NEw Air cooled project. Daughters first car.

Right now tryign to sell off soem toys of mine. (rc cars). then buying a welder, then hopefully a compressor, and little tools. then comes sheet, metal.

Lots of good used sheet metal places by me. and good prices on new pieces on-line.

sub. I drove a 67 beetle in high school. im in the market for another one now to build up... chop top drag car oooo yea...

NOthing major. Picked up some sheet metal. 30 bucks. will save me about 100 bucks for what some of this will replace. still way more to go.

IMG_2382.jpg

Was allowed to buy a new toy for this.Dont mind mess fo garag,e also a work in progress. (rewire, drywall, cabinets and counters.
IMG_2383.jpg

Call me a dick, but I deleted the posts. The OP did not ask for anybodies opinion of what car he should or shouldn't buy for his daughter. The OP is WELL aware of VWs having tinkered with them for 20 years.

Call me a dick, but I deleted the posts. The OP did not ask for anybodies opinion of what car he should or shouldn't buy for his daughter. The OP is WELL aware of VWs having tinkered with them for 20 years.

Agree 100%.

BTW, sweet build, OP! I've been quietly following for a little while. Jealous of your new weld setup!! (rockon)

Thanks.
I had to sell a few RC cars to get it. Wife understood we need one, had full permision to get it. (but now wife wants to weld, and have her own Pink welding helmet, which she will get).

NExt i need ot sell off another 8 rc cars, and i get my 60 gallon compressor, and start gettign hand tools. Then we will really get into it.

PLans first replace heater channels clear out most cancer with new panels. so body cna come off pan, and we can derust pan, fix 1 pan dent (no full cancer on it) repaint pan, put body back on, do most body work to prime. Wont paint it till withing 6 months of her driving, so paint stays fresh and bright.

no ill will

The longer a car's been around and on the road, the more of a soul it acquires. No matter what else can be said, classics are worth preserving, and anyone with the will and skill to do so are cool for doing so.

I apologize for drama real or perceived, and I wish the best of success for this great project.

Right now cash. PIcking up 1968 seats, and looking for parts. Waiting for a side car job so i cna order heater channels. Then waiting for Christmas for a few bonusus, and hopefully ordering all 4 disc brakes, and front adjustable beam? hopefully once we order heater channels, have enough strenght in body to pull it off. and start on pan. But when we get to get soem more work going and parts ill post. Finances right now. BUT will stil be a finished rnning car by march of 2012. (when she is 16)

Picking up a set fo 1968 VW seats today. Fabric torn up. whicvh is fine, PLan was to recover with all black new when ready. Wont be using the horse hair crappy padding, will eventually use the shaped foam than can be bought, going to 68 seats for the high back built in headrest. and the back seat is the same from 65-77. $60 for all seats.

168493_1794685234058_1447520717_31976974_7135603_n.jpg

Some months back, Picked up 2 1300cc stock motors, One with all parts needs a few thing to run, IE fuel pump distributor and wire and plugs, Long block has the fuel pump, a 12 volt generator and stand. and will be used as a core down the road. for a newer motor.

2/23/11
Picked up POP OUT rear 1/4 windows, 50 for the set all parts. But with age need new ruber seals (30-40 bucks) and hinge chome needs some wort. but new the kits go for 350-450 new. and theseare original German glass and great condition.
IMG_3312.jpg

3/3/11 FINALLY GETTIGN TO START ORDERING SOME PARTS.
Ordered new front beam, with adjusters welded in, stock to 3"lower, spindle to spindle rebuild. all German parts. (minus adjusters). new ball joints. was going to buy all 4 shocks but fronts were out of stock s just bought rears for now. *Pics when beam is picked up. waiting for now. Hopefully ordering more parts this or next week.
IMG_3314.jpg

3/7/11
Picked up new shifter with trigger for reverse, Trans mounts, steering coupler, new shift rod coupler, throttle and clutch cable and axle boots
IMG_3313.jpg

3/31/11
picked up beam, and 2 front shocks. Since beam took so long to build The 2 sets of Rear torshin arm bushing they gave me, (hurray saving $25 bucks)
And some pictures of Naomi working on stripping front bream down, so we can pull it bring it in, $150 rebate to return old on in, hopefully buy more stuff.
IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

Last edited:
Nice parts, and to see her working on it. Unlike all the snot nosed kids, she's going to respect the car much more.

OF yeah, most of the work yesterday she did, I only helped after she tried, and tried. Even popping the tie-rods off with a ball joint remover hand tool and a sledge she knocked them off. .

Good thing i bought a new beam. passenger side upper shock mount is rusted through as in peices of metal were missing. Hope they take the core refund.

awesome i thought you forgot about this thread. im glad you didnt cuz it is my fav non mazda build.

no forgot, was just waiting till i had soem update, I was hoping to have more done.

Looking to buy a kit of POR 15 hope to pull body off the pan in 1-2 months. then stripping pan of rust and paint, fix anything we can, ORderign a Stainless steel allen style screw kit. (a air ride suspension for VW company in AZ sells a complete kti for the car, Body bolts, engine tin, bumber bolts. and so on. ) so with ss screws hopfully no more rsutyt screws.
BUt pull body off, strip it to bare, and start strippign and cleanign all underneath parts. I found a set of spring plates for the end fo the torsion arms. instead of chrome there actually a Stainless steel made set. PRicey but SS.

So hope to have more updates sooner or later.

Back