need tune ?

JaxJeff

:
2006 MS6
I am about to put a turbo manifold and catless downpipe on my 06 MS6.

My question is will I be ok adding these 2 things without a tune ?

I'm assuming yes but just wanted any advice or feedback anyone might have.

My existing mods are fujita cai custom 3" custom exhaust 2nd cat delete ,hks bov, h&r springs

A tune is strongly advised with these mods. At at the very least the car may experience diffiulties with boost control. In addition, these modifications are going to significantly alter the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Without tuning, i.e. increasing boost pressure, altering timing and fuel trims etc, power production is hampered. While these modifications may cause boost creep, the risk of running lean is much greater as expected boost targets will be exceded.
In short, there can be great difficulty in modifing Direct Injection Mazdaspeed cars withough tuning for these types of modifications as the mechanical consequences can skew expected load targets in the ECU.

Travis
COBB Tuning

thanks travis i had a feeling ,,,, just because well my friend actually did pop his motor about 2 weeks after puttin these on his car.

So whats the best way to go as far as ems ? will accessport be good or do i need to get a piggyback to be sure i can tune more specificately ?

Some say my opinion may be skewed, but a reflash system, like the AccessPORT is, in my humble opinion, the superior choice. An offset device simply does not have the ability to control engine parameters the way the factory ECU does. Because the AccessPORT uses the factory ECU to tune, the ECU's safety features are still in place and we are directly calibrating the ECU for a given set of modifications instead of trying to fool the ECU into behaving a certain way. Plus the AP has datalogging features, a dyno feature and even live data monitoring!

Travis
COBB Tuning

Some say my opinion may be skewed, but a reflash system, like the AccessPORT is, in my humble opinion, the superior choice. An offset device simply does not have the ability to control engine parameters the way the factory ECU does. Because the AccessPORT uses the factory ECU to tune, the ECU's safety features are still in place and we are directly calibrating the ECU for a given set of modifications instead of trying to fool the ECU into behaving a certain way. Plus the AP has datalogging features, a dyno feature and even live data monitoring!

Travis
COBB Tuning

I though cobb didn't have a map to support a catless dp? After some research i have found a few people having overboost issues with the k04 and a similar setup and running too lean, but couldn't the lack of fuel besolved with meth injection or cdfp internals or both? Basicaly the ? is what should be next? I believe meth would be the safest/cheapest step after the dp and mani install. then cdfp internals and then a tuning solution to see actual gains.

i think its clear that if you dont spend SERIOUS money AT THE SAME TIME as a SERIOUS tune for this car you are going to end up with some SERIOUS problems. dont boost the turbo until its rebuilt or you have every rod and oil and catalytic problems solved and not CHEATED. dont get a turbo kit without multiple thousands of dollars in extra manifold, internals, welding, tuning, wastegate, meth & water injection, motor mounts and diffs galore, suspension, because if your engine works, your diffs will break, and if your diffs work, your engine will pop. and if both work, you will miss a shift and blow the clutch and pop an axle out of place.

14K$ in mods i estimate. + 6K$ in professional work. this will get you to RS4+ status. thats what you have to do for THIS car. half of that will get you the same results in an STi or Evo, and half of THAT will get you a supercivic

The use of caps for certain words plays out in my mind as yelling or emphasis, ie a rant. Trust me I know what the outcome can be without massive amounts of money being spend which i agree if put into anyother vehicle produces boo coo's(redneckword) more power. Anyways back to the point that meth would be the safest/cheapest/easiest way to ensure no zoom zoom boom for jeff.

