My review on Cobb AP.

nig3

Ok this looks like a decent quality piece of equipment, easy to use, looks great! My mods before the reflash are Corksport DP, Mid pipe, Custom CAI, TXS boost controller at 18 psi and motor mounts. I went ahead and saved my stock map incase i gotta make it stock again and then i installed the stage 2sf revision 1.0. at firs the car ran weird as expected. i remember on my WRX the cobb reflash to a good 30min-1 hour of driving for it to learn everything. Anyway after driving and cruising on the highway for 45min-1hour the car was noticeably getting fast and faster. 3rd gear and up fell stronger and more consistent, the boost holds more steady than the ABC i was using. BTW i turned my boost controller off before he reflash. So far for the short amount of time i have driving it the car is noticably strionger in 3rd and up but 1st and second are noticeably down on power. Im not sure if that was done on purpose to help with wheel spin or what? So it works but im not happy about 1st and second anymore, Could be that im using a different intake or maybe it needs a little more time to learn or i can use my boost contriller to get an exra pound or two in first and second.

could be the diferent intake and all of that, it wasnt designed to work with any intake other than the cobb intake. What do your air to fuel ratios look like/
Cobb is working on new maps that help a lot with 1st and 2nd, makes it into a completely different car. they should come out in the next week or two.

but 1st and second are noticeably down on power. Im not sure if that was done on purpose to help with wheel spin or what?.

i think you hit the nail on the head. i seriously doubt using a different intake with the accessport is going to markedly reduce performance.

could be the diferent intake and all of that, it wasnt designed to work with any intake other than the cobb intake. What do your air to fuel ratios look like/
Cobb is working on new maps that help a lot with 1st and 2nd, makes it into a completely different car. they should come out in the next week or two.

Yep, new maps are coming and so far the feedback has been very positive. Maybe you (nig3) can talk to them and see if they can send you one of their test maps.

i really dont want to have to loose my intake, it made a big difference when i installed it. Please Cobb help a brother out!

they cant really make a map for one persons custom intake. Have you considered possibly picking up theirs?
The new maps are simply amazing from what I've read...

i know but i cant see spending $180 on a piece of silicone tube, plastic velocity stack and an airfilter. my intake is actually quite nice and made good power, it will be hard to part with it, i guess it wont be a big deal to switch back to stock airbox to see what happens. arent people reporting the same issues im having with the stock intake as well?

i know but i cant see spending $180 on a piece of silicone tube, plastic velocity stack and an airfilter. my intake is actually quite nice and made good power, it will be hard to part with it, i guess it wont be a big deal to switch back to stock airbox to see what happens. arent people reporting the same issues im having with the stock intake as well?

You won't spend $180 on an intake but you'll spend $700 on something that you lose power in 1st and 2nd gear with? Cobb has stated NUMEROUS times the biggest restriction on this car is the intake, and their maps are designed to only work with THEIR intake. Keep the AP, buy a cobb intake, and reap the benefits of the new maps this week and you won't regret buying the intake. When you made your custom intake did you model out the airflow using a finite element analysis? choose the optimum diameter? use an airflow straightener?

Cobb told me that its most likely not my intake causing the slightly lower power in 1st and 2nd, its the programing. they said that it was done purposely to control the wheel spin issue. but they have gotten complaints and are releasing an updated map that brings full power back to 1st and 2nd. They said it should be available for download tonight or tomorrow!!!! either way im getting the car dynoed tomorrow night so i can monitor the afrs, if they are rich enough still i might even add a pound or two of boost,, WOOO HHOOO!!!!

