Noise after suspension change

STS314

:
1999 MX-5
I recently had my P5 springs and struts changed. I installed Racing Beat springs with Tokico Illuminas. While turning left or right slowly, as in turning around in my driveway. I notice a sound which sounds similar to a spring boing boing. I am definetely a newbie to this but I was looking for help if this is common or a problem. The car is handling fine with no vibrations. I have had the car aligned and wheels balanced right after the install. Please any help would be much appreciated.

It's never a common or good thing to here noises like that from your car. Without actually hearing it in person, all I can say is try to figure out exactly were the noise is coming from. Then you might have to tighten things down. I know that when I did my suspension swap, as well as many others, you need to pay close attention to at what point things need to be torqued down.

What state are you in?

Make sure the springs are seated correctly. You'll have to pull the wheels, and check that the bottom of the springs are sitting in the correct position on the spring perch(where it sits on the strut). You more than likely should just be able to turn the spring by hand if it's not in the right place.

Well I have changed my suspension 4 different times with 4 different setups, and they all make that noise, but mine have always been with coilovers, and always tokicos

its a common thing. i have toks with rb springs. it is suspension clunk. more than likely its from the end links. you have to figure your endlinks were designed for a certain ride height and now you are lower. i get clunking over uneven pavement when turning. you will find that many people get this with upgraded suspension.

altspace said:
It's never a common or good thing to here noises like that from your car. Without actually hearing it in person, all I can say is try to figure out exactly were the noise is coming from. Then you might have to tighten things down. I know that when I did my suspension swap, as well as many others, you need to pay close attention to at what point things need to be torqued down.

What state are you in?

Thanks - I will check everything again this weekend. Raynham MA to answer your question. Nice pics of your P5 looks great!

Mad Hatter said:
Make sure the springs are seated correctly. You'll have to pull the wheels, and check that the bottom of the springs are sitting in the correct position on the spring perch(where it sits on the strut). You more than likely should just be able to turn the spring by hand if it's not in the right place.

Thanks - I plan on checking everthing agian this weekend. I appreciate the help!

NJP5Guy said:
its a common thing. i have toks with rb springs. it is suspension clunk. more than likely its from the end links. you have to figure your endlinks were designed for a certain ride height and now you are lower. i get clunking over uneven pavement when turning. you will find that many people get this with upgraded suspension.

I was hoping that this was the case. The sound seems similar to what you get. I will re-check everything again to be sure. The car handles great now with no problems, will see what happens at the first autocross of the year.

Thanks again!

Back