New 2016 CX-5 Questions and thoughts

LOVE the interior enhancements. Really digging a number of the exterior changes as well. Overall, it looks like a great refresher. Coming from a 14 or 15, I wouldn't consider it worthy of an upgrade. For 13 owners, such as myself, this is what I've been waiting for. Ready to get out of the 2.0l, quite honestly, and I've already mentioned trading up to my wife, and getting into a GT, like we should have done 3 years ago.

I don't think she will bite, though. She thinks the rear legroom is too cramped in the CX-5, so I think her next vehicle will be entirely different overall.

5 things I noticed that nobody has mentioned yet:

1 - one of the press photos shows a manual transmission AND the dual zone HVAC set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was an option before. Wonder what else will be available with the manual...

2 - the Blind Side Monitor (BSM) system has been updated to included sensing cross traffic when backing up

3 - looks like 2 USB ports and an AUX port in the space in front of the shifter. Wonder what is in the "new, bigger" armrest storage area?

4 - adaptive cruise control

5 - smart brake support (higher speeds than our current City brake support)

5 things I noticed that nobody has mentioned yet:

1 - one of the press photos shows a manual transmission AND the dual zone HVAC set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was an option before. Wonder what else will be available with the manual...

2 - the Blind Side Monitor (BSM) system has been updated to included sensing cross traffic when backing up

3 - looks like 2 USB ports and an AUX port in the space in front of the shifter. Wonder what is in the "new, bigger" armrest storage area?

4 - adaptive cruise control

5 - smart brake support (higher speeds than our current City brake support)

1 - I don't know but I believe manual will still be available only in the base trim.

2, 4 - This is exactly what the Mazda 3 has.

3 - Mazda 3 has 2 USB ports, which are able to charge my phone (which requires ~2A to charge), unlike the CX-5 USB port. It also has the AUX input.
If this 'same as Mazda 3' is any indication, then the storage cabby below the armrest is a little smaller. The CX-5's can easily contain a square tissue box where as the 3's cannot.

5 - Don't know.

I was hoping it would be easy to retrofit the new infotainment. Looks like it would be a nightmare or even impossible since you need the console with the electronic e brake. LED tails will probably go right in though. Adaptive cruise is nice. Wish I had that.

I would like to know the specifics for the manual as well. If it is only going to be in the lower trim levels, with limited color selection, then I'm set to go ahead and get a 2015. The Liquid Silver has grown on me and I can easily upgrade the infotainment in the '15. I would have liked to had better seat material, but I'll be OK with it.

If, however, a mid-level manual is offered, I am interested.

The press photos also have headlight washers, which the NA versions do not have (mandated overseas), which means those are generic photos. Don't get too excited about seeing a manual in the higher trims anytime soon. Like most manufacturers, it'll likely be completely off the build sheet in a year or two (minus the Speed-variants and MX-5).

I would like to know the specifics for the manual as well. If it is only going to be in the lower trim levels, with limited color selection, then I'm set to go ahead and get a 2015. The Liquid Silver has grown on me and I can easily upgrade the infotainment in the '15. I would have liked to had better seat material, but I'll be OK with it.

If, however, a mid-level manual is offered, I am interested.

I think more than likely they are going to retain the same powertrain layout and leave manual as only optional on sport base/FWD.

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/index.php?s=31676&item=1096

Assuming that the infortainment centers are compatible, it'd be nice if they'd swap out our 2015 and earlier onces with the new one, assuming the new one works better. Considering our infotainment centers don't seem to work at all with email and text. At least from what we're seeing in other threads, most aren't working.

More chrome does not work for me (above radio and glove box, around front vents)

I am a very big fan of piano black.

I like that they did get rid of chrome bars on both sides of the shifter.

Also, not sure if US model, but cargo light has been moved (added?) to the hatch.

Need to see Sport and Touring interiors w/out tech too.

Curious how much quieter will it be.

Last edited:
Assuming that the infortainment centers are compatible, it'd be nice if they'd swap out our 2015 and earlier onces with the new one, assuming the new one works better. Considering our infotainment centers don't seem to work at all with email and text. At least from what we're seeing in other threads, most aren't working.

Doubt that.

I'm wondering how long it will take before 2016's have large theft rating due to infotainment being ripped out ... and sold to earlier CX-5 owners who have suffered with poor infotainment. There will be a large demand.

Doubt that.

I'm wondering how long it will take before 2016's have large theft rating due to infotainment being ripped out ... and sold to earlier CX-5 owners who have suffered with poor infotainment. There will be a large demand.

I can't see that happening.
We're not talking a big selling model.
Demand wouldn't be great.

More chrome does not work for me (above radio and glove box, around front vents)

I am a very big fan of piano black.

I like that they did get rid of chrome bars on both sides of the shifter.
The same for me.
The materials will be configurable to some extent.

Curious how much quieter will it be.
They said noise reduced by 10%.

Doubt that.

There is hope. How much guts would have they have changed to do it? Actually, it might be possible that even the plugs might work, but nothing for certain until somebody takes it apart.

