Need more interior light

monsta

Contributor
:
06 5 Touring, 07 Sport
The interior lighting is quite lacking in these cars.

First you can't even control them all at once. (hand) Anyone modded this so that a switch can control all the interior lights?

I'd like to add footwell lights, lights in the doors (puddle lamps) and some more overhead lighting. I just need some ideas. Anyone got suggestions?

Adding more light shouldn't really be that hard. The trick would be running the switch to the front fascia and keeping everything in parallel so that if one bulb burns out the whole car won't go dark. I have been thinking about adding a set of LED lights to the inside of the B pillar shining back towards the second row. Running a fish tape from the overhead light to the top of the B pillar should be pretty easy, so I could just wire them together, and when the sliders are opened I would have more light back there. With LED bulbs in the fixtures the current draw should be low enough to avoid blowing the fuse even with two additional fixtures in the circuit. I would use the second row light fixtures from a 2001-2003 VW Jetta Wagon they are low profile, have a built in on-off switch, work well with LEDs and can be had for about fifteen bucks each from ECSTuning.com. Not that I have thought much about this you understand....

if you are interested in foot well lights, check out the JDM Mazda5. In their web-tune site they pics of foot-well and accent lighting. Unfortunately I have no way of posting pics right now, but it looks like an available option, just have to find a supplier.

I bought a package of five LEDs (drill a hole, pop 'em in) for $4 at Pepboys recently and am going to install them in the recessed area just above the power outlet in the front in hopes of illuminating the cup holder area. It's too dark down there.

I just have to figure out how to remove that curved panel that the power outlet is in. I figured I'll tap the LEDs into the power outlet wire.

I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the interior with LED. Both map lights, the overhead over the second row and the cargo light all have LED bulbs in them now. I got them from SuperbrightLEDs.com, the four element type and they work great. 5phreak, in order to remove the plastic that includes the CLA you have to remove the shifter trim first by unscrewing the shift knob and yanking the trim panel up. Then you will see four screws in the top of the panel. Next remove the left and right kick panels, they just yank off, you'll see the part line if you look closely at the base of the console. Lastly there are two screws in the bottom of the console that are hidden by the kick panels one on each side. Once those are out the only thing holding the panel in is the power wire for the CLA. Hope that helps and good luck!

...5phreak, in order to remove the plastic that includes the CLA you have to remove the shifter trim first by unscrewing the shift knob and yanking the trim panel up. Then you will see four screws in the top of the panel. Next remove the left and right kick panels, they just yank off, you'll see the part line if you look closely at the base of the console. Lastly there are two screws in the bottom of the console that are hidden by the kick panels one on each side. Once those are out the only thing holding the panel in is the power wire for the CLA. Hope that helps and good luck!

Dude you are awesome. Thanks so much for that info. I'm printing it and hopefully I can have at it this Sunday weather permitting.

Slvrsleeper:

Went to SuperbrightLEDs.com and got lost.

Can you give size/type/PN of LEDs you installed in detail?

Last edited:
They have a very good cross-over list attached to the website that is what I used. However; I got the 194 wedge-base style bulbs for the map lights (sorry I threw out the package with the part #) The rear over head and cargo lamps are #3022-W4 Festoon bulbs (their #) They come in all manner of colors but I went with white as I find the other colors a bit too dim. Hope that helps

i think that all of the JDM mazdas have floor lighting. could be wrong, but the familia did. if so, that should be a regular conversion with these.

i put two LEDs in the upper area of the pocket for the front power outlet to light up the drink holders in the center console. worked very well, except the right LED was more over the passenger floor because the pocket itself is off center. So I put a piece of electrical tape over it (hack!). Here's pics of them wired in and what they look like in daylight and night. I am going to replace the right LED with a pushbutton switch for the remaining LED.

Attachments

• LEDinstalled.jpg
    LEDinstalled.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 196
  • LEDday.jpg
    LEDday.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 200
  • LEDnight.jpg
    LEDnight.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 199
They have a very good cross-over list attached to the website that is what I used. However; I got the 194 wedge-base style bulbs for the map lights (sorry I threw out the package with the part #) The rear over head and cargo lamps are #3022-W4 Festoon bulbs (their #) They come in all manner of colors but I went with white as I find the other colors a bit too dim. Hope that helps

Slvrsleeper, how do the LEDs work with the 'fade-out' feature of the 5's overhead lights? Do they dim out the way the OEM ones do a little after you close the last door, or what happens? Does fading cause any life issues w/LEDs?

(humpleg)The interior lights do still fade out, just a little bit faster than they did with the incandescent bulbs. As far as I know LEDs suffer no ill effects from being "dimmed". 5phreak, that is way cool! You have inspired me to run out and copy your innovation.

^^ cool, but get some green LEDs to match the interior lighting. i would have done it but the blue ones were there in front of me and on sale.

Back