New Engine advise needed!

Woody54

:
'03 Protege 5, Vivid Yellow
my poor P5 threw a rod bearing, if you know anything, you know that's not good. So i have a few options, built motor (from protege garage $3,500... a little more than i have) option 2 is used motor ($1,000 from protege garage) 3rd option send it out and have it fixed ( ????? cost unknown right now).

Taking in to account that i really don't have the money for a built motor, what do you all think that i should do. (anyone have a motor they want to sell me?)

P.S. either way i go i'm getting the engine mounts, lightweight fly, udp, s*** like that cause the engine is getting pulled either way. Thanks for the advise!

Option #2, or just have PG tear it down and fix it for roughly the same price.

Installing new bearings isn't the most terrible thing to happen, just a bit labor intensive. Quickest turn around time too. I would just not get the flywheel if you do that option.

The motor *DOESN'T* have to come out, I would not do the mounts or flywheel and save your money.

if it was me....get at least the mounts if you have stock rubber ones. its worth the cost if your going to fix or replace the motor. my front and rear mounts have both failed and i put in the awr's. well the front one anyway...(jerkit)

just my opinion though.

james

that's what i figured, at least the front MM. but what if the crank is bent? isn't there a possibility of that with the bearing like that? then that would be a much bigger job right?

I didn't have this exact same problem, but I did have to replace my motor. I ended up frying the pistons rings on cylinder 1 and 3 which caused the car to misfire. After a lot of diagnostics and still driving the car around, we decided to pull the head. We didn't know the piston rings were fried until we pulled head because the car wasn't smoking, which is normally what happens. It ended up pitting the tops of cylinders 1 and 3 as well due to combustion. Anyways, my father, my brothers, two of my friends and I replaced the motor in about sixteen hours from pulling the block and transmission out, replacing the fly wheel (new motor came out of an automatic and mine is a 5 speed), putting in the new clutch, mounting the transmission to the new motor, dropping the motor in, hooking it all up and firing it up. Not a bad time for people that have never done a motor swap on a fuel injected car before.

Anyways, here is my suggestion. I picked my used motor up for $850 with about 40,000 miles on it. It took me two weeks to find one. I would suggest trying to find a motor like that, buying your new motor mounts because the stock ones do tear easily and quickly especially if you like drag racing or just dropping the clutch. After that, you should be good to go. I have heard that UDP's are bad for our cars, but everyone has their own opinion.

thanks for the advise guys, i decided to go with the used engine from protege garage. I'm lucky enough to live in the area so ken and the guys are going to do the swap and everything. i'm going with the udp, lightweight fly, new clutch and AWR motor mounts while the engine is out. (the labor is way, way lower while the engine is out!)

thanks for all the advise though!

Back