New 2012 mazda5, Steering vibration?

I've taken my car up to around 90MPH on the highway and did not notice any vibrations with OEM Toyo tires. Though I must say, they're really noisy compared to my Yokohama AVIDs that I had on my VW Beetle prior. It's a trade off I think: harder the compound, less rolling resistance (slightly better fuel economy) and more noise. I think I might just go with Michelin Pilots next as I've always had luck with Michelin regular tires (not run flats though, they stink).

But anway, going back to your original question.. does the vibration gradually increase in frequency until you get up to certain speed at which case it is so fast that it's hardly noticeable?

Try to observe that, because if it is, then I'd say something is bent or not in good shape. Easiest thing to do is to remove the wheels and do the start lug nut re-fasten with the correct amount of torque on each. If you don't have a torque wrench, it's good time to get one. I found that sometimes, dealer overtighten the lug nuts which causes problems down the road.
Wanted to post it here, before taking it to the dealer, to see if this is "normal" or not.

Car is brand new with 229 miles on it.

At Idle, if I put my hand in the middle of the steering wheel (above the mazda symbol), I can feel the motor vibration coming through.

Driving - this is what concerns, on the highway at 70-80mph, I can feel a vibration through the whole steering wheel. Alignment seems ok, car is riding on Toyo 205/50/17.

THe vibration isn't as bad as like a warped rotor, but it is noticeable.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My point is that I have had 2 complete sets of tires and rims on the car, (factory 17" aluminum rims and Toyos, and brand new Mazda steel rims and 16" snow tires) and it has vibrated in the same way at the same speeds with both sets of tires and rims. I find it hard to believe that this issue could be pinned on either the tires or rims for that reason.

I'm at the dealers right now, so am crossing my fingers that they'll find something.

I've taken my car up to around 90MPH on the highway and did not notice any vibrations with OEM Toyo tires. Though I must say, they're really noisy compared to my Yokohama AVIDs that I had on my VW Beetle prior. It's a trade off I think: harder the compound, less rolling resistance (slightly better fuel economy) and more noise. I think I might just go with Michelin Pilots next as I've always had luck with Michelin regular tires (not run flats though, they stink).

But anway, going back to your original question.. does the vibration gradually increase in frequency until you get up to certain speed at which case it is so fast that it's hardly noticeable?

Try to observe that, because if it is, then I'd say something is bent or not in good shape. Easiest thing to do is to remove the wheels and do the start lug nut re-fasten with the correct amount of torque on each. If you don't have a torque wrench, it's good time to get one. I found that sometimes, dealer overtighten the lug nuts which causes problems down the road.

Well, I was at the dealer yesterday and they put my winter tires on a road force tire balancer and are telling me that 3 of the four tires are out of round. I had these on a 2010 VW Jetta TDI SW and never noticed any issues (they only have 1 winter and about 4,000 miles on them). Will look at getting some other tires.

I'll also have to get them to put the factory tires/rims on that balancer, since I was experiencing the same issue with them. I took a test vehicle out while I was waiting and it too was shaking at 55-60 mph, just not as bad as my car...

I have had my 5 for about a week and have not noticed any vibration at all.

Driving on the freeway with the cruise control set at 70mph, the wheel feels very smooth.

Seems like all the tires that are coming stock are bad...from my mazda source, in CA alone, 96 Mazda 5 that were sold (2012 model) came back for new tires, and vibration was solved.

Just thought I would post an update - when I switched off my new snow tires and went back to the stock Toyos, 1 wheel was out of balance and the other had a super high road force balance number, much worse than any of the snow tires they told me were "bad".

Looks like the tires and balancing from the factory are a real issue on the new 5's.

Well, I was at the dealer yesterday and they put my winter tires on a road force tire balancer and are telling me that 3 of the four tires are out of round. I had these on a 2010 VW Jetta TDI SW and never noticed any issues (they only have 1 winter and about 4,000 miles on them). Will look at getting some other tires.

I'll also have to get them to put the factory tires/rims on that balancer, since I was experiencing the same issue with them. I took a test vehicle out while I was waiting and it too was shaking at 55-60 mph, just not as bad as my car...

I've been going through the posts about a vibration in a 2012 Mazda5, I am having this same issue.

Vibration at 63-80 mph, worse at 72-75 speed.

Been to dealer twice now:

All Toyo tires!!!!