Also, I was not aware of adaptive cruise. This is very nice!

There is hope. How much guts would have they have changed to do it? Actually, it might be possible that even the plugs might work, but nothing for certain until somebody takes it apart.

Also, I was not aware of adaptive cruise. This is very nice!

I wonder if it is full range adaptive or above 20-25MPH? I have a version in my Infiniti that only works above 25MPH. I thought I would use it more than I actually have over the years. I have found it annoying to use as it wants to maintain a distance that is safe but perfect for people to dart in and take easily. The car then ends up over adjusting the space and makes for a busy ride. I'm sure systems have gotten better over the years so maybe this is a moot point with Mazda system. IMO: It doesn't make the ride as pleasant as one thinks. Don't get me wrong I wish my CX-5 had it.

I am sure you have all seen this video with self driving Q50. I had one as a loaner back in June and it will drive itself if you let it.

Last edited:
Amazing looking ride and the 2016 changes make the CX-5 the most impressive compact CUV on the market.
The new CX-3 is a great looking ride in a slightly smaller package.

Amazing looking ride and the 2016 changes make the CX-5 the most impressive compact CUV on the market.
The new CX-3 is a great looking ride in a slightly smaller package.

I agree!!! Wish I had some of the changes but still very happy with my '15. I'm sure the '17 & '18 will have features I want too. :)

We just brought home a baby brother to the CX-5, a Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback (yippy)
The 3 has very similar infotainment as will be found an in the 2016 CX-5. It also has the dual USB, new shape middle armrest. I can give below some of my first impressions from the system.

The screen:
Looks very good, larger than the one on the CX-5, responsive and touch/swipe capable. So far no issues with glare or sunlight.
While driving, the screen stops being touch capable, which means you have to use the knob (see below) or stop the car. For anything other than typing street address / business name, you can easily use the knob.

The knob + buttons next to the cup holders:
It is very easy to get used with them. It is place directly where your hand is normally rest, so it required no reach. I find myself mostly going from audio to navigation and there are shortcut buttons for both. Scroll (turning clockwise or counter clockwise), select and back actions are very easy to do. Some times you need side action, which is done by pushing the knob left or right. This is OK but less convenient than scroll.
If you are used to placing a purse or something over the cup holders, it might be pressing the mute/unmute button.

Music:
Here are the differences from the CX-5:
* There are 2 USB ports and they can charge my phone which requires ~2A to charge. Charging is not possible in the CX-5. I did not yet try if resume playback works.
* In addition to Pandora, there is Aha and Stitcher Radio available.
* Bluetooth playback had a few minor kinks with my Nexus 4 (still on Android Kitkat 4.4.4). It seems to work more reliably with the CX-5. Seems to work fine with Nexus 5 (Android Lollipop 5.0).
* It is fewer steps to switch audio source in the CX-5, e.g. from FM to Bluetooth. In the CX-5, it's either Audio / Bluetooth, or just Bluetooth if it was already on Audio. In the 3 it's Audio shortcut button, audio source, scroll to Bluetooth and select, or the last 3 if it was already on Audio.

Other features:
The 3 has HD Radio traffic map, which works even without navigation.
Fuel economy tracking app is available.
Compass is available if navigation is not installed. The compass only shows 8 directions, not the full 360 possibilities.
In the 3 Touring there is only ONE accessory power outlet, located inside the cubby below the armrest. It gets power even if the power switch is in the off position. So, if you were planning to use it to power something, you might need to disconnect it each time before you exit the vehicle. Pretty annoying.
However, since you have 2 USB ports, you could use one to power the thing you needed powering instead. These do turn off when the switch is off.

Navigation:
This system works pretty well. I was most impressed with how fast it can find places on the map, very much unlike our older Garmin unit. While the car is not moving, you can swipe the screen to move it, but pinch gesture does not seem to work. However, there are zoom-in/out rotate buttons available. Once moving, fast zoom-in/out is available through the knob.
While driving on the highway, you can see if gas/food is available at the next exit along with the exit name. It shows up-coming overhead signs as well as junction view and lane view. While driving on city streets, you can see close by street names as well as the name of the street you are driving on. The speed limit is also displayed.
Overall, I am pretty pleased with the system. On the 3, you can get one as long as you have the 7" display by purchasing an SD card which I got new for $315.
What I would have changed in the system?
Made the navigation color scheme less gray and slightly more pleasant.
Perhaps have the music's volume be reduced automatically whenever the GPS speaks.

Last edited:
Thanks for review! Only thing I would dispute is that CX-5 can't charge from USB. My iPhone charges fine from the USB port.

EDIT: Re-reading your post... I guess my phone doesn't have that kind of current draw.

Here are the differences from the CX-5:
* There are 2 USB ports and they can charge my phone which requires ~2A to charge. Charging is not possible in the CX-5. I did not yet try if resume playback works.

Re: Navigation, favorites can work in conjunction with your phone's contacts. You can add a favorite which is your friend's home address etc. Pretty sweet.

Back