New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

Here in arabia's heat the stock a/c is really crappy.

Double tinted windows and it just keep you from sweating like a peg.

Crappy car with over-hyped MPG with bad nav system thats keep on resetting and a small crappy intercooler that heat sock like a b****.

Thx mazda :)

The lower interior volume is really only an issue with max cargo space with 2nd and 3rd row folded. Which I think most people hardly ever fill their crossover to the max with all seats down. Maybe once in a while.

The important numbers are room in each row which the CX-9 has plenty of (has more leg room in 2nd and 3rd row than a majority of competitors). What also counts is space individually behind 3rd row and behind 2nd which is very camparable.

+1 for this comment. I recently attended a couple of auto shows and made sure to sit in the second row or back seat of as many SUVs as I could. The 2016+ Mazda CX-9 definitely holds its against its competitors in its class. I nor most people I know who have SUVs rarely have them full up all the time. At that point you can just put a hitch on your vehicle and trailer the extras every now and then when needed.

Here in arabia's heat the stock a/c is really crappy.

Double tinted windows and it just keep you from sweating like a peg.

Crappy car with over-hyped MPG with bad nav system thats keep on resetting and a small crappy intercooler that heat sock like a b****.

Thx mazda :)

"Crappy car" is bit of a stretch for the best vehicle in the segment.

"Crappy car" is bit of a stretch for the best vehicle in the segment.

No way near best. Check all review, ratings and ranking sites. And definitely not in the top 5 with the slew of deficiencies and issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way near best. Check all review, ratings and ranking sites. And definitely not in the top 5 with the slew of deficiencies and issues.

I remember I read the cx9 get great reviews everywhere too

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

Every comparison I've read and watched, CX-9 wins.

Only a few initially. Now later on after they figured out there is not more than driving dynamics to this vehicle it has dropped off.

#11 on US News https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/midsize-suvs Sorento is #1
That list is very strange...did it come in 1st? Or did the Sorento really come in 3rd? The Kia is listed first just because of it being Alphabetized...before the 1st place Toyota and 1st place VW... This publication needs a better ranking system....

If you understand ranking systems that is 3 way tie

Mazda has cheaped out on the cx9. Its lacking in a ton of features and has half assed basic things like AC and seats. No wonder sales are abysmal. My 6 is a better Mazda with all features

Only a few initially. Now later on after they figured out there is not more than driving dynamics to this vehicle it has dropped off.

#11 on US News https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/midsize-suvs Sorento is #1

That's a joke of a ratings system. These types of rankings assign the same value to each category - categories in this case limited to just a handful. I hope people don't make purchase decisions based on these.

Also notice the 2.5 out of 4 ranking for CX-9 reliability. From a "reliability" standpoint, the worst I've seen with the CX-9 is a buggy infotainment system. Where is the 2.5 from? The Pilot has a garbage 9-speed transmission and gets a 3.5. Same with Durango. Lots of issues and it gets a 3.

Here's a couple of proper comparisons where all things are considered.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-9/2016/2017-gmc-acadia-2016-mazda-cx-9-2017-toyota-highlander-comparison/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFV6Ws6Ut20&t=59s

Mazda has cheaped out on the cx9. Its lacking in a ton of features and has half assed basic things like AC and seats. No wonder sales are abysmal. My 6 is a better Mazda with all features

Couldn't you say that every other vehicles in the segment "cheaped out" by not offering Nappa leather (in most cases), real wood, real aluminum, heads up display, premium exterior and interior styling, 20" wheels, and by far the best driving dynamics? Why can't different people value different things. Some people focus on gadget count, others value the more passionate and emotional qualities of a vehicle.

April 2017 sales: Abysmal?

Mazda6 - 2,249
CX-9 - 2,134 (best April since 2011) continues to grow

Mazda6 sales are in much worse shape since mid-size sedans always far outsell the mid-size ute in a line-up. 50% more is typical. It's a damn shame since many consider the 6 the best car in class.

Last edited:
As a new CX-9 owner, the AC issue is overblown, not pun intended. It's fine. I was in 98 degree heat, and it cooled it down fine.

re: the US News ranking, I doubt they even drove them. I've driven all the major ones (Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, etc), and it's no comparison to the CX-9. Mazda's challenge is to get people in the car / even consider it.
Everyone I meet is like "whoa, what is this? A Mazda...then we go for a ride and it's all appreciative nods. When I let them drive it, the grin won't come off their face.

That's a joke of a ratings system. These types of rankings assign the same value to each category - categories in this case limited to just a handful. I hope people don't make purchase decisions based on these.

Also notice the 2.5 out of 4 ranking for CX-9 reliability. From a "reliability" standpoint, the worst I've seen with the CX-9 is a buggy infotainment system. Where is the 2.5 from? The Pilot has a garbage 9-speed transmission and gets a 3.5. Same with Durango. Lots of issues and it gets a 3.

Here's a couple of proper comparisons where all things are considered.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-9/2016/2017-gmc-acadia-2016-mazda-cx-9-2017-toyota-highlander-comparison/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFV6Ws6Ut20&t=59s

Couldn't you say that every other vehicles in the segment "cheaped out" by not offering Nappa leather (in most cases), real wood, real aluminum, heads up display, premium exterior and interior styling, 20" wheels, and by far the best driving dynamics? Why can't different people value different things. Some people focus on gadget count, others value the more passionate and emotional qualities of a vehicle.

April 2017 sales: Abysmal?

Mazda6 - 2,249
CX-9 - 2,134 (best April since 2011) continues to grow

Mazda6 sales are in much worse shape since mid-size sedans always far outsell the mid-size ute in a line-up. 50% more is typical. It's a damn shame since many consider the 6 the best car in class.
I think the publications PREDICTED RELIABILITY is being affected by the 2015 and earlier FORD based CX-9's.

20K miles on the clock, a lot of driving in 90F+ temps and NO issues with the AC WHATSOEVER!

For the record, I'm a "BIG guy" (AKA FAT, over 375 when I bought it, 313 now) I'm usually HOT while everyone else is comfortable.
But with the CX-9 I've had no issues, that is with black leather seats, dark blue metallic paint.

I DO keep the rear shades up all the time, but factory dark tint on windows.

With 6'6" legs, I will agree about the lack of seat base recline/leg support, but that is my only complaint about a car that I otherwise LOVE.

I think the publications PREDICTED RELIABILITY is being affected by the 2015 and earlier FORD based CX-9's.

They use JD Power for reliability data - however, their site has no rating for the 2016 or 2017 CX-9 so I have no idea where they are getting that rating. The text of the review states the new CX-9 should be about as reliable as a Pilot (3/5 stars), which is average, and just below the Ford Edge.

Time will tell if the new CX-9 powertrain is any better or worse than the Ford sourced one. I hope the transfer case is better, and that Mazda's water pump design isn't brain-dead.

After driving through the hot desert several times now, my impression is that the air conditioning is fine, but the black dashboard and door trim are very effective radiant heat collectors.

Used an infrared temp sensor on A/C outlets. It blows plenty cold. It is a larger interior, and take a while to cool.

Tinted windows make a huge difference.

After driving through the hot desert several times now, my impression is that the air conditioning is fine, but the black dashboard and door trim are very effective radiant heat collectors.

Agreed. I have a DashMat on all of my Arizona cars and it seems to help a lot (along with the functionally required window tinting out here) in keeping the interior cooler.

I noticed a big difference when I went from a 2011 CX-9 with a light interior to the "black cave" of the 2015 I own. My wife's 2016 CX-5GT is another cave of black with the white seats. Dash cover is a big help there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back