My HPFP nightmare! Low idle pressure despite 3 pumps!

dougefresh_

:
2006 MS6 wwp
In a nutshell, I'm not holding idle pressure well (200-300 PSI) and haven't since my 1st hpfp failed about a month ago, despite 2 other pumps.

Here's the timeline on the pumps:

1. Got a PTP pump (pre-assembled), and my old mechanic installed it. I was careful about the break in period, and it worked great.
*Idle Pressure 400-500 PSI
*WOT Pressure 1,700-1,900 PSI

2. No problems until two months later when I was tuning my ebcs. I was taking a WOT log, and I caught both the ebcs dying, and the fuel pump failing mid-shift.
*Idle Pressure now only ~175-300
*Not holding WOT pressure

3. Didn't drive it much at all, and sent in pump #1 for a replacement. When I went to install pump #2, I was wiping down inside where the pump attaches, and I pulled the cam follower out a bit. I had no clue it was in there, and I just looked at it very briefly, and put it back in. I lubed the inside, and installed pump #2.

4. I performed the (new) break in procedures. I went to drive it, and I got fuel cut almost immediately at 4K... PSI dropped to 50. I pulled over, let it idle, slowly held revs, and repeated. I started driving and it cut again. Pulled over, repeated the idle/revving and then continued to drive with NO problems. However, my idle pressure was all low. 200-300 PSI.
*Idle Pressure ~175-300 PSI
*WOT pressure seemed fine, but when I called they said the low pressure isn't right, and I sent that pump in for my $ back and a stock pump

5. I installed the stock pump last night (which does not require a break in period), but I let it idle for 5 min-10 mins anyways (no smoke at least, lol). After the car warmed up, idle pressure is low again ~200-300 PSI. It holds presssure great cruising and up to ~1,650 PSI under WOT (this is a stock pump). It only holds ~300 PSI under engine breaking, which was the same with the other bad pumps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked to my mechanic about this, and he said the first fuel pump that seized (quit mid-shift at WOT) could have caused the cam lobe to whack the cam follower, and cause damage to both. He said to take off the pump, and look in there and check everything out. I did that after work, and took a bunch of pics, and a vid.

The cam follower definitely has a tiny nick in it, but I'm not 100% on the cam lobe. It doesn't look good though. Here's a bunch of pics of the follower, lobe, and a vid of the lobe.

Follower still in
CamFollowerstillin.jpg

Inside follower:

InsideCamFollower.jpg

Nick side of follower facing lobe :(

NickinCamfollower1.jpg

NickinCamfollower2.jpg

Cam Lobe Pics:

Camlobenicked.jpg

Camlobelooksokhere.jpg

CamLobe4.jpg

CamLobe3.jpg

CamLobe2.jpg

CamLobe1.jpg

And short vid of lobe (in HD if that helps):

YouTube - M4H00826.MP4

What do you guys think? Is the cam ruined or is it just the cam follower or both? Can I drive the car, or is it going to cause more damage? This fuel pump rattles also. It did when I first put it in yesterday, and again today after I put it back together. The key is my idle fuel pressure has been low ever since that first pump died. It has never recovered :(

this makes me not want to upgrade my fuel pump. I see countless threads were aftermarket / reworked fuel pumps are having all sorts of issues.

i have no answers to your questions though.

Just buy the CPE pump... it costs more, but no one has problems with them. Plus, they're pre-broken in, so you know what the performance is. I made the mistake of getting the PTP pump after several people said it was "great." It's a POS that can cause serious damage to your car, and I would stay the hell away from them.

i have a cpe pump it has NEVER failed, all my pressures are right on target.

Idle pressure sits anywhere from 400-430psi. WOT is 1650+ all the time. I would never buy from PTP

IMO this is one of those parts that you would rather spend more money on and make sure its right. sorry to hear about your issues

i have a cpe pump it has NEVER failed, all my pressures are right on target.

Idle pressure sits anywhere from 400-430psi. WOT is 1650+ all the time. I would never buy from PTP

IMO this is one of those parts that you would rather spend more money on and make sure its right. sorry to hear about your issues

i agree. As long as my stocker is holding pressure im going to stick with it :)

i agree. As long as my stocker is holding pressure im going to stick with it :)

DO you occasionally log fuel pressure while WOT? You may not know it is dropping and it won't be felt SOTP until the motor leans out and detonates into bent rod(s).

Back