New Struts, Rear is slammed now.

91Protege

:
91 Protege LX, 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
So I got a hell of a deal on 4 new Tokico Blues, part number HB2223-2226. I used all Moog mounts front and rear, and there greaseable links. So I swapped everything and now the rear is slammed, is there a difference from the Stock MSP Tokicos to the New ones? *************** says they fit all models vs MSP specific. Any ideas? Im gonna pull the rear struts back out tomorrow and see what the difference is.

The factory MSP struts are only available on crossover auto, the replacement struts are for a regular protege and as you have discovered have a .75" lower spring perch than the factory struts. Your options are to buy the expensive correct struts, reinstall your old ones, get lowering springs to lower the front to match or get the correct springs for the current struts for a regular protege. The spring perch height is why with the Tein S tech springs the rear doesn't actually lower any, because they are made for regular protege struts.

So the front struts are the same, just the rears, what is the lowering height of the stock Racing Beats? Id rather keep the height it has vs lower it more and make it undriveable in the area I live in, roads around here are not lowered friendly

Last edited:
I've done the same to my car , I had a great deal on new tokicos , my question is , the rear end links will fit this new struts or do I have to get longer end links to fit the new tokico blues ?

Same end links fit, just ordered Tanabe lowering springs, 1.2 front, and 1.0 rear. I think stock is .75 lower on the racing beats. Hoping since the Tanabes are for a P5 that the rear will be just about the same as the front.

I got the NF210s, they are supposed to ride good and not drop it as much as the others. I put em all in the other day and it does still ride nice. The front and rear a now matched and it does still handle as well as with the racing beats. Here are some pics
Rear Springs

How it sits

Just some pics from when I changed the struts with the racing beats

I've been wondering what happens when you put MSP springs on p5/sedan struts... i know it'll lower that back, but now how much. Apparently, "slammed"... ouch, i hope my struts last a long time. That, or tokicos stay around $400 so i can afford shocks and springs when mine blow.
The ride height with the tanabes doesn't look too bad- not too low eh? Maybe that'll be an option for me down the road...
...thanks for the post/info

The fronts are the same, just the rears are different. I got my set of Tokico Blues from ebay for like 220 for all 4, they are for the non-msp/mp3. Still was cheaper with buying the tanabes then gettin the correct struts.

Back