New to Turbos...aka FI aka Darkside? READ THIS 1st!

YP5 Toronto

Contributor
New to Turbos...aka FI aka Darkside.. Read this

There is an increasing amount of interest into the DARKSIDE!!!! An increasing amount of questions...some very simple. With that in mind....share the knowledge.

Lets keep this thread as clean as possible, but please post related links that educate others on the world of boost.

Great site:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Also i recomend getting Maxium Boost by Corkey Bell, every answer you need is in that book.

paulmp3 said:
Also i recomend getting Maxium Boost by Corkey Bell, every answer you need is in that book.

Thats the clue of everything....that book is like the ring in The Lord of the Rings.
I must recommend this.

Maximum Boost is a must for anyone who wants to understand turbo applications, and would like an overload of info as well. You can get it here:

http://www.bellengineering.net

And it WILL be autographed by the author......
I may sticky this thread...

Last edited:
As a reminder...please post up websites/links to general information on Turbo's and related subjects.

(Thanks Deck'd)

Last edited:
paulmp3 said:

Do NOT take this book as the bible of F.I. It is good for basic reference, but I suggest talking with guys who are building cars today. :D Joe is a great source of info, if you can ever get a hold of him.

Also, I am puting together a QnA type deal for the FI section of the promazda site. Once I get that done, I can also transfer it here, for reference.

Its going to be in sections, explaining from basic bolt on, to totally custom systems, and full stand alone managment. (it may not be protege specific, in some cases, but its better to be well armed, then to be in the ocean with no arms) (drive)

that howstuffworks.com is where I got my basics when I finally decided to plan on doing stuff to my pro. found it on a google search. They have clutches, trans, engines, turbos, etc. Lots of good stuff. Not all the articles are of the same quality, but still a good way to some of the basics down.

I think it all depends on how much you already know about turbo's . You have to have an idea of what you want to do with the car. Getting the Maximum boost book is a very very very very good idea and I would never down it at all. At the same time you can also do searches on yahoo and google. When you do these searches you must type in abstract things, like FMU, turbo , what is a turbo manifolds and other stuff like that.
You will find out that there are plenty of sites out there and there are so many different set ups out there. Once you figure out if you want to control the system by an FMU and higher flowing fuel pumps or a stand alone system, and you have figured out what the set up will be configured for ie: autocross, drag, course racing, street. Then you can figure out which turbo will be the right turbo for you and what boost will be ample.

Just make sure you ask plenty questions to those who are already turbo and be critical of everything.

there's a lot you can find in the posts here as well. Protege specific stuff. Check out linuxracr's posts about his turbo install, and you can get some practical stuff from my turbo install as well.

Back