New water pump

dbzeag

:
Protege 2001 LX 2.0
It is about that time for me to get a new timing belt installed, and I was thinking about just replacing my water pump while I am at it.

Anyone have any recommendations on where and what to get? Is the $60 special at Advance Auto Parts with a lifetime warranty worth it?

Thanks for the help.

If you can find a new pump, go that route. The lifetime warrantee parts at any of the big chain auto parts stores don't generally last a lifetime. They bank on the fact that most people will not keep a vehicle long enough to bring it back for a warranty exchange.

It might work just fine but it might crap itself and take out your timing belt with it. Just something to think about.

goldwing2000 said:
If you can find a new pump, go that route. The lifetime warrantee parts at any of the big chain auto parts stores don't generally last a lifetime. They bank on the fact that most people will not keep a vehicle long enough to bring it back for a warranty exchange.

It might work just fine but it might crap itself and take out your timing belt with it. Just something to think about.

Where should I find a new one? I am ok with another OEM model, or even something aftermarket that is better, if there is such a beast. I would think that getting the parts from the dealer isn't the cheapest place.

Honestly, I have no idea. I know where you can get new pumps for small-block chevy V8s but I don't know too much about Protege engines. Since my 3 has a timing chain, it's not something that I've ever worried about. :D

Check the dealer, just so you have a place to start. Then check the local auto parts stores and see if any of them have a new pump, as opposed to a rebuilt one. After that, you can always scrounge around on the intarweb and see what you can see.

Have you checked Ken at protegegarage.com?

The seals on the water pump tend to go out after a while. Replacing the pump while you do the belt is a good idea.

I bought a new OEM pump and belt from someone on the forum, but ended up replacing the engine (due to hydrolocking and throwing a rod) before I got around to replacing the belt and pump. The new motor only had 6k on it, so I don't foresee myself using that belt and pump anytime soon. PM me.

Back