My Unichip Trouble

Hey JDM Sam, I'm just searching through your website and I notice that you have a warning post under the BKR7EIX-11 spark plugs saying that the car will foul out when driven normally. I'm using IZFR6F-11 I bought off the NGK website. They are the best ones they have, can this be a reason for my headaches???

JDM Sam said:
Wish I could but it doesn't work that way. He has to return it to the dealer he purchased it from for any warranty work or to Unichip directly.
This is why they ask you where you purchased it from in the warranty card.

This is one way I usually take care of my customers better than if you purchased elsewhere because I work directly with the manufacturer.

No worries, I'm taking it to the shop I purchased it at on the 29th. Hopefully they can figure something out. Thanks for the help anyways:)

onequickmsp said:
Hey JDM Sam, I'm just searching through your website and I notice that you have a warning post under the BKR7EIX-11 spark plugs saying that the car will foul out when driven normally. I'm using IZFR6F-11 I bought off the NGK website. They are the best ones they have, can this be a reason for my headaches???
no, if you are cutting out and getting a CEL and it runs fine with the unichip out, you are having the same problem Titanium99 had, and it was the harness.

I recommend running the ZFR7F V-power if you up the boost 10 or higher consistently.

In heat range 7 NGK only offers Iridium in BKR7EIX currently. Run Iridium if you are tuned and tuned well.

Last edited:
I have had my Unichip in for a while now, and it is running like complete ass. On stock boost and Map A, it hesitates very bad like it is pulling a lot of timing and cuts out sometimes as early as 4500 RPMs. It is noticeably slower than it was just running off the stock ecu. I am wondering if my mods that are on the car now are having an effect on the Unichip. I still have the factory settings in the chip, so I should probably get it tuned. My current mods are Perrin FMIC, AEM CAI, 626 IM, 2.5 in open downpipe, and running off of the stock wastegate which puts me at 8 PSI. Any ideas? I put the Modis from work on my car today and have no codes and no knock activity.

your open downpipe could be the reason it feels slow. I tried running open downpipe with a 3in dp and it only made my car louder. No backpressure. Everyone tells me the trubo alone should make enough backpressure. Yea, well I tested it and found that backpressure is neccesary. my exhaust stops at the front doors though, maybe with a full exhaust system and muffler no cats is fine.

I was implying that after the Unichip install my car became noticeably slower. I am running open downpipe right now because I just converted my p5 to a Mazdaspeed a little while ago. I have not had the time to finish making my exhaust. I don't quite understand your comment about backpressure on a turbo car though. Yeah on the stock 25r I can see 3in open downpipe a little overkill.

Last night I went out to pull my car down my driveway to park it which is about a total of 30 ft. The car is missing so bad now and is pig ass rich. The exhaust was so bad that it was burning my eyes. I am going to take this crap out and run it back on the stocker to see if that fixes the problems.

Back