Noisy rear breaks

Todd

Noisy rear brakes

I hope someone has some idea on my issue. Let me begin by saying I had my rear brake pads replaced back in December (they look fine). During the replacement of the pads the mechanic said my rear rotors where warped. I did not have them fixed because I did not notice an issue.

Fast forward to the summer. I started to notice a squeek coming from the rear brakes but only if
1. I have driven the car for about 20 minutes (my guess is heating something up)
2. Going slow, around 20KM an hour or less I hear it.
3. The squeek goes away when I apply the brakes or the emergancy brake telling me that it has to do with something with the rear breaks.
4. Sometimes going slow I dont hear it, unless Im turning???

I am so stumped. I decided to get new rotors (cross drilled, I love them). The problem is still here.

The squeek by the way is not a steady squeek. It goes like this. Squeek..........squeek............squeek..........and if I go faster it is squeek..squeek..squeek.

Any ideas will help me so much. Again my pads look fine (replaced in December) and I have brand new rotors,

Thanks in advance everyone !!!

Last edited:
trbomp5 said:
spray them down really good with brake cleaner. Thats probably all it is.

I will give that a shot. I tried to power wash them, but maybe a break cleaner is better. Thanks

well.. you're older rotors could have been glazed which could have caused the problem... your new brake pads might be crappy quality. Also you definitely should clean the rotors with some brake cleaner before you put them on the car :)

The caliper sliders might need to be relubed.

I'd also check the piston boots for cracks, which might indicate that the piston seal could be compromised.

The piston seals are what help pulls the brake pads away from the rotor.

I had the same problem, and my P5 only had 18K on it. If I hit the brakes or pulled the parking brake lever it would go away, and it only happened intermittantly. It was very loud and annoying, almost embarrassing...

I took a turn to sharply and ran over a curb with that back wheel, and since it has not come back. No damage to the wheel or tire, just a poorly negotiated turn.

I recommend slamming into a curb. (drive)

Or brake cleaner.

glazed rotors will cause a squeak. So will the lack of the metal pieces on the pads that are a spacer between the pad and the brake caliper piston.

I would just swap the rotors out with some nice cross drilled and slotted ones, and go throw in some new pads too. Pretty easy, and there is how-to's for all of it.

If you're going to go Raider's route, you might want to get the calipers powder coated while you have everything apart... the look is sweet.

Slamming the curb will be alot cheaper though! (nuts)

Mmmmmken said:
I had the same problem, and my P5 only had 18K on it. If I hit the brakes or pulled the parking brake lever it would go away, and it only happened intermittantly. It was very loud and annoying, almost embarrassing...

I took a turn to sharply and ran over a curb with that back wheel, and since it has not come back. No damage to the wheel or tire, just a poorly negotiated turn.

I recommend slamming into a curb. (drive)

Or brake cleaner.

Thats a funny story, but it sounds like my exact issue. Im scared to slam it into a curb, but with my wife driving the car, it sounds like it should be fixed pretty soon :).

Thanks again for everyones advice and I will try everything that you guys have recomended and I will respond back with what ever fixed it.

Back