New 2016 CX-5 Questions and thoughts

Besides all the great news, I hate that so called "feature" switching off the touch screen. I understands the risks of excessive typing (and I act accordingly) but I can also imagine situations when a single screen touch would be safer than, probably longer, operating the knob while staring at the same screen. Moreover, the passenger would feel completely discriminated. :)

ALafya, thank you for all the useful info. I would like to ask you if it is possible to load own POI file(s) and see your POIs on the map. Next, can you set up door auto lock somewhere in the car setup menu?

I would think at some point, they'll have to either come up with a sure fix for what we have, or offer us a functional replacement unit. Hopefully sooner than later!!

Besides all the great news, I hate that so called "feature" switching off the touch screen. I understands the risks of excessive typing (and I act accordingly) but I can also imagine situations when a single screen touch would be safer than, probably longer, operating the knob while staring at the same screen. Moreover, the passenger would feel completely discriminated. :)

ALafya, thank you for all the useful info. I would like to ask you if it is possible to load own POI file(s) and see your POIs on the map. Next, can you set up door auto lock somewhere in the car setup menu?
The passenger can easily access the knob as well. For most actions the knob will do fine.
It is true, however, that I try to touch the screen while the car is moving once in a while, forgetting it is not going to do anything.

Yes, despite the silly procedures ("press unlock 5 times within 20 sec" kind of procedures) mentioned in the manual, you can simply go to the Settings page and all these settings (AFAIK) are easily and directly accessible through there. My wife preferred the 'press button to lock' setting, which is my personal preference as well.

I looked and I can't find a way to get POI be set from a computer directly, other than figuring out how it is stored on the SD card and writing something to do it.
Mazda seems to offer free map updates for 3 years. More info about this is here.
Are you using Android Auto in 5.0?
This system is not Android Autos compatible, at least not as of now. I hope Mazda will update it to support it. They did say updates will be made available regularly.
I believe, the first company to have such a system will be Hyundai.

Last edited:
I hate it. This is simply over engineered security feature. Someone should hack the touch screen. :)

We also prefer manual locking but not every CX-5 has a pair of locking buttons. It can be seen even on the 2016 model photos. I hope we get locking buttons in Europe.

I had been hoping that an up to date device would handle user POI files. It is a good idea about exploring the SD card data though.

Thank you ALafya.

I very rarely use the commander knob, on the CX-5 its easier to use the screen, only useful commander function is the back button.

A cup holder would be more useful.

I tried playing music from through USB yesterday for a short time (normally, the car is without a media player/USB device). The good news is that playback does seem to resume. The way I tested this is started playing something then turned the car off, waited for about a minute then turned the car back to accessories mode. The music resumed exactly where it left off.
However, on start-up it looks like the system is actively reading the song list in the background. While doing so, the USB root menu / folder list is grayed-out and cannot be selected. This process takes a while to complete. When it completes, these menu options become available.

It would be AWESOME if the CX-5 had a AWD locking feature like the RAV-4.
Super useful if for situations where locking 4x4 is needed.

anyone know if the 2016 model will have a power liftgate? I currently own 2013 model and sorely miss a power liftgate

AFAIK no AWD lock button and the engines will remain the same. According to Mazda's main website - article on improved AWD in 2016, their electronic locking is that fast that a lock button is not needed. :) I would prefer to have the button, too. Just for the sake of it.

I wonder what are the differences between the AWD systems? It sounds like some tweaking to get marginally better fuel economy.
I too would have preferred a differential lock button.

Navigation:
This system works pretty well. I was most impressed with how fast it can find places on the map, very much unlike our older Garmin unit. While the car is not moving, you can swipe the screen to move it, but pinch gesture does not seem to work. However, there are zoom-in/out rotate buttons available. Once moving, fast zoom-in/out is available through the knob.
While driving on the highway, you can see if gas/food is available at the next exit along with the exit name. It shows up-coming overhead signs as well as junction view and lane view. While driving on city streets, you can see close by street names as well as the name of the street you are driving on. The speed limit is also displayed.
Overall, I am pretty pleased with the system. On the 3, you can get one as long as you have the 7" display by purchasing an SD card which I got new for $315.
What I would have changed in the system?
Made the navigation color scheme less gray and slightly more pleasant.
Perhaps have the music's volume be reduced automatically whenever the GPS speaks.

My son just bought the same car and I was going to get the SD card for him for Christmas. Just couriouse on how the updates work compared to the cx5?

I bet they got the 10% NVH reduction just by using quieter tires with little to no other insulation changes. Hey, they don't have to tell you how they did it just that they did! :)

Last edited:
Back