New owner here, 2006 MazdaSpeed6 Sport

Warning sarcasm detection(shocked) It's been 20 years since I've had to haggle with a dealer over a new car price. The last 3 vehicles I have purchased were from a local Car auction lot, where I paid 500.00 over auction price directly to a high school friend who was an authorized dealer.

The 3500.00 in dealer rebates/incentives were offered up front by the salesman. 30 minutes into the haggling process, the wife and I said we would have to think about this overnite, thanked TY ( the salesman) and walked out the door.
As we we're walking to our car the sales Manager (Randy) approached us and asked if there was anything he could do to get the sale today. We said no that we had to think about it overnight, he replied, OKAY how about another 1000.00 off? We explained again that we needed to think about it overnite but thanked him for his time. He replied okay, I'll throw in the CAI and shipping charges (the Car we wanted was sitting in Louisville, KY and would need to be shipped or driven to Nashville. Again we told him we needed to think about it and left.

The next morning after checking with our banker/credit union on new car rates, we called Randy back and told him we would take that deal he offered.

Breaks down like this, I made a $10.00 error;

MSRP $28750.00
less the following:
Dealer rebate -$2500.00
Dealer incentive -$1000.00
Dealer offered -$1000.00
CAI costs installed -$490.00
Shipping from Louisville -$300.00
Final cost $23460.00

From reading other posts here, I understand that dealer incentives vary from region to region and that some dedicated individuals who may be more adept at the negotiative process have recieved better deals, we are happy with ours but If someone here who is better at this process is willing to fly to Nashville before tomorrow and help me WRING out a few more bucks from the dealer, you have an open invitation to come on down............Said individual will recieve free boarding, a REAL southern style breakfast (Country Ham and eggs, Real Bisquits w/milk gravy and GRITS) plus my eternal thanks for life. (enguard)

Last edited:
welcome to the familia, and don't let the dealer push you around and get your cai installed or sent to your house.

there was no sarcasim intended in my post :)
the internet has weird ways about how sayings always get to be misinturpreted.

when i got my protege5 4 years ago the dealer wouldn't even throw in any free oil changes.... so i was trying to see how u got such a good deal with yours. cai nice... if you don't need the power and if u take it off your car now u could probably make an extra 280-300 bucks by selling that to another forum member. heehee

so what i gathered is walk out on their initial offer. walk out after the second off and walk out after any offer but be polite. and also let them know firm that u need to make a decision away from the dealership :)
thanks for your help

also when you pay taxes on new car, are the taxes calculated before all the discounts or after all the disccounts?

Klip said:
Breaks down like this, I made a $10.00 error;

MSRP $28750.00
less the following:
Dealer rebate -$2500.00
Dealer incentive -$1000.00
Dealer offered -$1000.00
CAI costs installed -$490.00
Shipping from Louisville -$300.00
Final cost $23460.00
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but how can you subtract the CAI cost and the shipping to get a final cost, when the MSRP didn't include those two things. Shouldn't the final cost be 24,250 plus a free cai and shipping

ProtegeV, your right hmmmmmmm now I have to show up at the dealer in the morning wondering how they got to this amount but sure enough your Math is correct.

One thing I know for sure is the MSRP (I saw that and wrote it down in my notes)

Two, the dealer rebate of 2500.00 was quoted by salesman.
Three, the incentive of 1000.00 was obtained by using MAC financing.
Four, the extra 1000.00 was obtained by the Wife an I being uncertain about finishing or agreeing to the deal that day. (as we walked out the door)

The last 2 items were indeed NOT part of the MSRP and it's funny that it worked out that way. But I have to say this, this is in "truth" the deal I negotiated with the dealership, whether or not its the deal I walk out with in the morning (I am suppose to pick it up and sign all paperwork Friday morning) I'll have wait an see. More Later...............

As to negotiation tactics, the 'walking out the door' after spending a few hours haggling with the dealer or gathering information from the dealer about all the costs involved is just absolutely neccessary. I mean to say, that the wife an I left the house that morning promising each other that we were only going to look and test drive some new mazda's. We agreed NOT to commit to anything the dealer might offer. So the walking out the door was'nt really a negotiating tactic at all, just what we agreed to do beforehand. But it's still a good idea......

Secondly, when I called back the next morning, I missed an opportunity to haggle some more (smacks head............DoH') because we accepted the previous days offer with no word at all about, "well Mr Sales Manager we would like to buy the car but after sleeping on it, we just don't think we are ready yet" this would have been a good tactic had I thought ahead and used it, who knows maybe another 500-1000 off...

I also like the 'old' writing a number down on a pad of paper and asking the salesman to match this number..........

Regardless, I will have my calculator with me in the morning for all the shenanigans likely to occur when I sit down to sign on the bottom line.

Actually, this has been a fun process, a little give an take on both sides. I do NOT pretend to be anything more than a normal joe trying to get the best deal possible and as I noted and have read here on this forum, a few others have received better deals. Whether that means better negotiating skills or price differences from region to region is hard to say. This is definitely a good time of the year to go and try to make a deal on a new car because there are still 06 models on the lots along with all the newer 07's and the dealers have to get rid of them. So...................

Last edited:
I am impressed with the car. I've never had a car/truck with more than 150 hp so you can imagine how much fun this is for me. I've been led to believe that these are made in Japan and I believe you can see/feel the difference in the quality of the craftsmanship vs a car made here in America.
As stated in my earlier posts, I hope to upgrade things such as the CAI (done) and the exhaust system (not yet) so she can breath a little better as long as it does'nt affect the warranty.
Other items I'd be interested in are: Oil cooler, Transmission fluid cooler (if this applies to a manual transmission) but I am not sure these items are available yet. Things that will prolong its normal use.

The transmission cooler is not necessary but you my want to look into a turbo timer that will prolong the life of the motor and the turbo. Oil cooler would be nice also.

Speed6 Guy said:
The transmission cooler is not necessary but you my want to look into a turbo timer that will prolong the life of the motor and the turbo. Oil cooler would be nice also.

I don't think a turbo timer is neccessary either :)

Back