New Mazda 5 Owner with a few question

Avinitlarge

:
Mazda5 TS2 2009
HI
We've just bought a 2009 Mazda 5 (110BHP Diesel)
It was cheap due to the DPF filter being totally blocked. To solve this we cut it open and knocked it the filter out. Afterwards it was remapped, apparently to 170BHP, Can't see it being that high to be honest. Its pretty nippy now but I never drove it whilst it was stock so I have nothing to compare it too.

Anyway, onto the questions

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 110bhp and the 143bhp (apart from the 33bhp difference) is it different hardware or difference software or both?

Gear change feels quite stiff but after some searching on google, this seems quite normal which is a shame as I am used to quicker shifting. Is there anything that can be done about this?

The steering feels very notchy. The fluid was black so replaced it, It is black again so I don't know what's going on there. Need to have a look at it again. Is this a common problem?

Has anyone retro fitted cruise control to the Manual diesel? Is it as simple as just fitting the buttons to the steering wheel and changing the brake switch? Ive checked the brake light switch and wiring, the switch has 2 pins but there are 4 wires which is good.

I have a set of 18" RX8 wheels, What would be the best size tyre, 225/40 or 225/45?

Is the speedo normally accurate? 75 feels like 60 and 40 feels like 30. I could really do with checking it with GPS

And finally, Retro fitting front fog lights. Just replace the switch and fit the lights or is it more involved?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Engine difference? Not sure. Most of us are in the USA with no access to diesel Mazdas. With that power level difference, probably different hardware.

Aftermarket cruise is pretty easy to wire up. Connections for the brake switch, tap into RPM sense line, attach servo to throttle. Electronic throttle will be a bit different.

225/40

Most factory speedometers are calibrated a few percentage points faster than actual. I find the difference to be about 2-3% on the 5.

Yup on the fogs.

Thanks for the reply

I can add a couple of answers to my own questions now

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 110bhp and the 143bhp (apart from the 33bhp difference) is it different hardware or difference software or both?

After lots of searching, it looks like the 110bhp is a detuned 143bhp.

Gear change feels quite stiff but after some searching on google, this seems quite normal which is a shame as I am used to quicker shifting. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Still need to get to the bottom of this, Its making me not want to drive this car

The steering feels very notchy. The fluid was black so replaced it, It is black again so I don't know what's going on there. Need to have a look at it again. Is this a common problem?

Flushed a full bottle of ATF through the system, Its much better but still not 100%, Ive got a pump to fit, If it annoys me too much, Im going to fit it.

Has anyone retro fitted cruise control to the Manual diesel? Is it as simple as just fitting the buttons to the steering wheel and changing the brake switch? Ive checked the brake light switch and wiring, the switch has 2 pins but there are 4 wires which is good.

Ive fitted the steering wheel buttons from a Mazda 6, Not a straight swap but nothing difficult. When I press the cruise on button, the light comes on. The cruise wont activate because Ive not fitted the correct brake pedal switch, its looking promising though.

I have a set of 18" RX8 wheels, What would be the best size tyre, 225/40 or 225/45?

Now fitted with 225/40/18 tyres

Is the speedo normally accurate? 75 feels like 60 and 40 feels like 30. I could really do with checking it with GPS

Its not accurate, about 8mph out at 70mph according to the GPS speed. The faster you go, the more it is out.

Retro fitting front fog lights. Just replace the switch and fit the lights or is it more involved?

Finding the parts in the UK is proving difficult

Back