Cobb told me that its most likely not my intake causing the slightly lower power in 1st and 2nd, its the programing. they said that it was done purposely to control the wheel spin issue. but they have gotten complaints and are releasing an updated map that brings full power back to 1st and 2nd. They said it should be available for download tonight or tomorrow!!!! either way im getting the car dynoed tomorrow night so i can monitor the afrs, if they are rich enough still i might even add a pound or two of boost,, WOOO HHOOO!!!!

heres a trick upload the stage1 not stage1+ and u will get a surprise.... yes more boost.... but keep an eye on ur afr's mine look fine but u will get boost cut in 4th gear... i was thinkin of installing my bcd but since a new map is coming im going to wait... but ya when u put it on the dyno do a stage1 pull i would like to see the results.. my car with the that map will hold 18 to 19 psi but u hit boost cut in 4th.

I have the new beta maps and they make a huge difference in the lower gears while also adding more power in 3rd and 4th. My car hauls ass with the new beta ms cai map.

you have an AP and still get boost cut ?? WTF is up with that ? i still think a flash tool is the way to go, but i REFUSE to buy it in its "one size fits all" trim. once it has user/shop tunability i will consider it. i think my car is in need of a tune at this point. i am modded like crazy, and the car just doesnt move like it should. if i owned an SRT4 with all the same mods, i would be running 11's on my slicks !!

Ok, heres the deal so far, i went and dynoed my car with the revised stage 2sf 91 v101 map and apparently my custom intake was making me loose tons of power, 30whp and 40wtq to be exact LOL! But after switching back to my modded stock airbox and using the revised stage 2 91 v101 map the car screams like a banshee! actually hitting 21-22psi with no knock at all and holds 17-18psi to redline! Im amazed and cant wait to re-dyno the new results!.

Ok, heres the deal so far, i went and dynoed my car with the revised stage 2sf 91 v101 map and apparently my custom intake was making me loose tons of power, 30whp and 40wtq to be exact LOL! But after switching back to my modded stock airbox and using the revised stage 2 91 v101 map the car screams like a banshee! actually hitting 21-22psi with no knock at all and holds 17-18psi to redline! Im amazed and cant wait to re-dyno the new results!.

Casey? lol

Ok I got my car dynod I was running the stage 2 map+ im running MS cai, cp-e down pipe and highflow cat, ms cbe, turbosmart bov 50/50 and i put down like 210 whp and 236 torque on a mustang dyno.. SO i dont know if it was his dyno or what.. SO then i uninstall the map and ran 236 whp and 256 torque..those were my only pulls. So then i took it for a drive.. With it uninstalled it was ok felt kinda fast.. Then i switched to stage 2 map not the plus and my car was pulling really fast.. But i dont know if i wanna go back to those guys cause with my parts that i have with out the ap i should be higher then 236 whp.. ??? Please give me some feedback

Ok I got my car dynod I was running the stage 2 map+ im running MS cai, cp-e down pipe and highflow cat, ms cbe, turbosmart bov 50/50 and i put down like 210 whp and 236 torque on a mustang dyno.. SO i dont know if it was his dyno or what.. SO then i uninstall the map and ran 236 whp and 256 torque..those were my only pulls. So then i took it for a drive.. With it uninstalled it was ok felt kinda fast.. Then i switched to stage 2 map not the plus and my car was pulling really fast.. But i dont know if i wanna go back to those guys cause with my parts that i have with out the ap i should be higher then 236 whp.. ??? Please give me some feedback

You need to run the St2+ map for awhile (a couple of days) before you dyno to really get the full effect. Takes awhile for the ECU to adapt. St2 will risk running too lean since it assumes A LOT less air is coming in. You need to follow the Cobb forum threads on the updated and MS-CAI specific beta tunes being developed as well. For some reason, the v1.00 tunes that were released with the units are apparently very rich and leaner tunes are being tested for release in the near future.

The short answer is to run the map using the parts specified by Cobb. Ditching the BOV would be my first step.

I was running the stage 2 plus for a couple days before i did the dyno but i really think the dyno was reading off.. Cause with my parts and the ap uninstalled i ran 236whp that seemed low.. SHould i just put the stock bov on??? and switch it back to stage 2+.. or uninstall it unitill i get the map for the ms cai??

Back