipe/Midpipe combo, then gutting the second cat for now, as getting the full turbo back is cost prohibitive. Even then, I'm not sure getting the full turbo back would solve the issue I'm thinking off. And that is the dreaded Emissions Test.

Politics of Global Warming and pollution aside, I'm not exactly a huge fan of these tests. Especially seeing as I am planning on basically running an open turbo exhaust, for lack of a better term. However, a bit of research shows that in Texas and in my county, emmisions testing is done via OBDII plug in. A bit of research shows that all they do is get the cats warmed up, plug in the sensor, and then the sensor tells them if their is something wrong or not. Please, feel free to correct me if I am mistaken in the process, I'm not much in the way electrical systems and terms. It did not say anything specifically about a sniffer test or a visual check, but the Corksport Downpipe and keeping the visual appearence of a second cat would help me out there.

So, that being the case, it would lead me to believe if the system thinks there are cats or that the emmisions control is working properlly, even if I had a dump pipe I would still, in theory, pass.

So finally, here is/are my question(s)

1. The downpipe comes with a "CEL Eliminator". I'm I right in thinking that it is an o2 simulator?
2. If the Midpipe deletes the downstream cat, will it throw an emmisions CEL?
3. Is there a CEL Eliminator/o2 sim for the Midpipe? Is one even needed?
4. With the proper set up (CEL Eliminator plugged in up front and a possible CEL Eliminator in the mid pipe), I should, in theory, pass emmisions, correct?

Any and all help, as always, would be appricated. And please, don't say "just get the CP-e down pipe with the high flow cat."

So finally, here is/are my question(s)

1. The downpipe comes with a "CEL Eliminator". I'm I right in thinking that it is an o2 simulator?
2. If the Midpipe deletes the downstream cat, will it throw an emmisions CEL?
3. Is there a CEL Eliminator/o2 sim for the Midpipe? Is one even needed?
4. With the proper set up (CEL Eliminator plugged in up front and a possible CEL Eliminator in the mid pipe), I should, in theory, pass emmisions, correct?

Any and all help, as always, would be appricated. And please, don't say "just get the CP-e down pipe with the high flow cat."

1. Cork Dp come with a extended bung to keep the check engine light from tripping. Mine works fine.
2. No the test pipe cat is unmonitered by the cars OBD system.
3. Unnecessary
4. In theory. In NJ I have the same crap. OBD II plug car says yeah I'm fine problem is if they look for a cat. You mentioned gutting the stock 2nd which is meh in my opinion, but it looks like a cat so thumbs up. Here in lays the problem; In TX can you replace 2 cats with 1? In NJ I need to have a cat show in their mirror when they look down there. I'm sure its the same for you BUT I would be supprised if the inspetor knows how many cats our cars are supposed to have and where they would even be.

Last edited:
No clue about the last one, I'll have to check the website. I looked at it, and it said nothing about a visual or sniffer check. My last car I always got it emmisions tested at the dealership I worked at, so I never actually saw them do the test.

EDIT: Just checked the website, states they "inspect" the exhaust, so I'm going to assume thats a visual check. Bah. Bah on many scales.

Last edited:
No clue about the last one, I'll have to check the website. I looked at it, and it said nothing about a visual or sniffer check. My last car I always got it emmisions tested at the dealership I worked at, so I never actually saw them do the test.

EDIT: Just checked the website, states they "inspect" the exhaust, so I'm going to assume thats a visual check. Bah. Bah on many scales.

Can you pay to have a gas station perform the inspection? In NJ insp is free from the state, but the gas stations charge 70 and theres some wiggle room then.

I wish. Big source of State income is from our emmisions testing. The cost of safety/emmision is $30 bucks out of pocket, no state pay. Looking at the exhaust system test, they just check to see if the cats are leaking or such, and I agree, I doubt some highschool kid in a summer job or the local mechanic is even going to know where our cats are and how many we have. If it doesn't throw the code, I'm sure it will pass, and there is a "cat" on the downpipe from Corksport. If its that much of an issue, I can just keep the stock mid pipe and stick it back on before the test.

keep the stock catback and stock second cat, we dont have emissions checks in florida any more but if they come back im going to keep my catback and the second cat gutted so i can swap out for apperance. i will only upgrade my downpipe with a high flow cat from cp-e.

keep the stock catback and stock second cat, we dont have emissions checks in florida any more but if they come back im going to keep my catback and the second cat gutted so i can swap out for apperance. i will only upgrade my downpipe with a high flow cat from cp-e.

Problem is that the CP-e replaces the downpipe and midpipe, so no putting the old midpipe without the stock DP also...

And how I don't envy any of you we don't have inspections here just roll up plug it in and go. Even with no cats, hell my friend and I went in and his car had black smoke comming out the tail pipe. it was dumping racegas out the tail pipes but still passed with flying colors. And OBD I cars don't even get checked anymore.

Back