New Mazdaspeed 6 noob

I traded in my '02 Altima 3.5 for an '06 MS6 last week! I love almost everything about the new car. I look forward to waking up in the morning just to drive to work lol. But anyways, I'm a noob with no experience in modding cars, but I'd like to add a few mods to my MS6 that #1 won't void the warranty and #2 won't hurt the engine. I'm interested in any mods that will improve my driving experience whether it be performance or appearance.

#1 - Blow off valve
I know its rice, but I love the sound a bov makes. I also read that it hurts performance. Is this true? What can I do about it? Also, does a bov void any warranty?

#2 - Intake/Exhaust
What are some good intakes/exhaust to get for the ms6 and how big of an improvement are they over stock? I'd prefer to keep the exhaust noise low as I'm more interested in performance than sound.

#3 - Installation
Like I said, I'm a complete noob to modding cars. The only thing I've really done is change the oil/brakes/other fluids on a regular basis. How hard is it to install a blow off valve/intake/exhaust? Would you advise a noob to have a shop do it?

Any other worthy mods to the ms6?

I've been reading the forums for a couple of days now and I'm trying to soak it all in, but it'd be nice to have some quick answers as well. Any helpful feedback would be great, thanks.

ok heres the rundown

a bov can hurt your car by having compressor surge(where all the air isnt blown off, and it hits the turbo, and makes it spin the other way)

alot of people here are running the MS cai, and most are running a 3" exhaust setup.

installing these things on your car is easy, and can be done in a day with a help from a friend. its not nearly as intimidating as it seems.

Thanks. I've been reading a lot of contradicting information on this site and it is really confusing me.

I read problems with cold air intakes such as them throwing check engine lights as well as issues with them in the rain, and it rains a lot where I'm at. What about short ram? What's the difference between cai vs. short ram intakes?

And from what you say about the blow off valves... I think I'll pass on them. But what about a bypass valve? Would that give the same "pssst" as a bov without any issues?

What is a good brand of exhaust? So far I've only read about magnaflow on the ms6 and it seems great, but I'll do more research on other brands as well. Sorry to be so noobish, but any little bit of info helps a lot.

Last edited:
I have everything done you mentioned if you wanna check out my car i live in ogden, i might be down in SLC today though around noon.

Also if you want to mod without potentially hurting your warranty you may as well not do anything in the first place, some dealers will find any way to say xx mod caused this to happen so sorry you lose.

Thanks. I've been reading a lot of contradicting information on this site and it is really confusing me.

I read problems with cold air intakes such as them throwing check engine lights as well as issues with them in the rain, and it rains a lot where I'm at. What about short ram? What's the difference between cai vs. short ram intakes?

Some of the very first CAI had some problems, but I haven't really read any recent posts about new people having any problems. (??)

I've had a MazdaSpeed CAI on my car since I bought it, easy install too. I've never had any issues with it in cold, rain, heavy downpours, puddles, etc. Having a CAI I would try to avoid deep standing water on the driver's side though, which is easy to avoid when you think about it (unless your street floods completely). The filter starts about 18in off the ground, so you'd probably be worried about driving through a puddle like that in the first place (it would be above the door sill).

I would also suggest investing (~$15) in a HydroShield (a simple high-flow nylon cover that keeps water off). It will help prevent the filter from getting moist if driving in heavy rain from the splatter (which obviously causes poor air-flow).

Lol you suck man

But thanks for your guys' advice. I've looked into it a little more and I think I'll go w/ a mazdaspeed cai to avoid warranty issues and it has a water gaurd as well.

A hybrid blow off valve seems perfect as well since I need to have it recirculating, but I want the cool whoosh sound as well w/ vta. I'm worried about how it will affect my performance though as I've read that person has lost 10hp w/ one.

Russrad... please pm me with some of your personal info. I'd love to check out what you've done to your ms6! I actually live in Centerville, so I'm a bit closer to Ogden. thanks.

Back