MSP pros & cons

when i sit in the car while it idles at a stoplight or drive-thru i play w/ the shifter a lot. i put it through all the gears and reverse. this seemed to help because the action of putting in and taking out of reverse is a lot smoother and doesn't require much effort. i don't knoe if it's just me, but yeah, reverse is just like my miata's transmission now (the miata tranny is so short, i was surprised as compared to the MSP)

rust on brake hubs

On my mp5 I'm also getting some rust on my brake hubs, should I take it in, is this serious and what could be causing this, thanks,

Rob

Black Majik MSP said:
I have been talking to someone who is considering getting an MSP & we agreed that it would be very helpful to start this thread for people who are researching the MSP. Please list all pros & cons that you have with YOUR Mazdaspeed. Only list real factual things please: for ex, "My car is really cool" doesn't help, but "I get compliments from random people all the time" does (which I do :D ). I'll start off with my own & after we get a bunch of responses, I can edit my post to include all of them. For any cons you list, please also include the associated fix (if there is one).

PROS
  • PRICE (depends on location, but generally cheaper than just about any other sport sedan or coupe in it's class...especially with some of the steals people are getting)
  • compliments from random people & all of your friends
  • phenomenal handling (best in FWD, best under $35k, 8th best in the world)
  • sound system is perfect for listening to MP3s, even while driving on the highway with the windows down
  • gauges look good & are easy to read day & night
  • stock Bridgestones have excellent grip (sorry winter folks :p )
  • quick car, easily upgradeable to fast with some basic bolt-ons & raising the boost
  • best stock wheels included on any car
  • interior is gorgeous (matching stitching on seats, shift boot, & steering wheel)
  • limited slip ROCKS! (I pulled a 2.25 60' with my car still stock)
  • heavy-duty clutch
  • heavy-duty driveshafts
  • Mica paint colors are incredible & unique
  • interior controls & console are all well placed & easy to use & there is more than enough storage space (pocket on left, radio pocket, space behind cupholders)
  • steering control is very responsive & provides excellent feedback
  • braking is VERY good (60-0mph brake test should be a part of everyone's test drive :D )
  • aftermarket support (despite what people may think, the support is there & just about anything you might want is available or in development)
  • Garret T25 spools up very fast (good torque in the low to mid rev range)
  • limited production car
    icon2.gif
    very unique & not something you'll see 3x a day (unless you live in Orlando :p )

CONS
  • HESITATION - ECU reflash from dealer fixes it (if you want to run higher boost, you can choose not to get the flash & attempt to correct with Joe P FPR instead)
  • CLUNK in rear suspension - dealer will replace bushings with part #BN7H-156E (past "fixes" haven't been permanent...no guarantee that this one will be)
  • rust on brake rotor hubs - fixed by dealer
  • coolant leak - fixed by dealer
  • clicking sound when letting off the gas after backing up
  • head unit "flips out" - hit reset button
  • clicking sound & associated vibration come & go whenever car is on (only audible at idle) - greatly reduced when coolant leak was fixed by dealer, but still somewhat present
  • driving is very linear (tires follow all of the grooves in the road)
  • 1 to 2 shift is somewhat notchy - I will attempt to improve shifter feel with Kartboy shifter bushings & Redline synthetic tranny fluid, but it probably won't eliminate it
  • frequently difficult to engage/disengage reverse - try putting it into reverse when rolling or let off clutch & depress again
  • no cruise control (only really wanted it for trip to NOPI) - I think it can be installed by the dealer
  • no matching aluminum dead pedal (OK, I'm just being picky on this one)
  • horrible wheel hop at the track (I still need to work on my launch) - I will attempt to eliminate with AWR motor mounts & TEIN springs
  • acceleration seems to drop off as you get close to redline (due to small turbo)
  • stock alarm is WAY too sensitive - easily fixed by turning the white knob on the shock sensor to the left
  • not enough bolstering on the sides of the stock seats to hold you in during hard cornering - can be corrected by replacing stock seats with aftermarket racing seats
  • ECU is currently unable to be tuned - Spool has a new piggyback coming out soon: DETAILS
  • internals either aren't forged or are, but are still relatively weak (the max amount of power that can be safely run is limited to 250whp) - can be corrected by upgrading to forged internals (again, not cheap)
  • stock diverter valve leaks - I fixed it by replacing with Forge diverter valve
  • problems with sub (too "boomy" or goes out) - fixed by dealer
  • no intermittent wiper control - can be purchased from Mazdastuff.com (for the P5...not sure if it works on the MSP)
  • stock Bridgestones SUCK in snow - buy winter wheels & tires
  • lack of a 6 speed tranny means highway cruising is a little high
  • no standard sunroof (not that I care...I get superior structural rigidity instead :p ) - can be dealer installed under warranty with factory quality for around $1000
  • Callaway elbow on stock airbox sucks in hot air & is prone to falling off (causing the fan to blow directly into the airbox, which can make the car stall) - replace with an aftermarket intake

*CONS in bold are those that I have experienced & might not exist on other MSPs, but I am listing for the benefit of anyone who might get them*

When describing your +/-, keep in mind that this thread is primarily for people who aren't familiar with the MSP.