The use of caps for certain words plays out in my mind as yelling or emphasis, ie a rant. Trust me I know what the outcome can be without massive amounts of money being spend which i agree if put into anyother vehicle produces boo coo's(redneckword) more power. Anyways back to the point that meth would be the safest/cheapest/easiest way to ensure no zoom zoom boom for jeff.

meth is just one of many things that you have to do. thats the point of the caps, to put emphasis on the fact that you cant do one thing to prevent boom, you have to do all those things. or just stick to the simple, street legal mods. catastrophic failure isn't in my schedule, or within my bank capabilities. and i dont wish it upon anyone else. which is why i took the time to explain what you need to prevent the car from blowing up. its not a bolt on friendly car, everything pretty much can and should be tuned for.

you sure boo coo isnt a cajun pronunciation of the french word beaucoup meaning much or many?

meth is just one of many things that you have to do. thats the point of the caps, to put emphasis on the fact that you cant do one thing to prevent boom, you have to do all those things. or just stick to the simple, street legal mods. catastrophic failure isn't in my schedule, or within my bank capabilities. and i dont wish it upon anyone else. which is why i took the time to explain what you need to prevent the car from blowing up. its not a bolt on friendly car, everything pretty much can and should be tuned for.

you sure boo coo isnt a cajun pronunciation of the french word beaucoup meaning much or many?

I see what hes sayin Nick , im pretty much on that page already. You pretty much do have to do everything to be safe, if your tryin to make any real power.

I think im gonna just keep mine as is for now.

I love my car but i think i'll keep her a pretty fast DD and build somthin else ...... maybe a M3 !.... cough

Yea your trip to atl. next weekend isn;t gunna do anything but make tha german engineering itch worse. Just trade your brother for a week and see if its everything your hopin it is.

and "you sure boo coo isnt a cajun pronunciation of the french word beaucoup meaning much or many?" yea you got it, just something you usually hear with a southern draw around here.

imagine what an audi s4 can do with TWO ko4s lol.

Thats what wet dreams are made of. We had an A4 in for service today and it was sweet. Interior quality top notch, handles like its on rails, and the 2.0T even with the auto (flawless shifting by the way) gets up and goes.

cool some jacksonville guys... i need to meet up with everyone once i pick mine up...

the accessport was always a great choice for tuning and doug from topspeed comes down regularly... amazing AP tuner... check with bill in parts @ subaru of jacksonville to find out about his next visit... they have an AWD dyno in the shop and everything

i think its clear that if you dont spend SERIOUS money AT THE SAME TIME as a SERIOUS tune for this car you are going to end up with some SERIOUS problems. dont boost the turbo until its rebuilt or you have every rod and oil and catalytic problems solved and not CHEATED. dont get a turbo kit without multiple thousands of dollars in extra manifold, internals, welding, tuning, wastegate, meth & water injection, motor mounts and diffs galore, suspension, because if your engine works, your diffs will break, and if your diffs work, your engine will pop. and if both work, you will miss a shift and blow the clutch and pop an axle out of place.

14K$ in mods i estimate. + 6K$ in professional work. this will get you to RS4+ status. thats what you have to do for THIS car. half of that will get you the same results in an STi or Evo, and half of THAT will get you a supercivic

This seems a little overkill. We have seen complete bolt on cars, that is cars with every single bolt on you can do, perform very well without all the over the top modifications you list here.

The simple fact of the matter is that tuning is key. The OTS maps were never meant to be a cure all for every modification under the sun, but rather give the average enthusiast a good, safe map that will give him more power without too much hassle.

There are those of us who more power is never enough, and for those individuals a custom tune is a must. Even if you don't plan on building your car to the limit of its capabilities, a custom tune is very rewarding in the performance department as the tuner can be more aggressive with boost, timing and fueling.

Simple bolt-ons can get these cars around 290whp and ~320wtq without causing damage to the drivetrain, engine or turbocharger.

IF you drive hard (track, drag etc) things can and will break. But that goes for any performance car that is driven hard in a "performance" manner. It all depends on how you drive the car and how hard you want to push the limit.

Travis
COBB Tuning

that list is really to explain what you need above and beyond bolt ons ie a turbo kit, which i stated in that paragraph, i dont think its a mystery that mazdaspeeds can get to that 290hp level, with those things i listed, 400+hp would be the goal. "RS4 status". i know it didnt pertain to his manifold question but i was merely beating the point in that without a tune and safety measures, the car will have catastrophic failure eventually. apparently even after a tune i've heard of speeds blowing up on the drive home from the shop while the ECU was still relearning.

Back