New CX-9 Owner (Introduction and a few questions)

Hi all! My wife and I just picked up a new 2010 CX-9 Touring yesterday. Dolphin Gray on Tan (Bose/Moonroof/Power Lift Gate/roof bars)!

We decided we need a larger family car to replace my '07 WRX Wagon since we have two large Greyhounds and a child due in late Feb.

I'd like to possibly add an auto dimming mirror (possibly with homelink), pet barrier, cross bars for the rails, and protector for the rear bumper.

Any suggestions besides the Mazda stuff? Also if I wanted the Mazda stuff, where's a good place to get it online and save some money?

Thanks!

Good places to get on-line:
- mazdaparts.org (a Mazda dealer)
- waynemazda.com (also a Mazda dealer)

Welcome. I also moved to the CX-9 from a Subaru Wagon ('05 Legacy GT) for similar reasons (two kids and one greyhound). I felt like I was making a big compromise at the time and I still miss the turbo kick in the Subaru but I appreciate the CX-9 more all the time. Our greyhound appreciates the headroom in the CX-9 but probably preferred the lower height of the Subaru (although she's 10 years old and has no trouble jumping in/out of the CX-9).

You'll see many posts here about crossbar alternatives. We have the Mont Blanc Aero Bars that are very easy to put on and remove and are fairly versatile. They don't offer quite the clean look of the factory bars though.

What dictates the max weight of the roof rails? The rails or the cross bars? From what I've found, the Mazda bars are maxed out at 100 lbs (same as my WRX's). Would putting different bars on increase the weight capacity?

I already have a Thule Atlantis 1500 which is a little on the short but tall side (wanted it to fit the WRX wagon) so I'm hoping for a lower profile cross bar system.

I believe the Mont Blanc Aero bars are rated at over 200 lbs. and you will find other posts on this site where people hold that as an advantage over the OEM crossbars. I don't buy it. I can't imagine that you should put on a load in excess of the rating of the weakest part of your setup. In this case, the 100 lb. limit on the rails should limit what you put up there regardless of the crossbars you choose.
I have the Mont Blanc Aero bars and a Yakima Skybox 18. No problems at all but I keep clear of parking garages. The box would probably sit 2" lower if I had the factory rails. I'm sure I've exceeded 100 lbs. but nowhere near 200 lbs.
You will find that the cargo box was much easier to load on the WRX than on the CX-9. I can get pretty good access to the rear of the box when standing on one of the back wheels but accessing the front of the box is tougher even when standing on the back door sills (I'm 6' tall).

I have both the factory cross bars and a set of Mercedes ML cross bars that fit the CX9. The Mercedes bars are clearly heavier duty and sit higher much like the Mont Blanc and Yakima/Thule cross bars. If I have a lot of lumber or such I'm inclined to mount the non factory bars but I use the factory bars for my Yakima Skybox 18. Kinda tough to get much more than 100lbs into one of those roof cargo boxes if you are just loading luggage so I haven't really been concerned about using the lighter duty factory bars. The advantage of the factory bars is that the load is lower by about three or four inches which helps stability for sure and probably cuts wind resistance a bit too.

Back