New Mazda6 vs New Ford Fusion

Who knows, maybe Ford will not follow in VW's footsteps. VW has enjoyed plenty of complaints about DCT too. And even the Ford service writers were still complaining about Focus and Fiesta DCT driveability in 2012, long after it's introduction.

VW did in the beginning but they have fine tuned it for most of their applications and get a lot of praise nowadays from the public and the press. Hopefully Ford can do the same and improve on their transmission too.

VW did in the beginning but they have fine tuned it for most of their applications and get a lot of praise nowadays from the public and the press. Hopefully Ford can do the same and improve on their transmission too.

Yes, that would be preferred. Ford is not there yet.

You have to admire what Ford has done, compared to other USDM makes. Never needed a bailout,

Granted it sounds good but Ford lost just as much money as GM during the downturn. Ford had just taken out a huge loan prior to the crash so they had enough cash on hand to burn to get them through. It wasn't that they were running their business that much better or even profitably that kept them from needing a government loan. When GM went looking for money to borrow there just wasn't any available through normal channels. Money that would have been there and available to them 6 months earlier, regardless of how bad they'd been running the company (like Ford's loan).

I do still think that Ford woke up from the 'it doesn't matter if it is crap, as long as we build it they will buy it' line of thought a bit before GM and I will give them credit for that.

All manufacturers have their issues,

One thing that Honda did really well early on is how they handled the issues. I had a business professor that told a story of how when Honda first came out with cars in the US he went and bought one. After he'd had it for quite some time the A/C compressor quit and so he paid to have it replaced since it was out of warranty. A month later he got a letter in the mail from Honda saying that they thought the A/C compressor should have lasted longer than that and here's a refund check for what you paid. He hadn't complained to them or anything. So now he only buys Honda and Acura and he tells every class every semester that story about Honda. With that couple hundred dollar compressor they bought a million dollars in advertising.

For comparison there was a long term test car (brand new) at Edmunds.com a couple years back that was a dodge or chrysler and it would make a really loud noise from the brakes when backing up. The dealer told them that they could fix it but it wasn't going to be covered under warranty. Sure, by the letter of the warranty the brakes are probably a wear item and aren't covered no matter what the issue. But look at the negative publicity they gained by not making the car right.

Ford's DCT feels like a newbie driving a manual for the first time at low speeds... although I kinda like it lol but I know most people don't.

This is the best description of Ford's dual clutch i've ever heard. My wife has a 12 Focus with the DCT. When I drive it after driving my CX-5 i'm like what the heck is this transmission doing? It feels like the first time i drove a stick but every time.

Hey guys new here. I was pretty much in line to get myself a new Ford Fusion with the 1.6L ecoboost engine sometime this year. The car looks really good compared to the rest of the midsize pack and handled fairly well according to reviews. But as soon as i saw the new 6 the fusion just pretty much lost to it in my books. It looks even better than the ford and plus its light on the feet, and according to reviews the 6AT is very responsive to throttle inputs, whereas in the fusion it is economy tuned and slow react, something l learned to hate after driving a rental cruze LT. Now i just dunno if i can wait out till the diesel one comes around, with all the torque it has, But the gas variant is very good too, and loser MSRP.

OP, I am in the same boat. Mazda 6 vs. Fusion. I've test-driven both. The Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost definitely has more power that you can feel. But, the cockpit is WAY overloaded with buttons and gadgets. Information overload and too many distractions in my opinion. The Mazda is MUCH better looking and has an easier to manage cockpit, but the engine is small and sluggish. If Mazda offered a turbo-4, it would absolutely crush the Fusion. But they are going after the ultra-economy crowd. 36mpg is awesome for beautiful sedan...but I would rather have a 240hp turbo-4 that gets 32mpg. I think Mazda missed the boat on the engine and future models will include a turbo 4.

Having said all that, I just don't see me driving a Ford. I like the Mazda because of it's sporty looks and simple cockpit.

Mazda will turbo the Skyactiv engine eventually. They might need to turn down the compression ratio a tad bit.

As for Fusion...
xlarge.jpg

Fusion fastback roofline and Aston grill are hot, nice sport sedan styling. I'm not expecting a Skyactiv turbo engine anytime soon from Mazda.

Personally, I would get the Mazda6, but I would wait until this summer when the Touring trim will be offered with the manual transmission. The Fusion looks good, but I think the mileage ratings are inflated, the MyFord touch is too wonky, and the automatic sucks.

Another good choice would be the Accord Sport. Yes, it's an Accord, but with the manual it is seriously a rocket (6.6 secs to 60, according to Car and Driver).

Yawn....another perfectly boring, soccer-mom, uninspired family sedan from Honda. I'm sure it is a very well made car and great value for your money...just not something I would look forward to driving. I prefer cars with a little pizazz and flair.

Apparently you haven't driven one yet. Those things can handle like no other sedan in the segment (aside from the Mazda6 obviously), and paired with the manual is wicked fast for a naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder.

Apparently you haven't driven one yet. Those things can handle like no other sedan in the segment (aside from the Mazda6 obviously), and paired with the manual is wicked fast for a naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder.

I think it's about a second faster than the Mazda6 0-60, and that's a 6-speed manual 4-cylinder. I also noticed that there's more headroom and the height of the passenger glass is longer on the Accord.
I'd definitely drive both before making a decision.

It's just a personal thing with me. Honda and Toyota make me sleepy.

It's just a personal thing with me. Honda and Toyota make me sleepy.

Agreed, Honda and Toyota have sold out, the driving experience is no were near the top of their list anymore. They are both contend making boring, ho-hum cars that appeal to the uninformed masses who wouldn't know what a good driving car was if it hit them in the face.

Agreed, Honda and Toyota have sold out, the driving experience is no were near the top of their list anymore. They are both contend making boring, ho-hum cars that appeal to the uninformed masses who wouldn't know what a good driving car was if it hit them in the face.

EVERY SINGLE publication has raved about the Accord's driving dynamics.

EVERY SINGLE publication has raved about the Accord's driving dynamics.
Don't read praise for the handling here.
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...um-dynamics-pedestrian-package-151229668.html

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121217/CARREVIEWS/121219899(I especially find this comment in the article revealing):, "Other than a slightly tauter suspension and a few bright bits, I'm at a loss to figure out what makes this Honda Accord a “Sport” model. It's as though Honda has completely lost its way when it comes to making a fun-driving, “sporty” car."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1209_2013_honda_accord_first_test/viewall.html ( Motortrend slammed the steering response, and will they did say it handled ok, they didn't praise it like they are the Mazda 6.

I guess not EVERY SINGLE publication is raving aobut the Accord's driving dynamics.
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

Love what Motortrend said about the 6 over it's rivals, "If you desire even a modicum of driving enjoyment from your midsize sedan, this transmission alone is a major reason to buy the Mazda6 over a new Honda Accord or Nissan Altima and their soggy CVTs, or the new Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu and their stubbornly unresponsive autos."

Back