mudflaps for GT

:
Mazda 5 GT
No idea why MAZDA does not have mud guard for the Mz5 GT.. here in saskatchewan, flaps help prevent the salt from residing under the side skirt the whole winter season. I had to use those mudflaps at the canadian tire.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,255
Splash Guards

I just got a set of splash guards for our '07 Sport under the Christmas tree. When I was researching them for my Christmas list, I was told that the Splash guards (front) ONLY fit the Sport due to the Side Sill Extensions of the higher end models. Not sure if it's easy to ditch the extensions on a GT model, but looking at the packaging, it looks like that's the only way, as they are custom molded.

Now if if I could get a day where it isn't so nasty out, I could was her up and figure out how to install the guards and the rear bumper guard!

P.S. If anyone wants photos of either part, let me know

No idea why MAZDA does not have mud guard for the Mz5 GT.. here in saskatchewan, flaps help prevent the salt from residing under the side skirt the whole winter season. I had to use those mudflaps at the canadian tire.

Mud guards make for great prarie dogs eh... lol(poke)

yeah.. mudflaps on the MZ5.. its almost like an umbrella. They don't look pretty to be taking with you around. Until it rains real hard.. At the mall, I parked by another MAZda5 GT without a mudflap.. That mz5's side skirt is covered thick 'dried slurpy of snow'. lolz..

Original intention was for the mudflap to come off come summer time. But then, there are parts of the prairie roads with little peebles in them. The thought of flying stone chipping the side paint made me decide to keep the mudflap whole year round.

yeah.. mudflaps on the MZ5.. its almost like an umbrella. They don't look pretty to be taking with you around. Until it rains real hard.. At the mall, I parked by another MAZda5 GT without a mudflap.. That mz5's side skirt is covered thick 'dried slurpy of snow'. lolz..

I have to second the comment on the mud streak down the side of the 5. I think the moment i realized that we really needed them was turning onto our street in slushy weather a few weeks back ands watching a geyser of slush shooting straight up about 5 feet in the air.

As far as looks, I don't mind the guards/flaps. There are just a fact of life for some people. I can't imagine driving one of those slammed 5's with the body kits and 18s or 19s around here in the winter. Heck there was 4 inches of snow on the driveway just the other day!

I noticed one additional benefit my winter tires (Goodyear UltraGrip7) gave me, my Mazda5 is less dirty than most cars here especially when there are lots of slush on the roads. There are still the thick 'dried slurpy of snow,' but only in the wheel wells and below the side skirts. The tires throw out the sides most of the slush, keeping the car relatively cleaner than most cars out here. (drive2)

Thanks to Skyhawk for helping me with the mudflaps. His photos helped a lot.

I finally settled on these types for the rear of the Mazda5. Hopefully Madza will eventually have the correct accessory for us North American types.
Mud%20flaps%20rear-1.jpg

Installed them today. Not the best, but they will do the job until the correct ones are installed.
Mud%20flaps%20rear-2.jpg

Just tried to install the same mudflaps on my GT as sapacif, but found that aside from the predrilled holes on the outer edge, there is nothing but plastic on the inside of the wheel well. The outer edge sits nice, but inside it's floppy and I'm worried that something could catch and pull it off. Any suggestions?

I like the flap you used. I'll be changing mine when they are worn.

If it is plastic at back of the inside of the mudflap, then it is safe to drill a hole
on the plastic (i.e. no danger of rusting). Then just screw the flap to the plastic. Had the same problem in the front. I drilled on the side sill surface backing the flap.

As the tire rolls over those nasty speed hump in malls for example, you'll hear the flap scrape on the speed bump. the flap material should be flexible enough to aborb the force instead of it pushing back on the mounting screws.

Last edited:
Time to wake up this thread. Inspired by skyhawk and sapacif (above), I now have a pair of these exact universal Roadguard jobbies on order for use on the front. I also have a pair of the official OEM rear ones coming (by way of a complicated family-based arrangement) from Europe, where they are available. I carefully compared hi-res photos of the Euro/UK version of the 5 to my own car, and have concluded that the rear fender well profile is the same for all practical purposes. Even if the fit is not exact, I am sure it will be close enough and adaptable. Will post photos of the result when/if installed.

I just installed OEM front mud guards on our new M5 Sport - no side sill extensions though the installation sheet seemed easy enough to follow if you had to cut the trim. An easy 3-screw affair (that doesn't sound right. . .) and they were ready to go in :15min.

You might want to check that earlier comment about using Civic guards for the rear, to get an idea of the profile.

Hopefully your guards from the other side of the pond work out close, if not an exact OE fitment.

Mix n' Match Mud Guards

OK, here we go. Did the winter wheel changeover yesterday (see General Altimax Arctics with steelies in the pix), and installed the new mud guards while I had the wheels off. The cheapie specials on the front as suggested by sapacif, and the OEM Mazda European version on the rear.

As you can see, the Euro OEM version is a very close (but not 100% exact) fit, there is a small mismatch of the rear fender contour at the crease, but it's not a big deal. The two pre-punched holes in both flap and fender matched up perfectly, and the capture nut clips included fit just fine in those locations.

The only one that didn't line up correctly is the third one you don't see underneath, and that was easily remedied by a self-tapping screw. The diagrams in the included paper instructions were not too helpful, but this isn't rocket science. The written instructions were actually hilarious (and essentially useless), as they were in one of the worst English translations that I have seen since I worked on Sony pro analog video gear back in the late 1970s.

Example instruction: "Tightening the bolts certainly. If the bolts are tightened by out of regulation torque, the mud flaps may be broken or dropped out". There are more, too numerous to list.

In any case, they worked out OK, but a tad pricey at 48.00 given the current exchange rate. In combination with the cheap front solution, not so bad overall.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,733
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,295
Back