Navigation Real Time Traffic -- How Good is it?

tex2670

Grand Poobah
Taking a trip tomorrow, and I'm wondering how well the real time traffic works on the CX-9 nav. It's the first time I've really been able to use this function--I'm not sure how well I can rely on it. I also am wondering, on the highway, how far in advance it warns you about traffic problems ahead (if it's, say, 2 miles on the highway, I really can't take an alternate route at that point).

Thanks.

You cannot rely on it, so do not. It tells me often there are problems and there are not any at all.

This kind of "Real-Time Traffic" is not really "real-time" at all.
It relies on FM signal broadcast by local authorities. Usually a delay of 15 mins is normal.
This critical delay could make it useless, whether it is too late, or gives you false alarms (accidents removed).
I had had Navigon GPS that provided the same info. Not as useful as I expected.

Real-time traffic info from internet (your smartPhone) is more up-to-date.

So it doesn't use the satellite service traffic?

My Dad's 2008 Jeep uses satellite traffic info for his nav and it works very well.

It seems to be using FM, not Satellite. I have compared my FM Garmin with the NAV of my 2011, and both shows the same.

In South Florida Area seems to be working decently. As example, Last week heading to airport I disregard traffic it signaled for me on the 75.... and I wasted 10 minutes trying to run away of heavy traffic.

Before I got my Mazda, I saw a terrible traffic accident to happen ahead of me, traffic stopped totally, and the Garmin (via FM) registered within the next 10 minutes... so, definitively is not real time, but - for me - is helpful, considering it is free

It seems to be using FM, not Satellite. I have compared my FM Garmin with the NAV of my 2011, and both shows the same.

In South Florida Area seems to be working decently. As example, Last week heading to airport I disregard traffic it signaled for me on the 75.... and I wasted 10 minutes trying to run away of heavy traffic.

Before I got my Mazda, I saw a terrible traffic accident to happen ahead of me, traffic stopped totally, and the Garmin (via FM) registered within the next 10 minutes... so, definitively is not real time, but - for me - is helpful, considering it is free

Ok--I wasn't expecting instant traffic update, in true "real time". Even the news radio traffic reports on the "twos" aren't that up to date. I was just wondering if it tells you on the highway that there's a reported jam 10 miles ahead, or 5 or 1--once you are one mile away from a jam on the highway, it's probably too late to re-route. On my recent trip, I got one 5-mile warning, but the others were 2-miles or under...however, most were nothing.

Exactly, lots of warnings when most of the time there is not a problem, like I said you cannot count on it to be accurate.

Back