need some cam info

zmepro

:
Protege5
where can i get cams (either custom made or MSP (the jdm and msp) ones)

note, NA and turbo application, and mild ( i don't want a rough idle or anything )

how do you spec what you want on the cams and how much would it cost to get them custom made (parts and labor)

i found out the crower www.crower.com does regrinds (does this mean you provide specs?) if so, where would i get some stock cams and how would i know what specs to use?

yikes about 400 for both! i figure i could get stock cams for 75$ or less and the labor a crower claims to be 160$ for both to get regrinded (big price diff) i could even have them ground the the same specs as msp, hmmmmm

I could be wrong here, but It would help a whole lot to get MSP spec cams unless you have an MSP spec eengine (turbo)

The cams are exactly the same. "Mazdaspeed" cams like the ones at SRMotorsports and Corksport are MAZDASPEED J-spec BRAND cams. They are not the same as the cams in the MSP(US) motor. The production cams are the same as the ones in the P5.

Britt

yea i know all that, let me clarifiy for all you people who think im talking about something im not.

im not looking for: the cams that come in the msp

i am looking for the jspec intake and the mazdaspeed exhuast cam

ok. now i'm confused.
are you saying that the cams from SRmotorsports are called "mazdaspeed j-spec" intake/exhaust cams as in they're from the japanese spec-engine?
and that the cams on both the usdm p5 and msp are the same as each other.

cuz that's how i understand it.

and zmepro, i like your idea of buying stock cams and getting crower to regrind them. i wouldn't know the first thing to specify about specific numbers for the custom cams ... i guess going with sr motorsports would be the easier but more expensive route.

just dont trust what shaneracing write...there is NO SUCH THING as a mazdaspeed intake cam.

do what i did, get blanks and get them ground. i have been able to fit the following onto the blanks (intake and exhaust)

Lift @ 0.006" 0.351
Duration @ 0.006" 272deg
Duration @ 0.050" 226deg

I havent intstalled them yet, but will be put in my car in 2 weekends time (I am taking my head off this weekend and monday to have ported)

that sort of cam spec should be pretty hot for the 9.1:1 comp you yanks have in NA form and will be very good in turbo trim. I get more benefit out of those cams because the australian P5 comes with 9.7:1 comp ratio stock.

hope this helps

where did u get the blanks, how much did they cost and how much did the custom job cost and where did you get it and what do those numbers mean ?

i bought the blanks through mitch at protege5online.com.

i cant remember what they costs, i think they were like $140usd for both or something like that.

the custom grind has ended up costing me $300aud (about $210usd) because mitch send me two intake cams rather than one of each...

those numbers and what they mean :

lift - that's how many inches (0.351") the cam will lift the valve off the seat if there were no clearance between the cam and the valve. we have about 0.010" clearance, so in theory, the cam will lift the valve 0.341" at it's maximum point.

duration - that's how long in degrees the valve stays open for. the @0.006" is how long the cam is open after the valve has lifted 0.006". @0.050" is how long the cam stays open in degrees once the valve has raised 0.050" off the seat.

does that explain it well???

to put things into perspective, the j-spec cams are :

intake : lift 0.344", duration 210deg @ 0.050"
exhaust (same as stock) : lift 0.323", duration 200deg @ 0.050"

so as you can see the cams i am getting are quite a bit bigger than even the j-spec stuff

twilightprotege said:
just dont trust what shaneracing write...there is NO SUCH THING as a mazdaspeed intake cam.

yeah, but the cams themselves are perfectly fine right? and they are a reputable company........ it's just the name they gave their cams to lure people to buy them.... but i assume the product itself is still good.

i'm sure the products are fine....as soon as i see a company with false advertising, it makes me think what else are they doing dodgy....

you aussies are all suspicious... heheheheh... j/k! :D

i've never been to brisbane myself....... just sydney, melbourne, and perth.... hated perth.... damn flies up my nose. got thrown off a horse and dragged around for a bit.... :( but that's where my cousins are.

almost migrated to melbourne from singapore but ended up in vancouver, bc, canada 14 years ago.....

I think to ease confusion, refer to them as Mazdaspeed and J-spec cams as opposed to MSP cams. MSP has become the common acronym for the Mazdaspeed Protege. That is what is confusing people.

Britt

Back