Matthew

Contributor
:
CX9, CX5, i8
I just bought some new parts.

3.0ghz Pentium 4 "Prescott"
Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G motherboard
WD Raptor 10k RPM hard drive

The prescott is a socket 478, and that motherboard is a socket 478, they should work, right? i mean, the motherboard doesnt HAVE to be JUSt for prescott, right?

if the sockets match of course though there are SOME issues where certain chips don't work with certain MBs but you should be fine

However you bought a Pentium so good luck with that.

hazeXban said:
if the sockets match of course though there are SOME issues where certain chips don't work with certain MBs but you should be fine

However you bought a Pentium so good luck with that.
whats wrong with the pentium? ive had both with zero problems ever.

cool, thanks. it was just that after i had researched etc, then bought, i happened accross another site that said "prescott ready" and it worried me.

i hope this crap works well. so many choices these days, buyin new pc parts. in the old days, it was just two choices, amd or intel.

Matthew said:
cool, thanks. it was just that after i had researched etc, then bought, i happened accross another site that said "prescott ready" and it worried me.

i hope this crap works well. so many choices these days, buyin new pc parts. in the old days, it was just two choices, amd or intel.

i know what you mean, when i built my pc, i was banging my head against the desk...

ended up with a abit mb, amd xp3000(barton core) and ati vid card.

even my mb said sempron ready, but my proc isn't sempron. confusing.

some people dont seem to like the intels, but im hoping it works well for me, if not, off to ebay it goes, i guess.

I just like AMD because they are better for gaming and AMD is the underdog.

Nothing WRONG with intel : )

A 3 ghz P4 is old tech... I had one running that speed over 2 years ago. Factor in that it's a prescott with an extra long pipeline and you've got one outdated processor.

hahaha still waiting to build myself a new one. finally scrapped my old pc (amd 700mhz) this year. just been using work laptop to websurf since I have no time for gaming.

the reason they call them prescott ready is cause the prescotts tend to run very hot...so get a damn good cooling fan...

matthew, others: what are you guys doing with the old parts? if you send them to me, or pm me...i can get them working on a cure for cancer, seriously.

folding.standford.edu is the main link, but the parts are swapped and donated to people on misc boards, to build machines to crunch numbers.

ill probably sell them on ebay. the hard drives im replacing are in perfect shape, and im starting to think that the mb is just fine, my computer hasnt had a fresh install in like 2 years. it gave me a good excuse to buy new s*** with some of my poker winnings.

Back