NSN Motorsports Auto Tranny Cooler

Branden: The hoses actually don't hang at all. They just weren't properly tucked in that picture. When properly tucked away and the engine splash shields are back on the hoses are out of the way and there's no chance for them to come in contact w/anything other than the shield itself.

As far as I know, you can't put a cooler an an MTX. There is no oil pump to move the fluid through the cooler nor are there lines to attach the cooler to.

MTX trannies don't generate the friction and heat that ATXs do, so there's really no need.

goldwing2000 said:
As far as I know, you can't put a cooler an an MTX. There is no oil pump to move the fluid through the cooler nor are there lines to attach the cooler to.

MTX trannies don't generate the friction and heat that ATXs do, so there's really no need.
thats what i thought.

Branden3i said:
thats good cause that would suck if they did. how long is the install on one of those?

Sorry for the late reply, Branden!

Install time is easily under an hour. Most time consuming process is actually removing the plastic undershields ;)

After hoses are disconnected, and the cooler drilled into the bumper with self-tapping screws, all you do is connect things back up, put some more fluid into the car, put shields back on and you are ready to go.

It looks nice, and I'm not trying to hate, but it looks just like a regular oil cooler, can't you just hook up any old oil cooler and do the same job?

goldwing2000 said:

Thats exactly what I thought too.
I couldn't find a single tuner that would even consider using a tranny cooler on a MTX.

Sorry for the delay, I was racing this weekend :)

Steve is currently getting the brackets setup and ordered. Expect a GB soon. :)

Sorry if this is a newb question but would this get in the way of a FMIC if you get a turbo kit. Also how much would this help keep the tranny in good shape if you get a turbo on a ATX car.

TheBled said:
Sorry if this is a newb question but would this get in the way of a FMIC if you get a turbo kit. Also how much would this help keep the tranny in good shape if you get a turbo on a ATX car.

This would not really help a turbo auto at all. You will definately need other things done to the auto tranny for it to even beable to handle a low boost kit.
So along it will not help.

goldwing2000 said:
But on the other hand... it couldn't hurt!

And I didn't say that it would hurt, just that it wont fix the problems you will have.

Other upgrades will be needed. This along will not help in any FI system for the Mazda3.

Just don't want people to think that they can just throw this or any other $30 tranny cooler on and think they will be alright with any type of FI.

AzMz3 said:
And I didn't say that it would hurt, just that it wont fix the problems you will have.

Other upgrades will be needed. This along will not help in any FI system for the Mazda3.

Just don't want people to think that they can just throw this or any other $30 tranny cooler on and think they will be alright with any type of FI.

No, but you did say that "it won't really help at all" and that's simply not true. ANY trans cooler will be better than NO trans cooler.

goldwing2000 said:
No, but you did say that "it won't really help at all" and that's simply not true. ANY trans cooler will be better than NO trans cooler.

There are other things that need to be upgraded, clutch packs, valve body, and maybe torque convertor.
Will it hurt, NO. Is it the only thing you should do to help the tranny, NO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short version:
For a daily driver this isn't hugely worth the expense, but if you drive very hard all the time or track or auto-x at all this is a worthwhile adder.

As far as for turbo, yes this will help for keeping the tranny cooler which helps one of the issues that arises from the turbo power loads the tranny would see, however as you get into marginally reasonable amounts of boost there are likely to be a host of other issues that would arise that will not be affected or helped in the least by a tranny cooler.

We set the cooler up so that it goes before the stock cooler... that way you don't have to worry about overcooling of the fluids, and yet can still get good gains in cooling of the fluids.

People have asked about temperature drops and I've explained that I can provide whatever data you want... it all depends on conditions and test methods... so if you need a 10 degree drop to feel good about it I can get you that data... if you want 50 degrees I can make that happen too... it's nearly impossible to provide a "meaningfull" number for anyone that is after one as any changes in the tests including wind speed, ambient, warm up time.. heat soak etc will all alter the results.. I consulted directly with the manufacturer when we sized this cooler for the car.. it's the best option and is a more than enough without being overkill kind of approach..

So hopefully that helps some for you guys!

Steve
NSN Motorsports, LLC Co-Owner

Last edited by a moderator:
TurfBurn said:
LOL. .. this is like Deja Vu... this whole discussion raged on the Mazda3forums.com with AzMz3 then as well...

Yeah, I think he gets off on starting arguments on the internet. (loser)

Thanks for the update and clarification, Steve.

NP... I've been swamped with a number of things... but we should have the brackets in and ready to go for doing the first releases of these things in about a week and a half.. I'm going to also work the numbers more and see if I can pull costs down... right now we are sitting at about $75 for the "Entry Level" cooler kit which features the same cooler, brackets and mounting hardware but uses standard black tranny line and barbed connections. The "Pro Level" kit has the above but comes with -6 XRP fittings and stainless braided line but weights in at a hefty $105/kit right now. I did find some options that may get the Pro kit down to 95 because of cheaper sources on the braided line. There will be some group buys shared between here and Mazda3forums.com so that the buy/build goes faster... but I've just been so swamped fighting a deadline to get my race car running again that this project has slipped by a week or two, and Jon and I haven't talked in a bit as well... but we'll get right back on it!!

Thanks guys,

Steve

Back