New 2016 CX-5 Questions and thoughts

I bet they got the 10% NVH reduction just by using quieter tires with little to no other insulation changes. Hey, they don't have to tell you how they did it just that they did! :)

The standard UK 19" tyres are already one of the quietest available.

AFAIK no AWD lock button and the engines will remain the same. According to Mazda's main website - article on improved AWD in 2016, their electronic locking is that fast that a lock button is not needed. :) I would prefer to have the button, too. Just for the sake of it.

Well my 2013 model isn't, the fronts spin before the rears take up drive, way behind the 2009 Xtrail system I had.
I would guess all they have done is improve the system so it works like the Nissan set up, which I found faultless.

Wonder if the sunroof now has an auto close feature. ..

Then people would complain that it closed on hot days when they wanted to leave it open!

If I was the designer, I would integrate it with the rain sensing wipers sensor so, when it started to rain, it would close automatically or after a day when the automatic systems would turn off.

Then people would complain that it closed on hot days when they wanted to leave it open!

If I was the designer, I would integrate it with the rain sensing wipers sensor so, when it started to rain, it would close automatically or after a day when the automatic systems would turn off.

I thought they meant that it will close automatically if you press the button and hold it for a second, like it does to automatically open.

I thought they meant that it will close automatically if you press the button and hold it for a second, like it does to automatically open.

Correct, that is what I was referring to.

Holding down the button to fully close is annoying

I wish it closed as well like my G but it is what is.

The big question for me... does the '16 have memory seats (North American Model)? :)

Last edited:
Correct, that is what I was referring to.

Holding down the button to fully close is annoying

Yes, and unfortunately I suspect it's a "cost-saving" feature, so no finger detector/sensor is required.

Yes, and unfortunately I suspect it's a "cost-saving" feature, so no finger detector/sensor is required.

I suspect the same also.
I can understand cost saving, but mazda should have made these options available with the tech package (even if that would mean making the package more expensive):

-auto up/down on all windows (from drivers door)
-auto close moonroof (or better yet panoramic sunroof)
-auto open/close hatch
-auto fold/unfold side mirrors
-front seat cooling
-rear seat heating
-steering wheel heating
-smarter advanced keyless entry that doesn't require pushing a button on the handle
(my dad's audi has this... and you simply open the door, because the car unlocks when close the the door)

This would have seriously made me consider the package, because the current one, is a little bit short on features to be considered "technology". (hid, scbs, sat radio, nav) are nice features, but appart from scbs, the other features are pretty mainstream, and will become industry standards in a few years.

I think you're asking for options that do not belong to a car of this class. Mazda has struck a nice balance between a reasonably priced car and tech options that are sensible. Even then, it's certainly looking more and more like a BMW X3, which I was seriously considering until I drove the Mazda CX-5. You should really be looking at an Audi Q5, BMW X3 or MB GLK250 if you want all that stuff. These options are really frivolous and don't add anything to the driving experience and just add cost and a great deal of complexity. Just look carefully at what it takes to troubleshoot and fix a BMW X3 with all these electronic doo-dads. And read on the BMW forums on headaches that owners have in troubleshooting problems with all these electronics. There's a good reason why these luxury cars are bought on lease or if purchased, why owners dump them as soon as the warranty is over. I always own cars well past the warranty period so for me a car that requires a $125 hourly rate just to walk into the shop to connect a computer and which does not provide a customer with the option to buy a service manual is not for me.

Please, Mazda, continue offering options that are sensible and utilitarian and that enhance the driving experience -- stick to the core values that you've been so successful with so far.

I suspect the same also.
I can understand cost saving, but mazda should have made these options available with the tech package (even if that would mean making the package more expensive):

-auto open/close hatch
-front seat cooling
-rear seat heating
-steering wheel heating
-smarter advanced keyless entry that doesn't require pushing a button on the handle
(my dad's audi has this... and you simply open the door, because the car unlocks when close the the door)

This would have seriously made me consider the package, because the current one, is a little bit short on features to be considered "technology". (hid, scbs, sat radio, nav) are nice features, but appart from scbs, the other features are pretty mainstream, and will become industry standards in a few years.

I suspect the same also.

-auto open/close hatch
-front seat cooling
-rear seat heating
-steering wheel heating

I've seen this shortcut measure on moonroof as a cost-savings measure back on the 2001 Toyota Rav4.

But unlike the premium brand versions of compact SUV's (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jag) the CX-5 is sold in the US market for much more attractively affordable prices. So I'm not surprised by the cost containment measures even on the GT w/Tech package, the package is still a good deal here. I agree with MazdasForAll regarding features in this class.

m2c,

Likes: new dash, little change makes a big difference, exp. high end models.

just ok: the grill, rim design..

5 pages and no one mentioned the removal of the pantie dropper? (confused)

Been waiting for our first good snowstorm to take the wife's cx5 out for some fun in an empty parking lot. The handbrake is / was in an awesome position in this car.

Just curious, why do you dislike remote start? You don't have to use it.

When it's 20 degress outsite, it's nice to have the car warm before I get in and any frost on the windows is melted! In my wifes car, if the temp is below 40, seat heaters automatically turn on to! :)

And if it's above a temp I set, AC kicks on.

Some remote start users complain about low gas mileage, should not be a surprise.

Some remote start users complain about low gas mileage, should not be a surprise.

Well, when you remote start the car and let the engine idle to warm up, it's getting 0 gas mileage, so of course they're going to see lower MPG if they constantly use the remote start to warm up the car before driving. They could simply not use the remote start. I don't see how just having a vehicle outfitted with the option would give you lower MPG if you didn't utilize the option, though.

Well, when you remote start the car and let the engine idle to warm up, it's getting 0 gas mileage, so of course they're going to see lower MPG if they constantly use the remote start to warm up the car before driving. They could simply not use the remote start. I don't see how just having a vehicle outfitted with the option would give you lower MPG if you didn't utilize the option, though.

If you don't utilize the option there is no point in having it or paying for it.

Personally, in frigid conditions, I just lean in and push the start button. Then I can scrape frost off the windows, load any items I need to bring like skis and boots, grab my coffee and be on my way.

But I don't have one of those toilets that automatically cleans and dries my butt either so maybe I'm just more independent than most people ;-)

Back