Pretty good thread. I had to review it again :)

I would consider clarifying the "8th best in the world" handling comment. This is not true. I can think of 10 cars off the top of my head that would spank it. I assume you are referring to the Car&Driver article though.

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I'd like to add that the blind spots on the driver's side mirror are HUGE.

mx3ownzj00 said:
Pretty good thread. I had to review it again :)

I would consider clarifying the "8th best in the world" handling comment. This is not true. I can think of 10 cars off the top of my head that would spank it. I assume you are referring to the Car&Driver article though.
No it was a Road and Track article called "Great Grip".
BTW..what are the ten cars that could spank the MSP/MP3??

Oh and on topic.
Some cons of the MSP:
1. Seats..need more side support.
2. Radio. Give me 30 more horse power and give me a basic radio.
3. Only one AC outlet(this is nitpicking)

Not too much wrong IMHO.. :)

What 10 regular production cars.... There's countless special market cars out there.

-FD RX-7
-Corvette Z06
-Maybe even a C5
-All EVO's beginning with atleast the V's
-All year STi Imprezas
-Lotus Elise
-Porsche GT2
-Porsche GT3
-Porsche 595
-E46 M3
-E46 M3 CSL Edition
-Viper (all trims)
-JDM Type R (different suspension than Us-spec Type R)
-I can start listing exotics and more rarities if you'd like.

Slalom times are only part of a good handling car, so please don't bother listing just that section of a comparision. Saying the MSP is the 8th best handling car in the world is a joke. (cheers)

More reg. production vehicles:
-Acura NSX
-Audi S4 B5&B6 chassis
-BMW M Coupe
-BMW Z8
-Ford Windstar

Last edited:
mx3ownzj00 Slalom times are only part of a good handling car said:
I agree with you on most of post. I think slalom times are good for day to day driving as it shows what speeds the car can maintain it's composure. Such as people making unexpected lane changes on the highway....... The MSP/MP3 are both up there, though.

Yes I completely agree with you, but how many times are you dodging traffic for 1000meters? They handle great, but please don't let that destroy common sense.

Puckpimp71 said:
Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I'd like to add that the blind spots on the driver's side mirror are HUGE.
Search for a post by TheMAN about mirrors...it's a relatively easy fix.

daperspeed said:
Oh and on topic.
Some cons of the MSP:
1. Seats..need more side support.
2. Radio. Give me 30 more horse power and give me a basic radio.
3. Only one AC outlet(this is nitpicking)
1. It's already listed
2. Ignoring this one
3. How many other cars in this class have more than one? Usually only SUVs have a bunch.

mx3ownzj00 said:
-FD RX-7
-Corvette Z06
-Maybe even a C5
-All EVO's beginning with atleast the V's
-All year STi Imprezas
-Lotus Elise
-Porsche GT2
-Porsche GT3
-Porsche 595
-E46 M3
-E46 M3 CSL Edition
-Viper (all trims)
-JDM Type R (different suspension than Us-spec Type R)
-I can start listing exotics and more rarities if you'd like.
Slalom times are the main way that a car's handling is tested, so they do matter more than anything else. The MP3 beat the Z06, M3, & the EVO VII in slalom. The Lotus Elise was the only car there to beat it. As for your list, I believe the 3rd Porsche you are referring to is the 959 because they never made a 595. It's also supposed to be a list of cars than anyone can buy, so the 959 & CSL don't really belong there. Anyway, the fact that the MP3 is #8 on their Top 10 list & beat the 360 Modena in the slalom speaks for itself.

Last edited:
yea, sorry i meant a 959. i didn't realize there were restrictions on cars since we're talking about in the world...

how many times do i have to say that i'm not bashing MSP handling? please read my intial post. the MSP is NOT the 8th best handling car in the WORLD! that part of the pro's section need's to be clarified, because its not true by any stretch of the imagination. yes, it placed well when tested against sportscars but its not even in the top 20 best handling cars in the world.

please pass the crack.

Back