New Mazda 5 owner

ScottSXT

:
2012 Mazda 5 Sport 6spd manual
I just purchased a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport with the 6spd manual. This is my first Mazda. I've been driving for almost 23 years and have owned only Dodges save for one rogue GM product, but nothing in Dodge's lineup got me excited. The Mazda 5 was great to drive and met my needs so I took the plunge. I am a "car guy" and do all my own work/maintenance, and I have a couple of questions regarding the 5.

1) I bought the fog light kit and am going to install it myself. I have yet to get the kit and see the instructions, but is it essentially plug and play? I am thinking since the fog lights are standard on the other models the wiring is already there and I just need to install the lights and install a new stalk with the switch. Anyone have experience with this?

2) Where is a good place to buy aftermarket parts? Primarily I'm looking to keep it stock and maximize my gas mileage, but I do plan to add a drop in K&N air filter. Are there any cat-back exhaust options for the 5 out there?

Any feedback appreciated - thanks!

Congrats on the new car!

1) Mazda is pretty good about giving you everything you need for accessory installations, including all the required parts and detailed instructions. I have faith that you will have no issues installing the Mazda accessory fog light kit.

2) The very nice thing about the Mazda5 is that it is built on the Mazda3 platform. Just about every aftermarket accessory for the same model year Mazda3 will fit the Mazda5, including exhausts.

Thanks. I will have to give the Mazda 3 forum a look. I think my first mod is going to be wheels.

From a manufacturing engineering point of view, if a car has something as an option from the factory, it will come pre-wired for it. It's not worth it for the factory to procure and install multiple versions of a complex harness, and the dealer sure as hell doesn't want to pull new wires into the dash and out through the bumper just to install a light kit. The wires should be there.

As far as Mazda 3 exhausts, they should run the same route underneath the car, but you'll have to lengthen a section or two. The 5 is definitely longer than the 3, and the exhaust must be adjusted to compensate. I wouldn't look to cut up a new one, so either custom make one from mandrel bends or buy a used 3 exhaust and cut that up. Quite a few of the Mazdaspeed 3 folks ditch their factory exhausts when they're going for more power, so look for their exhaust systems.

On the Mazdaspeed 3 the turbo also helps muffle the exhaust noise though so that exhaust on an na car might be loud. I saw a few guys take SRT 4 stock exhausts and put them on naturally aspirated Neons only to take them back off because they were so loud.

But the stock exhaust on the SRT 4 Neon runs straight through the cat and then just through the resonators- there are no mufflers.

But the stock exhaust on the SRT 4 Neon runs straight through the cat and then just through the resonators- there are no mufflers.

Correct, stock SRT-4 exhaust just has a cat and two small resonators. Does the Mazdaspeed 3 exhaust have a muffler from the factory?

I was doing some searching last night, not too much aftermarket stuff out there for the 2012 Mazda 5 at at this point.

I'm pretty sure the speed 3 has a muffler from the factory- don't know for sure though, just trying to remember pictures.

When it's time for me to make an exhaust for my 5, I'll probably just end up using mandrel bend sections and weld my own. That, or hit up my buddy with the NC mandrel bender and design a complete mandrel bent setup for the 5 myself.

I picked up the 5 on 6/29. Drove it home through those wicked storms we got here on the east coast Friday night, thankfully did not see any hail.

To install the fog lights, the instructions are very detailed. Looks like a plug and play operation. The biggest issue is the front bumper cover has to come off. That doesn't look hard but there are quite a few fasteners to remove.

Installed a K&N drop in also.

Trying to decide on whether to keep the stock wheels or not. These are two I like.

M5Kosei.jpg
[/IMG]

M5Sport5.jpg
[/IMG]

the SE-17's would look nice in an 17". i like the simplicity of the 5-spoke.

I was leaning towards going with 16s because that would save me buying tires. Also, that will maintain ride quality. I know the 205 50 17s will improve the handing, but on this vehicle I'll trade some handling for ride quality. If I want to rattle my teeth I have other vehicles that will do that.

The Kosei's weigh 12.4lbs which is an advantage, though on some level I prefer how the 5 spokes look.

I have removed the fog lights on my 5 (pre-installed), and all I did was remove the black surrounds for the lights, not the whole bumper. Not sure if more is required for the installation of the brackets though.

I have removed the fog lights on my 5 (pre-installed), and all I did was remove the black surrounds for the lights, not the whole bumper. Not sure if more is required for the installation of the brackets though.

I saw another thread that also suggested the bumper didnt need to come off. I will get it up on ramps and see if I can get away with not removing it.

Fog lights are installed. Bumper did NOT need to come off. Three 8mm bolts on each splash shield and the 3 push pins on each in the front of the fender. Then the splash shield pulls down and you can access the fog lights. Or in my case, I could access the little block off panels and remove them to install the lights. Between the stalk (15 min) and the fog lights (30 min) it was an easy operation.

I also installed body colored molding from Sportwing today. I'm hoping this cuts down on people's parking lot carelessness, with 2 little ones I can't always park out in the far reaches of the parking lot.

Back