No support under carpet - rear passenger area

slate1

Can anyone tell me if it's normal for there to be an area directly under the rear floor mats where the carpet appears to have no support under it?

It's about right in the middle of the rear foot area on both sides and feels like probably a 6"x6" square - I can press the carpet down a good inch or so before I think I hit something solid. I just found this to be very odd. Almost like a part of the floor pan is missing.

Car is an '06 Mazda3 Grand Touring 4-door.

hmmmm - looks like it might be normal...

Found this pic and it looks like there's a well in the back right where I'm talking about.

I'm just surprised there's not some sort of backing to the carpet in these areas to keep it from sagging into these areas.

Would still appreciate anyone who can check theirs.

show_image.pl

ZoomVT said:
lmao.

so what were you doing with your interior off? wiring?

that's not my interior.... just a picture I found while trying to find out what the floorpan looked like...

thanks for checking on your rear carpet to see if it's the same though... (deadhorse

haha i will when i get out of work. i dont know if i even understand what the hell you talking about.
so the floor has an inch of give below the carpet?

ZoomVT said:
haha i will when i get out of work. i dont know if i even understand what the hell you talking about.
so the floor has an inch of give below the carpet?

That's exactly right - if you press down on the carpet in the rear of the vehicle - it will depress a good inch before you hit the floor-pan.

Thanks ZoomVT - here, have one of these on me... (cheers)

i just tries it and couldnt find any. are you putting a lot of pressure? i have not put all my weight on it but put decent amount of force and i couldnt get it to give. are you sure your carpet hasnt lost tension or ripped somewhere?

yeah could be just your carpet is snagged somehwere and has caused it to raise up over the floor...

ZoomVT said:
i just tries it and couldnt find any. are you putting a lot of pressure? i have not put all my weight on it but put decent amount of force and i couldnt get it to give. are you sure your carpet hasnt lost tension or ripped somewhere?

Interesting.... there's a guy over on the edmunds.com site that responded to my question over there with a new '06 too and his is the same - it's got a lot of give to it behind the rear seat as well.

Carpet doesn't seem to be ripped or pulled loose anywhere - it's some cheap $#!t though and really my only complaint about the car at all. It's flat - not buckled up or anything, it's just sitting about 1" off the floorpan as you get near the "hump". It's solid by the doors but once you get within 6"s of the "hump" it's not.

Maybe they changed something with the carpet on the '06 model - it's out of my way but I may try to run to the dealership today and see if the other cars on the lot are the same.

Mine is similar to that but in the front passenger seat. I asked them to check it when I bought the car before I picked it up, and they claim they did and said "it just has to settle since it's so new" which I thought was BS. It's actually raised off the floor, as if there was nothing holding it down and it bunched up in the middle. With the floor mats on it it stays down a bit, but it's still a bit disheartening. Never noticed anything in the back though, so I can't say about that.

My 2006 Hatch has the same thing, I'm glad to see it's not just my car but it's pretty lame. Never seen anything like it. I'm going to put some weight on it and see if it will smash down!!!

Back