Muffler options?

MShreve

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6
Hey all,

What are some good muffler options for the MS6? I have a buddy who's willing to custom fab the 3" pipe, but I need to supply the muffler (single cat back).
I like the sound of the CP-E and Corksport CBE's, but I don't see that they sell the mufflers seperately (although I haven't asked either). Do they fab those themselves?
I also like the sound of some of the Magnaflow kits I've heard on YouTube, but not all.
I'm looking for a nice throaty rumble at idle with a raspy top end...without being too abnoxious. I don't want old people cussing at me while driving around the neighborhood :)
Any suggestions or experience is much appreciated. Sound clips would be awesome!

Last edited:
im runnin corksport.. you can go fab your own mufflers but, by the time you buy the resonators and tubing it wont make sense.. not because you cant make a custom exhaust.. but to make a 3' pipe fit into our little fittings you have to make it perfect!! theres very little room to spare in between the tips and muffs.. so your friend better be good.. or i would have went to a local muffler shop too.. and just in case you care?? ill be posting those CS up for sale soon.. i gotta a firm waring from a local cop.. and it was the exhaust he noticed.. the sound is sweet a little loud.. but, anything less comes off a little week sounding on this car.. let me know ill send you a pic and some info if youre in the market??

im runnin corksport.. you can go fab your own mufflers but, by the time you buy the resonators and tubing it wont make sense.. not because you cant make a custom exhaust..

He's not making me a custom muffler, just the piping.

but to make a 3' pipe fit into our little fittings you have to make it perfect!! theres very little room to spare in between the tips and muffs.. so your friend better be good.. or i would have went to a local muffler shop too.. and just in case you care??

He's very good. He works at a deisel performance shop making custom IC kits and exhausts every day.

ill be posting those CS up for sale soon.. i gotta a firm waring from a local cop.. and it was the exhaust he noticed.. the sound is sweet a little loud.. but, anything less comes off a little week sounding on this car.. let me know ill send you a pic and some info if youre in the market??

Do you have the CS TBE or CBE? Their TBE is LOUD. I love it, but would be worried about neighbors and cops.

You're selling just the mufflers? If so, I'd be interested in one of them...if you don't mind splitting up the set.

Honestly unless you have a downpipe the exhaust isn't going to be that loud no matter which way you go. I haven't heard the corksport catback in real life but I had a GHL and now I have magnaflow.

If you wan't throaty / raspy than stay away from magnaflow. Most of the magnaflow's have a similar sound which is a smooth humm more of less. No gurgly stuff.

well in my opinion corksport is loud.. but im running cat back.. so?? its all opinion..

and my point is still the same theres no axelback systems available to adapt too.. except Autoexe that i know of?? (@ $1200) so the entire exhaust WILL be custom.. and you can chose from different diameters and resonators etc.. but the fit will have to exact!! this is nothing like a regular muffler.. theres no room for error whatsoever.. or you will have rattling all day long or melted plastic back there.. its just a little warning.. ive read about 20 threads about custom pipes that wont fit the metal tips we have.. most guys go 2" or 2 1/2" for custom set ups..

sure ill sell you the mufflers without the pipe $500 shipped??

Honestly unless you have a downpipe the exhaust isn't going to be that loud no matter which way you go. I haven't heard the corksport catback in real life but I had a GHL and now I have magnaflow.

If you wan't throaty / raspy than stay away from magnaflow. Most of the magnaflow's have a similar sound which is a smooth humm more of less. No gurgly stuff.

Thanks for the info. I think you're right about the magnaflow, they're pretty mellow sounding.

I only need 1. And I could buy the CP-E single CBE for $588.

that is a full exhaust system.. just one pipe.. no mufflers!!

its very close to what you could get made at most local muffler shops.. but , i believe they(CPE) charge extra for each resonator??

My exhaust is: 3" magnaflow high flow cat, 3" piping with a magnaflow resonator, split into 2 2.5" pipes at the y-bend, no mufflers. The car is loud, but not to the point where I worry about getting pulled over. It is all custom piping and I got it all for waaaay less than what CP-E charges for their catback only system with no mufflers.

If your friend is willing to do this without charging labor and you wanted to go with a downpipe back set up with only 1 pipe, I can't imagine it costing more than 300 or so. Much better idea IMO

Concur. I had bought the full TBE from Corksport but was running around with just the race pipe and catback for a week or two before I installed my downpipe. The downpipe made a HUGE difference in the tone and amount of noise that came out of the car. It sounded really lacking up in the higher RPMs before the downpipe but after...it's sounded straight up mean and nasty! Love it!

I really need to get some videos of me taking off and winding it out. My friend was next to me at a light on Monday when I took off. She texted me something along the lines of "OMG YOUR CAR SOUNDS SO FKNING HOT!" I've gotten lots of compliments on it and zero issues with the police....and I live in Washington state :). I've getting some more backfires with it lately and I wish I could duplicate it on demand! I wonder if my car shoots a flame out the exhaust when that happens? I know my friend's MS3 does with the Corksport TBE.

PS....hey MShreve! :p

Back