need help with suspension diagnosis

MaxPower

:
'01 Pro ES
My car has the infamous clunking coming from the rear while going over rough roads. The endlinks and rear swaybar bushings have been replaced with new OEM parts and the problem persists.

My question is: what's the next step? I think it's to replace the upper strut mounts with new P5 strut mounts and see if the clunk goes away. Is there a way to diagnose the condition of the upper strut mounts without replacing them?

No, springs are stock OEM. Trying to figure out if it could be anything besides the upper strut mounts. Car does have 148k on it.

Hmm... it's tough to localize. It can sound like it's coming from the right rear upper strut mount. Other times (over very rough pavement), the whole rear end starts clunking from seemingly everywhere.

So, my next step will be to replace the upper strut mounts and see if that helps. If it doesn't, could replacing the lateral or trailing links help? Besides those, I can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

Well, I would try to disconnect the sway bar endlinks just to eliminate that as a possible cause. I would also remove the rear deck and maybe have someone ride in the back seat while you drive to see if they can pinpoint where the noise is coming from

most likely your strut mounts.

noises usually come as soo.

endlinks,
sway bar bushings,
strut mounts

Thanks for the help! I'll work on that when I get time next weekend. The clunking's been driving me crazy for over a year and I'm not willing to keep paying a mechanic to use trial and error to fix it.

I've been trying to find it too.

Newbie trying to find resolution of right rear clunk. Sway bar has been removed as well as links. Sounds like upper strut mount, but want to find out how to properly diagnose and repair. BTW 2001 Protege 4 door...

It could be the struts. My car made also made all kinds of noises on rough roads. I replaced all 4 struts and it all went away.

Back