Multiple ABS DTCs after a LR sensor change

StevieB32

:
02 Mazda Protege 5
Hi,
1)I had an ABS code 14 prior to changing my left rear sensor, and after the installation of the new sensor, I now have 5 codes!!!!!!(for reference 13,14,48,51,63).Has anyone experienced multiple codes like this after changing a sensor?Has anyone had multiple ABS codes generated and found the fault to be a worn battery and low voltage(that code 63 looks suspicious!!)? I just bought this car recently and the battery may be weak, though I have no other symptoms.
2)I'm familiar with the manual-prescribed method of clearing ABS diagnostic trouble codes, and I am following the procedure carefully...but my danged codes won't clear!!! My brake switch is functioning, and I'm respecting the less than 1 second interval between the 10 brake applications, and I drove the car at greater than 10km/hr after clearing.Has anyone not been able to clear DTCs using the manual-prescribed method?
3)Lastly, I also pulled the 60 amp ABS fuse, and was surprised to see the ABS and handbrake lights were still on.I haven't had a chance to reconnect the fuse and verify if I still have codes, but I'm not even sure what outcome I should expect from pulling the fuse as I can only find a passing reference to the procedure in the forum and nothing in the manual.It must obviously disable the ABS, but does it also clear codes, and should it clear the ABS/handbrake lights from the display?
Thanks for your thoughts re my numerous questions!!

Last edited:
C'mon, don't be shy.

Ok, let's try the easy one first....what happens when u pull the 60 amp ABS fuse? ABS is disabled...check...but are ABS DTCs cleared?...barring any other problems(bum battery for example) should the ABS and brake dash indicators also be turned off?
After some mucking about it seems that, at least in my case, pulling the ABS fuse did not clear the DTCs

Last edited:
..progress made

I've made some progress , and for the sake of others to refer to, I'll post some updates.
The battery is fine, and not causing codes due to low voltage. I haven't ruled out a bad intermittent ground, but the battery voltages under no load and load are well within spec. (Further searching indicates a weak battery can generate an ABS DTC)
Erasing ABS DTCs. After fishing around a bit I found this code clearing procedure for Mazdas on another site ( http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/MazdaABS/ERASING.php )
1. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Link terminals(of the underhood diagnostic outlet) with a Link wire as shown in the diagram below (see above link for proper diagram)
3. Turn the ignition ON.
4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
5. Press the brake pedal 11 times at a rate of 1 pulse per second - note the ON time must be as short as possible.
6. Re-test to see if the codes have been cleared.

....[ ][ ] .. [ ][ ]
.[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
..[ ][x][ ][ ][ ][ ]

..[ ][ ][x][ ][ ][ ]
....[ ][ ] .. [ ][ ]

This method differs from the manual method in several ways.It suggests connecting the TBS(upper) terminal to a ground terminal(lower) within the diagnostic connections rather than a ground in the engine compartment using a jumper wire, it suggests using a simple bare metal paper clip to form the bridge (which most of us have ready access to-I always have to look around for a wire and clip when I need one) and a rigid paperclip slips nicely into the terminals. Lastly it indicates how much time to wait before braking, how fast to press the brake pedal and to press 11 times (suggesting the manual's "10 times" is a minimum).
In my case this method cleared all but the code 13, so I'll be checking my right rear sensor tomorrow.

Right rear ABS sensor replaced with drum version sensor

The code 13 turned out to be a bum right rear ABS sensor- the resistance was way off the 1,3 to 1,7 kohm range. I installed a right rear drum brake ABS sensor from a Protege, per a thread mentioned here that originated on toprotege.com.
Local Mazda dealer wanted $221Cdn+tax for the "correct" right rear disc ABS sensor, and I purchased the right rear drum ABS sensor, p/n B25D-43-71YB (left side is B25D-43-72YB) for $62Cdn +tax. I can confirm that it appears to be identical in all aspects, except the angle of the wire where it exits the sensor body is about 30 degrees off, which causes no problems on the install.
ABS/brake lights are now off and abs is functioning.

Last edited:
Back