New mazda project: AWD/Turbo inside

sean22306

Contributor
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Picked up an 88 mazda 323 GTX. They were only made 2 years (88 and 89) and only 1,243 were sold in the states. Pretty rare to see them pop up for sale.

Currently it starts up and idles. Runs and drives but misfires/backfires. Sounds like its out of time to me. Needs work but for $500 I'm very pleased :D

Picking her up: gotta love the rigged gate because the trailer was short lol.
07182010027.jpg

07182010026.jpg

Made it home: only broke 1 strap
07182010028.jpg

07182010030.jpg

07182010031.jpg

FB cage fits in there surprisingly well. Hopefully I work out a deal for it :D Mild rally build here we come.

Yea its gonna be a blast. Now to get the bad msp running so I can sell it lol.

Then I can revert back to my old mazdas :)

O yea to sweeten the deal I got a brand new badass radiator (which I'm trading for the FB cage to mod and use in there.) and some cross drilled slotted rotors for it.

Its also running a vj11 (bigger than the stock vj14) and has an aftermarket fmic kit. I'm beyond happy with it lol. I've looked for one so long.

Stopped by my buddy's apartment where it's parked today on my way home from work to see if the car had a disty I could easily adjust the timing. First thing I did was trace the wires to make sure they're hooked up right. They weren't, 1&2 were flip flopped. Fixed that, now the car runs and drives perfect :D

Gonna throw the stock wheels off my 7 on there and try to fit the spare seat I have from the msp and it should be road worthy lol. I love simple fixes.

Put the stock 7 wheels and tires on it. Put the msp seat in it, not bolted in all the way gonna have to do a custom bracket to make it fit. Its good enough to move it around the parking lot. Tied up some of the wiring (this car is a wiring nightmare lol)

07192010037.jpg

Also looked up on the visor and saw this:
07192010035.jpg

its so awesome.

Also made a key for it out of a screw driver. Might upload those pics later lol.

O yea and we test fitted more of the cage, it will fit but needs some modification for sure.

made some crude carbon kevlar switch panels to help clean up the wiring a bit.

39837_623844505557_210610750_35313969_1495993_n.jpg

thats the fuel pump switch and push button start.

also got the car running good enough to drive her home :)

Last edited:
Very (cool)...I think interest in these older Mazdas may be growing now because of their simple yet lovable nature in addition to the fact they are affordable & make great project cars!!!

Any updates??? :D

Back