New stereo install popping ROOM fuse

ccarmichael

:
03 Protege5, 08 Mazda5
Hey folks,

I just installed my new stereo and am having a problem with the wiring harness. As soon as I connect the wiring harness to the factory plug, the ROOM fuse pops and I get no power to the stereo. Before I go ripping stuff out and checking voltages and such, have you any thoughts on where I should start looking for the problem? Would a bad ground cause the ROOM fuse to pop? The AUDIO fuse is fine (which I find strange)...

BTW, the install instructions say to "chassis-ground" the new radio, which I did, leaving the ground lead from the wiring harness free. Mistake? Connecting the ground lead from the HU to the wiring harness would require snipping of the connector which I was hesitant to do...

Advice?

The Blue/Red wire on the stock harness is connected to the ROOM fuse (page 54 of the wiring manual), I'm not 100% sure what it's for (lighting/dimming maybe?).

Have a look at your adapter harness and see where that wire goes, I suspect your new radio is grounding that wire or something stupid like that. If you clip the wire (on the adapter harness) you should be fine.

How did you "chassis-ground" the stereo? As a rule of thumb you shouldn't leave any grounds "floating". If the ground wire of your adapter harness is physically connected to the ground of the stock harness then you really shouldn't leave it floating. If it's connected to the radio then it really doesn't matter because you say you already grounded it properly.

i think there is a good chance that the ground you left floating IS related to you're fuses since you are using the factory 12+ and 12v switched

Ok, so I hooked up the grounds properly and I'm still popping the fuse (I'm collecting quite the pile of blown fuses!) ... I'm going to pull the whole harness out tonight and inspect everything again to make sure all the connections are good... Would someone be able to point me to a pinout diagram for the OEM harness?

Cut that little spade connector off the ground of your aftermarket harness and solder/crimp it to the factory ground wire. Might help. Nobody really keeps that connector on.

Back