need help pulling transmission

dan28001

:
2003 mazda protege lx
i have 2003 mazda protege lx automatic transmission lost 4th gear and overdrive slips going into 3rd. i changed solenoids but did not help. ive decided to replace the tranny but i need to know how to take it out. please help im a pizza delivery driver on the verge of loosing my job.

You need to obtain the shop manual first. Search for "2002_Protege_Workshop_Manual.pdf". Once you have that, go to section 05-17-31. If the urgency is severe, I recommend buying or borrowing a second car to tie you over as you are working the project. Its inevitable that some trips will need to be made to the junkyard or store during the course of the repair. This will take at least two weekends if this is your first time. Nevertheless, if you complete this repair, there is probably more $ to be made fixing cars than delivering pizza's. Turning two broken proteges a month can yield $2000 profit.

You will have to put the front of the car on jacks, remove the axles, remove the wiring, radiator, and plastic hoses, remove the engine with the transmission, then separate the transmission from the motor. Its just a large amount of physical work. You will need to invest about $300 in tools if you don't already have them. Use Harbor Freight or other cheap supplier.

You must have the following:
-Flat, privately owned space to work on with good weather or a garage.
-Engine crane and load leveler bar
-3/4 inch socket breaker bar and massive 34mm(?) socket for axle nut removal
-1/2 inch socket set 21mm, 19mm 17mm, 14mm deep, various extensions, also need open ended wrenches and a breaker bar or two
-3/8 inch socket set 10mm, 12mm, various extensions, likewise open ended wrenches
-8mm(?) alen wrench for caliper pins
-PB blaster for corroded parts
-collection containers for antifreeze and ATF fluid
-an automotive pry bar or "super bar"
-hammer, 2/4 wooden blocks, large flat head screwdrivers

There are several design flaws with the protege. One is the CV axle split ring on the driver side. You may need to split the CV axle at the boot, and repackage it with new grease if it does not come out with the pry bar. I have never successfully done this without having to split the axle at the boot. Reinstalling the axle might also require the boot to be split.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. i think it might be the rear cover. it acts like theres not enough pressure to make it shift into 4th. it tries but it doesnt.

Back