New Bose Stereo Problems

When I went in this morning to leave my car, they didn't even need to look at the problem. The service guy I spoke to said right away that Mazda has told them about the software issue and that a fix should be available in 30 days or so.

He said unfortunately I just have to live with it until then. But at least they're being up front about the problem...

I haven't been called about my radio. I'm thinking it's on backorder like everyone else and will probably wait it out. I was hoping the dealer would call but i'm sure they'll just wait till they get it in.

Thanks for the further confirmation it was a good thing getting this dealt with early, before the big rush and lack of parts availability :)

mazda Canada Customer Service

I visited my dealer this morning (Kramer Mazda in Calgary) and they didn't know anything about this problem. I talked to the service manager and he said he called Mazda canada and they didn't know anything about it.

They wouldn't even look at it without an appt (even though last week I talked to an advisor on the phone and he said I could drop by and they would take a listen and could order the part if they heard the problem). Anyway the service manager told me that I would need an appointment and even if they heard the problem, they would have to take the unit out to get the number off it before they could even order it. I'm thinking GREAT, they are going to take the dash apart twice and I'll have to sit there for a couple hours twice to solve the problem.

Fortunately I got the number for Mazda Canada customer relations from the Service Manager (1-800 263 4680). When I got home I called Cust Relations and I didn't even have to tell him what the problem was. As soon as I said the stereo, he said its a known problem and a bulletin has been written but not yet released. It should be out in about a week. Customer Relations said they were already beginning to contact the service managers.

Mazda Canada Cust. Relation guy said I could wait for the bulletin to come out and it might make it easier. Cust Relations even volunteered to phone my Service Manager, so hopefully he followed up on that.

I asked him if when the Bulletin comes out would they be able to order the part without taking it apart, but he couldn't confirm that. Hopefully they get it all straightened out and save me an appointment, Kramer Mazda some work, and I'll end up with a few less rattles in the dash.

Mazda Canada replied (finally...) to my emails and confirmed over the phone today that my radio needed to be replaced. They were unaware that my dealership had already ordered one for me, which is being put in this afternoon. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Seems like things are finally moving on this issue...

Hi everyone:

Well, I took my Mazda in this afternoon, and my stereo problem is now history!

Although he had no info from Mazda, my service manager went ahead and ordered a replacement radio for me a week or two ago. He showed the new radio to me; it had a March 08 manufacture date and a Mazda badge. When removed the old unit had an 07 manufacture date; I saw it as well.

Unit was replaced in about 30 minutes, (nice clean job, btw), and it clearly solves all the problems.

1. There is no bump from 34-34.
2. The ALC works correctly; it doesn't change the tonal balance.
3. The sound is cleaner, nice tonal balance, with bass throughout, much less distortion.
4. I *think* the radio reception is also improved... but can't say for sure.

I did note, as well, that the volume has to be set to a higher number to reach a given level. In other words, 35 isn't terribly loud, but a reasonable volume. Given that the volume range goes up to 65 this seems more reasonable than on the old unit - where 35 was straining.

I have not played the unit at really loud volumes, but wouldn't anyway, and I suspect it will handle that just fine.

SOoo... put me down as someone without a stereo issue.

What the HECK will I talk about now?! ;)

BTW, amendment... 35 is PLENTY loud.. maybe not with Jennifer Warnes (Famous Blue Raincoat), but certainly with Blue Rodeo (The Days In Between) and fer sure with My Chemical Romance (Black Parade)!

Cheers!

My dealer wants me to bring our car in to take out the radio to get the Serial Number off it. He says this is necessary in order to submit the request for the warranty replacement. This sounds kind of lame when they know there is a problem and Mazda has written a TSB. The reason I bought a new car was so I wouldn't have to bring it to the shop every other week.

Any other Canadians who've experienced this? I'm wondering if its a Mazda Canada requirement or if it is just my dealer being difficult?

thanks

P.S. I don't suppose there is an easy way to find the S/N. Maybe its on the sales agreement or something.

My service manager ordered it sight unseen... but obviously ymmv. Ask nicely if they really feel that is necessary, and if you think that isn't warranted, call Mazda Customer Service, or maybe try another dealership...

However, they pulled and replace my radio in less than 40 minutes, so it must not be a big deal to do this....

Cheers!

Got mine, and problem is fixed. Not only that, but there is the added bonus of better SQ. Before I had to have +3 treble, but now I can bring it down to +2. That's not indicative of how much better it sounds compared to the old one.

Keep at it, everyone... it's worth it.

Got mine, and problem is fixed. Not only that, but there is the added bonus of better SQ. Before I had to have +3 treble, but now I can bring it down to +2. That's not indicative of how much better it sounds compared to the old one.

Keep at it, everyone... it's worth it.

I certainly agree the sound quality is better, naddie! However, to my ears, the system is too bright! I'm experimenting with -2 on the treble! I am also very pleased that the ALC works correctly; I liked the idea but the effect on tonal balance was disturbing. With my working unit, ALC appears to my ears to have no effect on tonal balance, only on volume, as you'd expect.

Tomorrow, I finally wrest the car from my wife for a day, and I'll have 2 hours or so to play some of my favourite music.. yay!

Glad yours is fixed also!!

My service manager ordered it sight unseen... but obviously ymmv. Ask nicely if they really feel that is necessary, and if you think that isn't warranted, call Mazda Customer Service, or maybe try another dealership...

However, they pulled and replace my radio in less than 40 minutes, so it must not be a big deal to do this....

Cheers!

Thanks Fred, I will try another dealer once the tsb is actually out.

I was going to take mine in today but I ended up having to stay home with a sick child. I may wait for a tsb...

Backorder here too. Finally took my MS3 in to get serviced and the dealer was aware of the stereo issue. He told me they would pull my unit to get serial and then order a replacement, but that there is a backorder and could take over a month to get.

Hows everyones luck been with getting it swapped without the dash being damaged? I just got the call that my hu is in. But every car I've had in the past that a daler had to pull the hu out, the damn dash or some interior part thats hard to replace was scrathed up. I'm scared to death to let them do it. to the point that if theyll let me i'll pull it out myself....

Hows everyones luck been with getting it swapped without the dash being damaged? I just got the call that my hu is in. But every car I've had in the past that a daler had to pull the hu out, the damn dash or some interior part thats hard to replace was scrathed up. I'm scared to death to let them do it. to the point that if theyll let me i'll pull it out myself....

Only took them 25 minutes from start to finish, and it looks just as good as new. No problems. Obviously if they bungle it, they fix it, right? But my swap was painless.

Good luck!

My issue is taken care of also. Installation was pretty quick and looks perfect. Very glad its now taken care of..the car is my wife's but every time I'd drive it the issue would drive me absolutely nuts.

Back