1. Replaced passenger rear tire, OEM would not balance. Same result - vibration BTW 5oz of weight on new rear wheel! That seems excessive!
2. Told to drive about 200 miles to seat tire - Same result - vibration
3. Drove another car off the lot - Same result - vibration
4. Replaced my wheels and tires from a vehicle just in - Same result - vibration

Service manager feels the vibration - in passenger seat, through the floor boards - said it's not correct but may be inherent to the vehicle!!! Not good!

He said he'll talk with the Mazda Rep. and get back to me Monday.

Thanks for listening, love the car - not the vibration! :) 600 miles on car. Actually carry two mountain bikes in the back standing up! Did that in a Dodge Caravan for 23 years, got tired of the unreliability issue with the Caravan, so now I have this, go figure!

Some reason the dealer has not gone to a different tire, talked about "feeling the road" - but the vibration!?!?!!?

Bob M <><

I had the same problems - steering wheels vibration and shimmy and the dealer could not keep the tires balanced. The dealer used their own in house Hunter Road Force balancer (best of the best) and also sent my wheels out to another shop. The result was the same - wheels would balance, but after driving the car for a mile or two, the wheels would be out of whack again.

The dealer ended up ordering 4 brand new rims and tires and the problem vanished. At first the dealer only order the tires, which did not fix the problem. It wasn't until the rims were replaced that the problem went away.

The service manager confirmed that my rims were not bent. His conclusion was that there must have been some air pockets in the rim from manufacturing, which were causing the rim to be out of balance.

A few others have had the same problems, and its difficult to get the dealer to fix, because the problem is so uncommon and its definitely odd that the problem can be blamed on defective rims, with no visual clues.

Could really use some help or ideas... the vibration issue is not going away. They just took 4 rims/tires from another car (just came in a week ago) and the vibration is still there! I drove a new car off the lot - same vibration! Service mgr rode with me, he felt it, so it's not me. He said he'd help me but can't redeign the car!!!

Dealer talked with a Mazda rep and the rep said if you're experiencing it in other cars it must be the way it was built!!! Are you kidding me???

They are going to swap rims/tires from a Mazda3 next Tuesday (different tire) see if that helps. They blame it on low profile tires, and that the Mazda5 is an inexpensive replacement for a $35K van, not meant to drive at 70MPH!!!

This is like a cruel joke, sure took the joy of buying a new away fast!!

Any ideas?

What the heck happened to Zoom Zoom?????

You have pretty much ruled out the wheels/tires. The dealer needs to look at brake disk, hub, and half-shaft runout. Also, I had a car that needed to have the motor mounts loosened, and the engine/trans reset to get half-shaft alignment back in spec to cure a wobble under load at highway speeds.

My wife's MZ5 is incredibly smooth at highway speeds especially considering the low profile tires and 4-banger, so there is still hope for a smooth highway ride.

Last edited:
tourquelover, are you running the stock Toyo tires? Boy, would love smooth! Was the "brake disk, hub, and half-shaft runout" done on a Mazda5???

Had my boss take it for a run at lunch - rear seats shaking like crazy, could feel it through his arms on steering wheel, door arm rest... all between 65-75mph, something's wrong!

Last edited:
I go back to the dealer on Thursday, they are going to mount a set of 16 inch wheels from a Mazda 3 with Bridgestone higher profile tires! This is my last hope. Mazda feels this vibration is part of the road feel being transmitted up through the steering! This stinks, brand new car and I drive at 65 MPH, vibration in steering, the drivers seat and the middle seats shaking all over the place!

I'll let you know how this works out :)

I have the stock Toyos. ~12k on them. No vibrations but they are very loud.

Anyone have any experience with Bridgestone RE760 sports? Pretty cheap at Costco.

First off, the Toyo Proxes are horrible tires. I'd rate them worse than Kumhos. I've had Potenzas in the past, good tires. However, I may be picking up a Winter Wheel set for the 5 also (already have Toyo winters for Speed3, all I can say is "WOW") so I may just get a LRR tire set to replace the Toyos. Leaning towards the Yokohama Ascends (LRR) for the warmer months.
ブレイク;6066862 said:
I have the stock Toyos. ~12k on them. No vibrations but they are very loud.

Anyone have any experience with Bridgestone RE760 sports? Pretty cheap at Costco.

Back