Next Gen CX-5 Rendered Photo

You need a lot of panels if you think you are going to completely go off grid.
I visited a beach front mansion in Santa Cruz which is self-sufficient for electrical power with solar panels. But almost the whole roof is covered by them, not to mention how much he had spent on the equipment!

"Capable of withstanding 1 inch diameter hail traveling at terminal velocity"
So that's about a little smaller than the golf ball sized hail. I guess although in Texas we have plenty of sun but frequent hails and tornados make solar power not very attractive!

I visited a beach front mansion in Santa Cruz which is self-sufficient for electrical power with solar panels. But almost the whole roof is covered by them, not to mention how much he had spent on the equipment!

So that's about a little smaller than the golf ball sized hail. I guess although in Texas we have plenty of sun but frequent hails and tornados make solar power not very attractive!

All I know is the price of 100 watt panels went from around $225 last year to around $115 this year. Solar prices seems to be dropping through the floor.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)and some linear actuators you could control the panels to go vertical in hail or tabletop in wind if so desired. You can tie in with sensors to make it automated.

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah... IMO.. we have finally reached a price and tech point that one should consider it for certain applications.

Here is a cheap example: You build a cheap shed out on your property. Depending on your needs it may be far cheaper to put in a small solar install than a full blown electrical service. Bear in mind as I stated above you can put in something that will sustain higher wattage but if just used for a short period of time each day or less then don't need to build to 24x7 capacity. You can always add more panels or batteries if the need is there.

EDIT: It is spendy and I have some but Goal Zero makes great stuff too. Their solar generators are true sin wave so safe for electronics.

Last edited:
So this is a Russian rendering of the CX-5 from the spy shots. Credit: Kolesa

I think its pretty close to what it would look like under the camouflaged skin. I think the rear may have a chrome strip across the tail lights like the Mazda6 and CX-9.

Mazda-CX-5-front-980x540-980x0-c-default.jpg

Mazda-CX-5-rear-980x540-980x0-c-default.jpg

The rendering is pretty much spot on based of the camouflaged spy shots, one thing I noticed it looks like the display will be the same as the new CX-9 larger 9 in display, I really don't like that look, looks like a iPad plopped right on the dash (red arrow),

The wheels design look horrible, looks too feminine like a cartoonish 5 petals flower....like it's should be on a VW beetle than a CX-5.

Also the honeycomb looks like a decoy, I think it'll look more like the new CX-9 with chrome horizontal lines and added LED accent lighting around the signature Mazda grill "wings" like the new CX-9.

2q20f0k.jpg

31684ys.jpg

2nk5j5x.jpg

2ld8v3p.jpg

4sywlh.jpg

jimhjq.jpg

Last edited:
First off can we get back on topic? The solar panel discussion has already derailed this.

Ok, now to that render. It's pretty spot on, and it really does make it look like a baby CX-5. The one part where the render may be off is the lower front fascia because there looks to be angular C-shaped creases just under the headlights at the very far edges when you look at the spy shots. Those wheels look like they're for the base car too, seems kinda small in diameter and there's too much side wall in that tire.

Now now, please behave like adults and keep the topic on CX-5.

Seriously, the other day I almost killed the battery for not shutting the tailgate completely. I'm thinking about adding a solar panel on the roof so that it could at least keep the battery from depleting. Any idea?

Back