No Way to Lock CX-9 without "Smart" Key Fob??

DudeinVA

So I just bought a 2010 CX-9 Touring with the Smart key. I promptly discovered that you can't lock the doors with the power lock switch while a door is open. WTF? I've never seen a car act that way before. So without having the dealer switch the programming to autolock (which I'll probably do since I liked that feature on my Corvette) there's no way to lock the car unless you have the fob?? That makes no sense. Am I missing something?

I think that's typical of many vehicles with smart key--to prevent inadvertently locking the fob inside.

My Cadillac STS and C6 Corvette won't let me manually lock the doors either; however, I think their systems are smarter as they detect the fob in the car.

You have to get used to it.
It is called "SmartKey" since carrying the fob means that you are "authorized" to do things to the CX9. You will also find that if you leave a fob in the CX9, and try to lock it with another fob, it will beep at you and refuse the locking. It is "Smart" in contrast to the tranditional key/fob with which anyone can do anything to your vehicle unauthorized. With multiple sensors, the system "knows" where the fob is, and make decision and allow certain access based on that info.

It is basically a conceptual shifting in accessing your vehicle.

I don't know how "autolock" is related here in your post. You still need the fob with you to utilitize autolock. It just reduces a press of the touch pad on the door handle.

I also have an Infiniti M35 and I usually use the power lock button to lock the car as I exit it. Sadly, it doesn't have an autolock feature, but you can certainly use the power lock switch to lock it. It will also let me lock it with a fob in the car (i.e. in my wife's purse), but I think only with the fob button IIRC.

The problem with the CX-9 is what it you left someone in the car without the key (let's say while you ran in the store) and then that person needed to run in to get you. They can't lock the freakin car. That's bizarre to me. And I guess the autolock doesn't really solve that either. Mazda needs to think about this a little more...

This is my third car with keyless ignition and so far I like GM's method the best. I really liked my former Corvette's system and it was customizable.

Last edited:
i have 08 cx9 and one time, we went to the grocery leaving my mom in the car. just told her that she'll be locked inside and didn't have to panic. (i had in my mind to leave the Smartkey, but I refused). after 15mins, my mom was running to us and yes - she was able to escape but alarm did went off scaring her.

anyone can use this feature with demented relatives that needs to be contained in the car while doing your quick shopping.

If an advanced key is not present, you can open the door, lock it, then close it to lock the car. If a key is present it will not let you manually lock the car to prevent locking the key inside the car.

I don't believe that's true. I tried that last night before posting my reply above. I opened my CX-9, walked back in the house and placed the smart key where I normally keep it, walked back in the garage, and it still would not let me lock it by pushing the door switch. My key was in a kitchen drawer at least 20' away from the CX-9.

I tried it at work today with my fob 50' away and still would not let me lock it via door switch.

A couple things you posted don't make sense to me:

It allows you to lock the car if your key battery dies.
If my fob battery is dead I could simply lock it with the key.

The only way it won't lock is if a door is open
How else could one press the door lock button without a door being open?

From owner's manual:

Vehicle lock-out prevention
(With advanced key)
The vehicle lock-out prevention feature prevents you from locking yourself out of the vehicle. All doors and the liftgate will automatically unlock if they are locked using the power door locks with any door or the liftgate open.

I just tried locking it with the fob in the house and of course it won't lock. You can manually lock all of the passenger doors, but there's no way to lock the driver door. I still find it bizarre... Oh well.

what happened to the good old days (actually, not that old, look at my wife's "old" Jeep) when you actually "locked" the doors manually? Technology is now running our lives!!!!

My wife sometime left her purse in the car with the key, but I am still able to lock the car with my key or push the button on the handle. However, it will beep 6 times.
With SmartKey, you couldn't lock the car if you left the car and the engine running. However, remote of remote engine start can lock or unlock the car from outside even if the engine running.
You will also find that if you leave a fob in the CX9, and try to lock it with another fob, it will beep at you and refuse the locking.

Last edited:
You're right. I just tested it.
I was thinking about my wife's Toyota version again, with which you can't lock it if there is another fob inside.

BTW, it beeps more than 6 times. It is more like 10, but I wasn't counting exactly.

Back