No sway bar?

Pretzellogic

Contributor
:
Das Pretzelwagon
Anyone driven an MSP or a P5 without the sway installed? When I finially put my AWR bar on, I'd like to take it out for a spin without it just to see what it's like.

Anyone else do this?

I can't speak for the Proteges, but when I disconnected the sway bar on my Miata during a Test & Tune event, the car wollowed like a pig in mud. I guarantee that you won't receive any performance inhancement unless you're after major oversteer (front bar removed) or understeer (rear bar removed).

I drove for a little bit when one of my front endlinks fell off, I drifted HARCORE around a turn... scared me to death cause I fully didn't expect that to happen.

in all honesty it makes your car handle like s***

removing the front can be some fun as you can dial in some major, sometimes uncontrollable oversteer...

but if its the rear then thats no fun at all...handles like s***.

my rear sway bar is currently not in use at all right now and honestly I feel no difference from stock...well, I did install the Tokico HP and Tein S-techs, but there isn't more roll than stock. If you're talking about the rear swaybar, you should be ok for a couple days.

For the record, I'm just talking about going around the block a couple times. I"m not looking to drive her like this on a regular basis.

So the general consensus is that my beloved p5 will handle like a wounded rhino. Sounds like fun :D

it will drive, just dont expect much.... but you wont hurt anything, unless you are crazy slammed, then you might rub.... I did

Well, I'm just expecting to feel it handle like a crappy econobox.

I won't rub. I've got a prokit with a 1.5" drop.

Is anyone else like me in that they are fascinated by driving their own cars under different conditions just to see what it feels like? I want to cruis around the block out of sheer curiosity.

The Stock protege comes without one and it shares the same frame...So...It wont mater at all...

Oh yeah, I know it won't hurt anything, I'm just looking to have some fun with it.

Then my AWR bar goes on and the REAL fun begins.

because we have Macpherson front struts there is a loss of camber in cornering, therefore you will have horrible cornering grip, not to mention major body-roll.

That is one HUGE difference I noticed in my old WRX stock compared to a larger front sway bar, and with my MP3 having a 25mm front sway bar it is nice that I don't have to upgrade for Auto-x.

You may not notice much difference just putting around the block, but anything aggressive and you'll notice. The oversteer will occur since the rear is now unbalanced with the front, ie: its stiffer so it will come around much more suddenly.

wayne, i think he's talking about running w/out the rear bar, which would make the car understeer like a WRX ;) at the limit.

i ran w/out a rear bar for a few weeks (commuting). no problems. it leaned a lot more in the turns, but the ride sure was smooth.

Brian MP5T said:
The Stock protege comes without one and it shares the same frame...So...It wont mater at all...

que?

which "stock protege" comes w/out a sway bar? or are you talking about the strut tower brace?

Last edited:
dmitrik4 said:
which "stock protege" comes w/out a sway bar? or are you talking about the strut tower brace?
I alwasy thought the base base base protege came without a sway standard.

Bump absortion will be very poor, the suspension will just crash on every bump and won't be solid.

Been driving mine around for the past month with a missing front sway bar endlink (on backorder at the dealer). Didn't like the way the car rolled in turns even though I got Tokico HP's and Eibach ProKit. Finally got the endlink and put it on this past weekend and the car handles like it's on rails! Major difference!

Van

Back