My 7 year's experience with Hypertech...

Hi pdqgp - Are the numbers you have listed at the crank, or is that "at the wheels"? Do you run a testpipe/downpipe? I ask because I too have the Hypertech, with a ms cai, ms cbe, and autotech internals (I don't have a downpipe due to Calif. smog laws, and I have heath issues that prevent me from working on my car).

Power to the wheels.

I have also read on another forum that some guys running Hypertech tunes blew their motors - anyone know about this? I have been very happy with my setup, and I agree with what you said - more usable rpm range, smoother, and a bit more power.

never heard that. if they blew their motors they likely had a downpipe or FMIC upgrade without the supporting mod of a better fuel pump. otherwise, the car runs pig rich. In fact even with the Hypertech tune it's pig rich in the 10's and lower AF Ratio wise.

My goals were to fix the known issues - shocks, motor mounts, shift linkage, and give it some light power mods!

I'm 110% confident in the Hypertech tune. Have the data to prove it from a number of logs and pulls. It's more than safe to the point they are likely leaving power on the table.

FWIW it is virtually unheard of for guys to blow engines on HT. On Cobb AP guys make stupid tuning choices in their maps or push their mods too far and go zoom, zoom boom on a frequently self-reported basis. If an engine blows on an HT tuned car, it is, as stated above, due to incompatible mods such as failing to upgrade the fuel pump internals when running a downpipe, especially catless.

I'd like you to tell us what forum you found that info. This board will not allow us to cross link posts on other boards, :-( but if you post the board name and describe the thread in general terms, and the approximate date we can find it and see what really happened.

Bear in mind that you can blow an engine on stock tune if you make stupid mod choices or abuse your car.

With my mods below I'm at a real 290-300 whp on this tune. There are many posts with dyno pulls on other boards from other users with similar setups as mine doing the same thing. My car ain't no gold plated unicorn. I'm just carefully maxing out (or very close to it) the capabilities of the stock K04 turbo on pump gas.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with the HT on my 2007 MS3; my only other mods are a MSCAI, Koni FSDs, and Michelin PSS tires on Gen 2 wheels. My last mod will likely be a JBR RSB. My car is now an excellent DD yet is still capable of running HPDEs with little fear of blowing an engine.
There are no new cars-and darn few used cars-priced under $35k that I would rather own. Maybe a used E46 M3, Z4 M Coupe or a Cayman- but not much else

I have a 2011 with all the mods listed below and with a Hypertech just about since i have owned the car and I have been very pleased with the performace (car feels very quick). I think for people who don't want to do custom tunes i feel its great choice!

Back