Nitto or Yokohama

Hi Experts
Time has come to replace my OEM tires on CX-9 GT FWD. Car has around 35k miles on it and the OEM tires still have quite a bit of tread (may be 45-56%) remaining. But one of the tire got damaged as I hit a curb and needs to be replaced. So I am thinking to just change all four. Looking at the many threads here, it appears that the choice is really between

Yokohama Prada
Yokohama YK580
Nitto 421Q
Nitto NT850

I live in SJ Bay Area and we go to Lake Tahoe like once a year in winters. So overall dry weather and wet weather performance is more important than snow (heck mine is a FWD anyways :) )
So if I am hoping for quiet ride, not losing too much of zoom zoom performance and have the tires last for 40-45k miles (reasonable?), what would you recommend? Price wise all these seem quite close to each other anyways.

Help appreciated.
Thanks

My local tire shop suggested that the Parada's would not be very quiet. I ended up with Bridgestone Dueler 422 Ecopias--but part of that was their high snow driving ratings, which may not be a concern for you in SF.

On my 3rd sets of Parada Spec-X.

Thanks Ceric. If I may ask, how many miles did a Prada set last for you on an avg? The fact that you have continued with them for 3rd time already indicates you like them. Just checking about the tread-wear of Pradas.

Parada Spec-X. Nice Quite tires. I got 50K on it before i got the new set of the SPEC-X last month. bought from Tire-buy.com for 510 delivered.

I searched quite a bit here and some other forums and it really came down in my opinion between Yokohama Prada and Nitto 421q. And there is a good deal available for 421q on ebay store of discount tires. So I have finally placed order for Nitto 421q. They get here by Friday and hopefully I would have them installed over the weekend. I will update my findings.

I like Yokohama tires, had them on my truck, on the wife's 2009 pilot. Thinking Yokohama tires will be on the CX9 when I need to change them.
I know Discount tires will match their online store if you ask them but I do believe they charge like a 12 dollar fee.
When I put them on my truck I got a good deal from them and they matched the EBAY price from their online store.

I searched quite a bit here and some other forums and it really came down in my opinion between Yokohama Prada and Nitto 421q. And there is a good deal available for 421q on ebay store of discount tires. So I have finally placed order for Nitto 421q. They get here by Friday and hopefully I would have them installed over the weekend. I will update my findings.
The tires got here sooner than expected and I have got them installed now. Too early to form any opinions but I think the road noise is lesser as compared to OEM tires. Now that could very well be because these are brand new and Bridgestones had lost almost 50% of the tread. they look nice though!

Just want to give a shout out to the Nitto 421q tires. I have had them on our CX-9 for a few months now and I really impressed with them. They are extremely quiet, solid in the snow and rain, and look good on the wheel. Best part was the price out the door at Discount Tire. Stock Bridgestones still had some tread left(25,000 miles but wouldn't let my worst enemy drive them in the snow) so they gave me $20 per tire on trade in. So out the door with rebuild kit for TPMS was just under $600. These tires really show how bad the oem Bridgestone's are in my opinion.

Just want to give a shout out to the Nitto 421q tires. I have had them on our CX-9 for a few months now and I really impressed with them. They are extremely quiet, solid in the snow and rain, and look good on the wheel. Best part was the price out the door at Discount Tire. Stock Bridgestones still had some tread left(25,000 miles but wouldn't let my worst enemy drive them in the snow) so they gave me $20 per tire on trade in. So out the door with rebuild kit for TPMS was just under $600. These tires really show how bad the oem Bridgestone's are in my opinion.

Huh, I didn't know Discount gave you money on a tire trade... I wonder what they would do for the only 2000 miles (10/32 tread depth) on my OE Bridgestones. I would really like to get rid of them at some point, but it seems dumb when they have so much life left in them.... Might have to check this out.

Huh, I didn't know Discount gave you money on a tire trade... I wonder what they would do for the only 2000 miles (10/32 tread depth) on my OE Bridgestones. I would really like to get rid of them at some point, but it seems dumb when they have so much life left in them.... Might have to check this out.

I was going to keep the stock tires and attempt to sell on Craigslist. I brought it up to tech and said what will you guys give for them on trade. That was his first offer and I took it. Tech who I worked with before recommended the Nitto over the Yokohama's and with price savings I figured what the heck. Worth stopping in and seeing what they offer.

Tech who I worked with before recommended the Nitto over the Yokohama's and with price savings I figured what the heck.

I replaced my tires last year, and my shop also cautioned against the Yokos--he said the tread pattern was going to be much noisier. I went in the other direction though, and ended up with Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias. I'm still waiting to see how they are in the snow--OEMs were not good.

I had Parada Spec Bs on my P5 for awhile. The road noise wasn't noticeable to me at all. Yokohama (Advan) has been around a lot longer than Nitto (Toyo) and they also provide tires for the World Touring Car Championships and ALMS which is some of my favorite racing. :)

Yoko.

Here's the tires I had. there are more than one model of Parada.
Yokohama-Parada-Spec-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard good things about the Parada Spec-X... And it seems on Discount's reviews, a lot of the users ARE CX-9 owners, which is helpful, lol.

I replaced my tires last year, and my shop also cautioned against the Yokos--he said the tread pattern was going to be much noisier. I went in the other direction though, and ended up with Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias. I'm still waiting to see how they are in the snow--OEMs were not good.

Tex, what's your assessment of them (snow performance) now? Thinking about whether to replace what came on my 2011 cx9 that are about 50 percent gone.

Thanks...

Latest posts

Back