MZ3 to MZ5 suspension??????

:
07' Mazda5 Touring
I havent started researching this yet and would rather ask you guys.

How identical is the MZ3 suspension to the MZ5? I know that Car and Driver did a MS3 to MZ5 swap, but are they a direct swap or is there modding to be done? I'm talking springs, swaybars, etc........

Let's have at it......and thanks in advance......

I think it's nearly the same.

I know the Mz5 shares so many of the underpinnings as the Mz5... and we put a MSpeed3 suspension in our M5 - so that was a direct swap too.

m.

while the suspensions are interchangable, they are not 100% the same. the dampers are valved slightly different, and the springs have slightly different rates and lengths. the Mazda5 has a much heavier rear end.

that being said, you can use any damper (strut/shock) on the 5 that was designed for the 3/Speed3, but maybe not every spring set. if you decide to go with coilovers, any coilover set will work just fine.

make sure you get some sort of camber correction swing arm for the rear if you plan on doing any kind of lowering. the suspension geometry does not take well to anything lower than stock.

Hmmm...re: camber correction control arms with lowered / lowering springs.

So: these folks who are using H&S springs to get 1.5 in of drop or so, it's also necessary to implement a camber correcting / adjustable control arm as well?

I haven't been under mine yet, is it that the wheels go negative camber when the lowered/shorter springs are used, and the adjustable control arms put the wheels back towards neutral?

the spring rates are much heavier on the 5 because of the extra weight, the MS3 suspension on the 5 will cause the 5 to sag some in the rear

Ahh, so scratch the MS3 springs. Thanks for the info on the springs. Not really looking to get a sagging rear end.

Back